SPOILERS: Discussion of 'Shang-Chi'

Lucky Rabbit

I won't be the first to post spoilers, but I saw this movie Wednesday night in Chicago. Arguably the best MCU origin film. There is both a mid and a post credit scene. I wouldn't google anything about that if you want to remain in the dark. Too many people have seen it.

If you need a refresher on older MCU stuff heading into this movie. I'd suggest:
  • Iron Man
  • Iron Man 3
  • Marvel One-Shot: All Hail the King (Thor Dark World extra if you have the DVD/Blu-Ray) but you can find it online:

Obviously there's been Ten Rings references in Iron Man 2, Ant-Man, etc. but those 3 things will have you prepared for most of the MCU tie-ins.

Mouse Trap

Reposting my review from the non-spoiler thread:

While the film is an origin story and does not have nearly the epicness and grandeur of an Endgame or Infinity War, it's one of the stronger origin stories, maybe top 3. The film has a lot of heart, wonder and it pushes the boundaries in certain aspects of what we've typically seen in Marvel films.

It's a 7.5/10 in my book and worth the price much more-so than Black Widow.

Wendy Pleakley

This was a fun movie. It's a Marvel movie. They're always fun and well written such that they don't drag.

The early fight scenes were the best part, especially the skyscraper set piece.

Maybe because we just saw dragons in Raya, but the ending felt like exactly what one would expect in every single Asian movie. Just left me wondering, are dragons the thing that are always in every movie that focuses on Asian characters?

I'm slightly bemused that they continue to try and fix the unpopular use of the Mandarin in Iron Man 3.

The chemistry of the two characters was great and I'm eager to see more of them.

The end credits scene brought back the feeling that the MCU is building to something big again. There was a feeling of, can they ever top this, after Endgame so it's good to get that feeling that big things are coming again.

BrianLo

I'm slightly bemused that they continue to try and fix the unpopular use of the Mandarin in Iron Man 3.

It feels like a point of pride, they seem to put a lot of effort into retconning their past mistakes.

Thor the Dark World is arguably one of the most important movies now, which is funny considering its reception initially.

Giss Neric

Aside from the over the top CGI fest on the third act of the movie (which is expected from Marvel but not bad CGI--decent to somewhat great), I thought it was great and definitely in my top 5 MCU films. The choreography on the fight scenes are top notch. My basis of how good a movie is if it deserves a repeat watch and this one does.

Princess Leia

Alright, so I wanted to really like this movie. The cast was phenomenal, so I had high hopes.
It had gorgeous fight sequences. The opening fight in the forest was beautiful and kind of sexy, the bus fight had incredible choreography, and the two fights in Macau were pretty great too.

That being said, I zoned out for the final third of the film. Once they entered the magical realm, I completely lost all interest. IMO, the movie didn’t need that. If it had stayed in the mortal realm (with a little magic), I would have enjoyed the film a lot more.

Ghost93

I think Shang Chi has the best action sequences of any MCU movie. It was like watching an aggressive dance, and I mean that as a compliment. I also really liked the characters — particularly Shang Chi, his friend Katy and his father Wenwu. I also thought the movie did a lot to flesh out the more mystical aspects of the MCU and was overall a great example of worldbuilding.

I did think the movie was plagued by some clunky dialogue and exposition. I also thought the middle of the movie dragged a bit. But the pros of the movie far outweighed the cons, and I would consider it among the upper middle MCU entries.

My very subjective ranking of the MCU thus far:
1. WandaVision
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3. Infinity War
4. Endgame
5. Captain America: Civil War
6. Black Panther
7. Iron Man
8. Guardians of the Galaxy
9. Thor Ragnarok
10. The Avengers
11. Spider-man: Homecoming
12. Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2
13. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the 10 Rings
14. Thor (I like this movie way more than most)
15. Loki
16. Spider-man: Far From Home
17. Dr. Strange
18. Black Widow
19. Avengers: Age of Ultron
20. Captain Marvel
21. Iron Man 3
22. Ant-man
23. Falcon and the Winter Soldier
24. The Incredible Hulk
25. Ant-man and the Wasp
26. Thor: The Dark World

I'll have to see how "What if?" ends before I rank it.

doctornick

Just got out of this. Really really loved this. A fun, action packed, gorgeous film.

Now the question is… what is the sister up to?
Yeah I wondered that as well. Is she doing an “evil” Ten Rings but just with more girl power? Or a more benevolent organization? And it seemed to show off that there would be broadcasts from there so maybe it’s just a souped up version of her old fight club?

gerarar

Premium Member
Saw this last night. Family and I enjoyed it a lot.

The action/fight scenes were beautifully choreographed and shot. Really liked the flashbacks and how majority of it were in Mandarin. Music was top notch too!

Didn’t know Wong was going to be in it (apparently he was in the final trailer but I didn’t watch it), so that was a nice surprise. And man those karaoke scenes!!

Shang Chi had a lot of charisma and is just really likeable. Xu, the father, had the best performance imo. He had fantastic dynamics and chemistry with Shang and the mother.

Overall, probably a top 3 origin story for me. Gonna go see it again definitely. The showing I attended yesterday was about 70% full, and everyone seemed to enjoy and love it. Lots of laughs from the many comedic moments.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom