Splitting Epcot in half

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
Would it do good for Future World and World Showcase if they divided the 2 sections into 2 individual parks and expanded them to make them full day parks?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I don't see any immediate benefit. The concept of EPCOT was greatly bastardized from what Walt envisioned. When Walt died, the Disney Company decided they really were not interested in getting into the city management business...so, they abandoned that concept, and instead tried to pay homage to the World's Fair, which played a huge role in park development (Animetronics, for example).

EPCOT opened as a permanent Worlds Fair, with the front half representing the future, and the back half celebrating various world cultures.

I think what would really help EPCOT, is going back to this original concept, and focusing on the future. It's very short sighted of WDI (or Disney management, I suspect that's where most of it is coming from) to think that edu-tainment and touching experiences don't have a marketable value.

I didn't remember much about Magic Kingdom when my parents took me in 1983, outside of the Contemporary and the Monorail, but I did remember EPCOT. I loved Figment, I remembered the huge "ball"...even my daughter knows the "silver golf ball", and adores that park, even in it's current state.

It touched me.

Later, I got to go back a lot, because my Grandparents lived near Orlando. And EPCOT was by far where I wanted to be. This was the late 80s, early 90s. In fact, the year I turned 16, I applied for a job at Disney. I didn't get one, since I was only in the area for a few months, but I couldn't imagine a better job to have then a sweeper at EPCOT. I spoke German and passable Spanish, and at that age, I went so much, I found myself stopping to answer guest questions (most common, where's the bathroom), even though I was just a teenager. Funny, as an adult, I still find myself doing that.

Anyhow, my point is that "thrill" rides are fleeting. What the original EPCOT had was lasting. And WDI and Disney needs to remember that. The kid might say today that they loved Mission Space or some thrill attraction, but will they remember the details of it in 20 years? I doubt that.

When it comes to Futureworld, Disney has lost sight of the ball, I think. Hopefully someone inspired will come around and breath magic back into that part of the park.

maryszhi

no.... plus they do not even have enough room to be able to do that. i think they need to add more rides and shows

englanddg

One Little Spark...
In fact, if Disney wants an ROI, I'd credit EPCOT for the reason why I'm a Disneyphile today, and wish to share it with my daughter annually. They've made tens of thousands of dollars off me alone over the various trips. When a theme park is fun, that's only part of the equation. When it's fun AND teaches life lessons that stay with a person forever, then it's a step above the rest. My kid won't remember much about Universal and it's expensively cheap thrills in 10 years, but she will always remember Spaceship Earth (and still does every trip, it's her favorite ride in Futureworld, and mine too).

She wasn't upset that Test Track was closed, but remembered the boats at Living with the Land, and begged to do them when she saw them after we exited Sourin'.

Anyhow...it's my own experience, and I know others are different, but I'd like to see EPCOT get treated the way it deserves.

J03Y

why? Epcot is Epcot because of both of them. take one away and you destroy the essence of the whole thing entirely, and you're asking to split them up? you need World Showcase to balance Future World and vice versa.

stevehousse

I remember watching a special years ago about how world showcase was a separate attraction/park at the beginning. Future world was wdi's homage to Walt's vision for the world of tomorrow. The imagineer they were interviewing said they were in a showroom where both park models were displayed and they literally decided to "push" them together to make one huge attraction. Why else do you think the park is twice the size of MK! They were both separate parks at one point in time at Disney!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I remember watching a special years ago about how world showcase was a separate attraction/park at the beginning. Future world was wdi's homage to Walt's vision for the world of tomorrow. The imagineer they were interviewing said they were in a showroom where both park models were displayed and they literally decided to "push" them together to make one huge attraction. Why else do you think the park is twice the size of MK! They were both separate parks at one point in time at Disney!

This is correct. At one point, World Showcase was going to be it's own park. There were even Monorail plans to extend to it.

But, there's a lot of Disney "woulda beens"...and as far as the current park as exists, I don't see the benefit in splitting them. Effectively they have, through management, as the World Showcase is in much better condition then Futureworld.

Cosmic Commando

I could be wrong, but I don't think World Showcase was ever designed to be its own theme park. Rather, it was an idea for an international-themed shopping area.

Acolli18

No matter how bad Future World is, most people go to Epcot for Future World. The World Showcase is sort of an added bonus with your admission...I would never pay for a WS ticket...

awesomeinabox

I just saw a video on progresscityusa.com while catching up on a whole summer's worth of blogs last night. The video mentions WS development as a stand alone feature, as well as EPCOT briefly at 2:59. I would love to see the rest of the video, if any of you have it PLEASE let me know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom