Splitsville Blog Meet-Up

PhotoDave219

Again, there should be a once a year limit on ALL guests, not simply bloggers. But it clearly isn't fair (and let me be clear that I have never attempted to sign up for one of these deals as they are not my thing) when the invite lists are always a 'who's who' of the Disney Lifestylers.

That sounds like a good idea, you should suggest it to the Disney Park's social media team. I mean 47,000 people visit the MK every day; people should be limited on the number of times they attend these "social media meetup" gatherings thingies.

Its a shame some very valid points that were brought up here (which i think I ranted on twitter about too) have been discredited and overshadowed by personal attacks, vendettas and agendas.

Disney does have a problem with whom they credential as "Media" and has a GIANT problem with how they do registration for their social media "meets."

WDW1974

apparently some of them got band a while ago for posting things that contradicted the owners of the site. I'm not exactly sure of all the details.

How do you know that? Who got banned? No one here probably contradicts the owner here more than me ... Lee might be a distant second with our UK buddy Martin right there. Steve doesn't go around banning people for contradicting him. ... I do know that both Tom and Merf have tempers (it's why I'd pay to have them wrestle in a kiddie pool full of PB&J and turkey legs ... we could do it on the beach to help kick off the selling of GF DVC and donate the money to charity!) and I'm sure obliterated the line to get tossed. Personally, I'd love it if they both were here (I am SURE the owner disagrees!) because you need different viewpoints ...

EastYorkDisFan

So, I'll ask again, what is your issue?

My issue is all this topic seem to be about is people complaining that other Poole who are Disney fans as well sign up for events that Disney puts on got in before they did. Even if they did go to a media event as well which get run very differently then the fan events.

WDW1974

Playing devil's advocate, a few of them do their own share of that as well. Such is life in the Disney fan community.

Please, they live off of it ... They bash me. They bash others here. They bash the site. Yet they read it, which is likely the most important thing.

I find it amusing that on the top WDW-centric site, none of these folks want to chat ... it's almost like they all know they have something to lose. It's all bizarre ...

vJosh

I have to wonder why you've been a member for four years and this is your first post. ... Sorry, I just feel that there isn't a coincidence. Were you a high school buddy of Tom Corless? Did you date Ricky Brigante? Help start Len Testa's business? Why out of all the subjects on MAGIC in the last four years is this one so damn important?

Tell me you don't honestly have a connection to one of the lifestylers and I'll consider answering the question.
See look...black hole.

I personally like to follow twitter and listen to podcasts more than I like to visit message boards and THEY linked back to here. My only connection was that several years ago, maybe 2008 by my Avatars reckoning, I was looking over the internets for something that could connect me back to the place I love to visit but can only visit once a year and found them and this place (both start with WDW) I personally prefer them and to this.

PhotoDave219

Based on what I could gather, there seems to be a lot of animosity between the various bloggers, so it seems the insults would be nothing new. Seeing that we do have many heated discussions here, being banned is something I find curious as, at least as long as I have been reading these forums, have never really been the domain of an iron fisted dictator who only allows those who agree with his position.

I've seen people banned before. Mousemerf was one. (We eventually found out his real name) Steve's usually pretty liberal about things here; he puts up with my crap. It takes a LOT of trollololol behavior to get him to lower the boom.

EastYorkDisFan

How do you know that? Who got banned? No one here probably contradicts the owner here more than me ... Lee might be a distant second with our UK buddy Martin right there. Steve doesn't go around banning people for contradicting him. ... I do know that both Tom and Merf have tempers (it's why I'd pay to have them wrestle in a kiddie pool full of PB&J and turkey legs ... we could do it on the beach to help kick off the selling of GF DVC and donate the money to charity!) and I'm sure obliterated the line to get tossed. Personally, I'd love it if they both were here (I am SURE the owner disagrees!) because you need different viewpoints ...

Like I said I don't know all of the details it's only what I have heard.

WDW1974

The difference is that these "lifestylers" have taken it beyond a hobby. They see it as their "job" to hang around the parks every day, "reporting" on the smallest of changes, heaping praise on every development, and hoping to ultimately be taken to the Mouse's bosom and be treated specially with free trips and access that other fans don't get.
That isn't a hobby...it's a lifestyle.

Or a mental illness. Seriously.

What do you think Old Dead Guy Walt wourd have said about the relatively new (in Anaheim it started earlier, like the mid to late 90s) phenomenon of people living in the parks? The MK wasn't created as a place to visit daily or even weekly. Even a park like TDS, I might want to spend a week there soaking it all in if time weren't an object, but after that? I'd be looking for real world Tokyo diversions ... I love EPCOT, but how do you go there daily and not want to put a gun in your mouth?

lazyboy97o

I've seen people banned before. Mousemerf was one. (We eventually found out his real name) Steve's usually pretty liberal about things here; he puts up with my crap. It takes a LOT of trollololol behavior to get him to lower the boom.
I was not doubting that people do get banned, I too remember Merf, but as you said, it seems to take a lot.

EastYorkDisFan

What do you think Old Dead Guy Walt wourd have said about the relatively new (in Anaheim it started earlier, like the mid to late 90s) phenomenon of people living in the parks? The MK wasn't created as a place to visit daily or even weekly. Even a park like TDS, I might want to spend a week there soaking it all in if time weren't an object, but after that? I'd be looking for real world Tokyo diversions ... I love EPCOT, but how do you go there daily and not want to put a gun in your mouth?

What is with people on Disney forums still concerned about what Walt would do. How many other companies still base their business strategy over what their long dead founder would do?

lazyboy97o

Angus knew not what he wrought. These people need to be praising Six Flags for pioneering and enabling the DisneyParks® lifestyle.

the.dreamfinder

Even a park like TDS, I might want to spend a week there soaking it all in if time weren't an object, but after that? I'd be looking for real world Tokyo diversions ... I love EPCOT, but how do you go there daily and not want to put a gun in your mouth?
OLC would never tolerate this crap.
EDIT: Tokyo, much like LA, is a fascinating city with so many little nook and cranies that make it unique (eg. http://tokyojazzsite.com/content/tokyo-jazz-clubs). TDR is just the icing on the cake.

PhotoDave219

My issue is all this topic seem to be about is people complaining that other Poole who are Disney fans as well sign up for events that Disney puts on got in before they did. Even if they did go to a media event as well which get run very differently then the fan events.

Thats the big issue. You have two entirely different departments at play here. Likely completely different business units; PR (who would handle credentialing media) and Social Media. Its unlikely that they have access to whom the credentialed media folks are to compare against who signs up for their social media events.

WDW1974

That sounds like a good idea, you should suggest it to the Disney Park's social media team. I mean 47,000 people visit the MK every day; people should be limited on the number of times they attend these "social media meetup" gatherings thingies.

I try and steer clear of Disney's Social Media team. ... We travel in different circles, but I would advise anyone here who was left out and sees the same folks from the sites on every invite list to contact them or perhaps even Jason Garcia who covers WDW for the O-Sentinel (this is the type of weak story that he might have interest in) and very nicely point out that something isn't right and fair and you're sure Disney wants to do right and be fair, so how can they change things.

Its a shame some very valid points that were brought up here (which i think I ranted on twitter about too) have been discredited and overshadowed by personal attacks, vendettas and agendas.

That's the nature of the 'net. And I'm sorry if your friend Ms. Litton got trapped in the middle as that certainly wasn't my intent or the intent of most here. ... But I also don't think anyone was being attacked (talking about someone, asking questions and making suggestions isn't attacking). As to vendettas, don't see that ... agendas, most certainly!

Disney does have a problem with whom they credential as "Media" and has a GIANT problem with how they do registration for their social media "meets."

Agreed on all counts. But I bet Tommy, Crazy Gary, Blondie and the CP gang think they're doing a bang up job.

lazyboy97o

Thats the big issue. You have two entirely different departments at play here. Likely completely different business units; PR (who would handle credentialing media) and Social Media. Its unlikely that they have access to whom the credentialed media folks are to compare against who signs up for their social media events.
I think that is part of the issue. While the different units at Disney may not know, the individuals do know if they were just at the media event. The issue is two ways, Disney (which I know often has different hands doing sometimes contradictory actions) allowing "media" to attend fan events, and "media" who just went to a media event signing up to attend a fan event.

WDW1974

Don't take this the wrong way, but I honestly don't recall seeing you post before ... do you ever post on News and Rumors?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom