Splitsville Blog Meet-Up

EastYorkDisFan

It's right here for them to see and read, so I am not entirely sure how it is behind anybody's back. And they can even join the forum and discuss the issue with as many words as they wish to utilize to convey their point.

not all of them can, some of them got band long ago. Also would you want to join a from where someone is insulting you?

vJosh

Wow! It's been a very long time since I logged in here. I would like to thank you all, those here and those I follow on Twitter, for sucking me into this black hole.

Owning a Disney focused web site or other business ... spending 4-5-6-7 days a week at WDW when you don't work for the Mouse ... planning your week based on when Test Track may be soft opening etc. Need more examples?
I know you may not respond because this appears to be my first post, unless I am mistaken about something, but isn't this statement the point of being a Disney fan? It's our hobby. It's no different that someone planning their week around a football game on the TV. Those people don't play for the professional sports team for which they cheer. But they sit in front of the TV anyway, because they are fans. I enjoy the photo updates from their site and from their twitter feeds. As someone who lives too far away to visit WDW more that once a year, I would like to thank them for what they do. I could be jealous of them for; A.) getting into these events or B.) for living within earshot of the world and getting to go whenever they feel like it, but I don't. They bring me closer to my favorite sports team.

EastYorkDisFan

Wow! It's been a very long time since I logged in here. I would like to thank you all, those here and those I follow on Twitter, for sucking me into this black hole.
:)

I know you may not respond because this appears to be my first post, unless I am mistaken about something, but isn't this statement the point of being a Disney fan? It's our hobby. It's no different that someone planning their week around a football game on the TV. Those people don't play for the professional sports team for which they cheer. But they sit in front of the TV anyway, because they are fans. I enjoy the photo updates from their site and from their twitter feeds. As someone who lives too far away to visit WDW more that once a year, I would like to thank them for what they do. I could be jealous of them for; A.) getting into these events or B.) for living within earshot of the world and getting to go whenever they feel like it, but I don't. They bring me closer to my favorite sports team.

excellent points, but you may be wasting your time here with them.

WDW1974

I can understand your point now. Yes maybe some of them are slimy, but can't the same be also be said about some of the people from main stream media too.

Sure. but you're still comparing apples and aardvarks. ... And at least with mainstream media there are certain ethical standards that are supposed to be followed. The social media landscape is a wild west, anything goes, scary new world.

EastYorkDisFan

Not really. This is all in the open, where (almost) anyone can come, defend themselves and participate.
Sadly, some folks prefer the safer and more closed environs of (ugh...) Twitter.

I wouldn't say twitter is any safer, yes you can lock your account so people you don't want to follow you can't see what you post. I just don't get why people feel the need to attack someone they don't know in the first place in a public forum.

lazyboy97o

not all of them can, some of them got band long ago. Also would you want to join a from where someone is insulting you?
Based on what I could gather, there seems to be a lot of animosity between the various bloggers, so it seems the insults would be nothing new. Seeing that we do have many heated discussions here, being banned is something I find curious as, at least as long as I have been reading these forums, have never really been the domain of an iron fisted dictator who only allows those who agree with his position.

EastYorkDisFan

Sure. but you're still comparing apples and aardvarks. ... And at least with mainstream media there are certain ethical standards that are supposed to be followed. The social media landscape is a wild west, anything goes, scary new world.

very true but so was main stream media at one point too.

EastYorkDisFan

Based on what I could gather, there seems to be a lot of animosity between the various bloggers, so it seems the insults would be nothing new. Seeing that we do have many heated discussions here, being banned is something I find curious as, at least as long as I have been reading these forums, have never really been the domain of an iron fisted dictator who only allows those who agree with his position.

apparently some of them got band a while ago for posting things that contradicted the owners of the site. I'm not exactly sure of all the details.

Lee

Adventurer
The difference is that these "lifestylers" have taken it beyond a hobby. They see it as their "job" to hang around the parks every day, "reporting" on the smallest of changes, heaping praise on every development, and hoping to ultimately be taken to the Mouse's bosom and be treated specially with free trips and access that other fans don't get.
That isn't a hobby...it's a lifestyle.

WDW1974

OK, so you do have a pony in this race?

Who was banned? Why were they banned? (I only know of two folks in the Twitverse that was the case with ... Tom Amity Corless Mongello and his mortal enemy Merfie!)

And I haven't seen a post insulting anyone unless they are very easily offended (and some folks certainly are, but, if so, have no business in any type of media situation).

WDWBryan

Isn't this statement the point of being a Disney fan? It's our hobby.
The way I see it if they were just fans that would be fine. But Disney has gone ahead and considered them media and invite them to things that just the fans can't attend. Which I agree is a waste of money. Then some of them turn around and sign up for event meant for disney fans to something they already got to preview as media.

I saw tweets from the dumbo chick where she and her boyfriend signed up so she could bring her two kids since the media event didnt include her family. God forbid she go a couple days later and spend some money after all the freebies she got and sit this one out so other fans get a chance to attend an event.

EastYorkDisFan

OK, so you do have a pony in this race?
nope

Who was banned? Why were they banned? (I only know of two folks in the Twitverse that was the case with ... Tom Amity Corless Mongello and his mortal enemy Merfie!)
Like I said I don't know all of the details.

And I haven't seen a post insulting anyone unless they are very easily offended (and some folks certainly are, but, if so, have no business in any type of media situation).

what topic are you reading where you haven't seen anything that could offend someone. As for who Disney selects to be at it's media event let them decided that.

WDW1974

I have to wonder why you've been a member for four years and this is your first post. ... Sorry, I just feel that there isn't a coincidence. Were you a high school buddy of Tom Corless? Did you date Ricky Brigante? Help start Len Testa's business? Why out of all the subjects on MAGIC in the last four years is this one so damn important?

Tell me you don't honestly have a connection to one of the lifestylers and I'll consider answering the question.

WDW1974

:)
excellent points, but you may be wasting your time here with them.

I wouldn't say twitter is any safer, yes you can lock your account so people you don't want to follow you can't see what you post. I just don't get why people feel the need to attack someone they don't know in the first place in a public forum.

Again, you have a pony in the race? Some reason why this thread was so important for you to start posting and going back and forth when clearly you see things differently than most of us do?

No one is being attacked. That's a great tool that online tools often use to get uncomfortable discussions shut down.

So, I'll ask again, what is your issue?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom