Splash Mountain's Drop Without Water

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
I wasn't able to take a picture because I was technically on the clock, but while at MK today training I discovered that apparently a motor broke that cause Splash Mountain's climax drop to be without water. Because it is only a show effect, the ride continues normal operation, but it's still very weird to see splash's drop without water flowing down. The water is suppose to be back up sometime this week.

Grizzly Hall 71

I wasn't able to take a picture because I was technically on the clock, but while at MK today training I discovered that apparently a motor broke that cause Splash Mountain's climax drop to be without water. Because it is only a show effect, the ride continues normal operation, but it's still very weird to see splash's drop without water flowing down. The water is suppose to be back up sometime this week.

I asked this question 2 weeks ago. Glad to know it will be back, I missed it.

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
I was shocked when I saw it and then had to know what happened. Hopefully it will be back soon. It was suppose to apparently be fixed 2 days ago...

coolmark18

Does every attraction not have a list of show effects that, if they arent working, the attraction must not open? I remember hearing something about this with the Haunted Mansion and Alien Encounter.

Surely a drop without water is a big enough show effect to not open? Or do Disney just make the sacrifice so people can ride it.

Computer Magic

Does every attraction not have a list of show effects that, if they arent working, the attraction must not open? I remember hearing something about this with the Haunted Mansion and Alien Encounter.

Surely a drop without water is a big enough show effect to not open? Or do Disney just make the sacrifice so people can ride it.
My thoughts exactly. Seems that a big part of the show just like the dolls not moving in IASW or no ghosts in HH.

stargrl33

Is there still water at the bottom that splashes people? I'm assuming yes...sorry if this is a silly question.:hammer:

wbc

I could have swore I saw this back before it opened. One of my visits to WDW had the structure built and they were running logs, however no one was on them.

I do remember one group of people (looked almost like guests) riding it though. I guess they were chosen as beta testers or something. It must have been summer of 1992.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
If TDO thinks that EE without a Yeti is fine and dandy, it's no wonder they would operate Splash Mountain without a splash.

BrerFrog

I guess they just decided to open it since that attraction eats a lot of peple and is quite popular. :shrug:

disneydata

That waterfall was on that list for Splash Mountain ...

Cmdr_Crimson

Thank you Youtube for this answer!
[YOUTUBE]
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X8ls5-Tblz8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X8ls5-Tblz8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
[/YOUTUBE]

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
If they keep going at the rate they're going, they could just close down all the parks for a year to fix everything. This is just getting silly.

HookemDanno

I could have swore I saw this back before it opened. One of my visits to WDW had the structure built and they were running logs, however no one was on them.

I do remember one group of people (looked almost like guests) riding it though. I guess they were chosen as beta testers or something. It must have been summer of 1992.

Talk about memories...I was part of a group that participated in a beta/ PR event before it opened. It was a very long and grueling day and a half. My cousin worked in PR at TDO then and she offered us an "outstanding opportunity" to "ride our newest attraction before anyone else".

My family and about two dozen others (I think most were Cast Members in Civi's) were stuck on there for photos and videos. I think I logged about 40 trips over a day and a half. Sometimes the water would be on, sometimes off. Various parts of the ride had music/ AA on and off at certain times while we "acted" amused/ thrilled/ etc. It was cool to be a part of the PR blitz, but it did essentially kill two days in the Park (we were down for a week). The thing I remember best was the complaints about the 2 minute bathroom breaks and the incessant shuffling of people into different groups so they could get just the look they wanted.

Hard to believe that was 18 years ago...

stargrl33

Talk about memories...I was part of a group that participated in a beta/ PR event before it opened. It was a very long and grueling day and a half. My cousin worked in PR at TDO then and she offered us an "outstanding opportunity" to "ride our newest attraction before anyone else".

My family and about two dozen others (I think most were Cast Members in Civi's) were stuck on there for photos and videos. I think I logged about 40 trips over a day and a half. Sometimes the water would be on, sometimes off. Various parts of the ride had music/ AA on and off at certain times while we "acted" amused/ thrilled/ etc. It was cool to be a part of the PR blitz, but it did essentially kill two days in the Park (we were down for a week). The thing I remember best was the complaints about the 2 minute bathroom breaks and the incessant shuffling of people into different groups so they could get just the look they wanted.

Hard to believe that was 18 years ago...

That is really cool though that you got to do that! In 1991 I went with my family to Disney and on the day we stopped at Universal Studios, we got asked if we wanted to ride a new attraction that wasn't open yet. Obviously we did, so we got to go on Back to the Future before it was open. Really cool!

Sloan

that just looks so wrong

Don't want to start yet another poor maint. debate here, but after having seen the video posted by Cmdr_Crimson, I must say that just looks so wrong. I guess I can understand running it for a little while they worked to get it fixed, but then to see the comment that the water effect there has been out for many days - again, just so wrong ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom