Splash Mountain

Tinkerbell 8

Original Poster
I have read in a few posts that Splash Mountain is usually closed in January, however I did not see it posted in the refub section. We are going the second week of January and I was wondering if its going to be open for our trip.

Master Gracey 5

Given the time between refurbs on most rides, I doubt we'll see a repeat closing of Splash this January as we did last year. Maybe they'll shut it down next year, but I'd be surprised if they did it two years in a row, especially when there are so many other rides that could use some down time and a touch up.

Tinkerbell 8

Original Poster
Thanks. Keeping my fingers crossed that its open for our trip, thats one of my favorite rides. Does anyone know when/if they will post the refurb sched if its going to happen?

Chezman1399

I know it was closed in 2006, that's when my CP started, January 17. 2007, I went for new Year's it closed a couple days after we left. 2008, I went down after New Year's, and it was opening the beginning of the trip and closed by the end of it. 2009, went for my gf's Birthday(January 28), it was closed. Most of the time it closed during the second or third week of January, and usually for 2-4 weeks.

January is cooler and there is lower attendance. It's the perfect time to give basic maintenance to a large water ride. They can drain it, clean it, paint it, tweak it, and do whatever else needs to be done for it that year during a time when it's not that busy.

Chezman1399

Given the time between refurbs on most rides, I doubt we'll see a repeat closing of Splash this January as we did last year. Maybe they'll shut it down next year, but I'd be surprised if they did it two years in a row, especially when there are so many other rides that could use some down time and a touch up.

I think it's more the ammount of wear water causes on the ride. It's a lot more work to refurb Splash, than probably most or all other rides in the world.

captainkidd

I think it's more the ammount of wear water causes on the ride. It's a lot more work to refurb Splash, than probably most or all other rides in the world.

That and the fact that people are disrespectful pigs and throw trash and gum all over the ride.:mad:

If I were a CM and saw someone doing that, I'd have them tossed out of the park.

britlightyear

Last week of Jan. 2010 Took a pic of a guy painting the thorns of a closed Splash...just thought it would be a neat picture. :shrug:
disney2010085.jpg

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
I'd count on it being closed, but I would HOPE that it won't be. It seems to be a tradition lately though.

They are putting in logs with lap bars?

I ahve to say im liking that lol, i ALWAYS feel like im going to fall out going down the last hill, I mean im about 110 lbs soaking wet(get it) and i just hahve this fear or falling out. its never happened but the first time riding it on every trip i have that feeling, never after that though

Thrill Seeker

Lap Bars are the major addition being made in our eventual refurb. Nothing has been announced yet, so nobody knows when it will happen, but it will happen.

I have seen the lap bar logs and they look really good. There will actually be more leg room in the new logs.

Lucky

They are putting in logs with lap bars?

I ahve to say im liking that lol, i ALWAYS feel like im going to fall out going down the last hill, I mean im about 110 lbs soaking wet(get it) and i just hahve this fear or falling out. its never happened but the first time riding it on every trip i have that feeling, never after that though
I think it's mostly to discourage people from standing up at any point during the ride. No one who is sitting like they're supposed to could possibly fall out on the drop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom