Splash Mountain

disney1077

Original Poster
I know you can get really wet sitting in the front row of the ride but I was wondering if you get just as wet sitting in the back row of the ride? I ask because the person I am going with does not want to get really wet but I would really like to try this ride.
Thanks!:)

mrtoad

I know you can get really wet sitting in the front row of the ride but I was wondering if you get just as wet sitting in the back row of the ride? I ask because the person I am going with does not want to get really wet but I would really like to try this ride.
Thanks!:)

You can get wet in all of the seats. I would recommend getting one of the ponchos when you get to the park. They are like $5 and wear it on the ride. I don't like to walk around wet either so I usually wear one.

disney1077

Original Poster
You can get wet in all of the seats. I would recommend getting one of the ponchos when you get to the park. They are like $5 and wear it on the ride. I don't like to walk around wet either so I usually wear one.
Do you get as wet as when you ride Kali River Rapids because I have ridden that and I barely got wet.
Thanks for the info.:wave:

mrtoad

I think with all of them it is hit or miss. I have gotten soaked on Kali. It also depends on when you go. The hotter it is, the wetter you get. They regulate the water at the bottom. The place you can get soaked really bad though is after you complete the ride and are in line waiting to get back inside to get out of your log, there is a small waterfall in one spot. I have many times gotten stuck next to it and gotten pretty wet. It is on the right so if your friend is wanting to stay dry, have them sit on the left side.

monorailguy01

ok this is how I figured this one out..... If the log is super top heavy in front everyone is getting wet.. If theres small people in front sutch as little kids, early teens ect. and your sitting in the back I would not worrie to much about gettting wet. I have to get wet on that ride or it just wouldnt be the same.. try to convice your friend to sit in the front get wet, I bet he/she will want to sit in front ever time they go on the ride..... It is a great experience if you have never been to Disney.... all you gotta look out for is "big people" tall and wide I would say if your in a log with them you are mostlikey going to get wet at some point in the ride.

Hope this helps have a great time :wave:

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
I have been on Splash only 9 times, in various seat, always full but once and never got more than a mist. However, I do usually see people coming off that are soaked!!! :confused:

sbkline

I have been on Splash only 9 times, in various seat, always full but once and never got more than a mist. However, I do usually see people coming off that are soaked!!! :confused:

I think that's because you have a 33% chance of getting soaked at the end. The reason I say that is because, unless they have changed it, every third log makes a huge splash. So, for example, the people two logs ahead of you might not make a huge splash. Then, if the log ahead of you doesn't make a huge splash either, then that means that you are the third log and you may very well get drenched. So it makes little difference what seat you are in. The big difference lies in whether or not you are the third log in the cycle.

mrtoad

I think that's because you have a 33% chance of getting soaked at the end. The reason I say that is because, unless they have changed it, every third log makes a huge splash. So, for example, the people two logs ahead of you might not make a huge splash. Then, if the log ahead of you doesn't make a huge splash either, then that means that you are the third log and you may very well get drenched.

I don't think that is the case. Every so many logs (3 might be right, I never counted) they shoot a canon of water out over the bridge at the bottom, it is not from the log. It is above it.

As for that canon, if you are in a log going past it (this is after you have dropped and are going slow around) and it goes off the should can actually hurt your ears. It is pretty loud up close.

sbkline

I don't think that is the case. Every so many logs (3 might be right, I never counted) they shoot a canon of water out over the bridge at the bottom, it is not from the log. It is above it.

Ya, I think you may be right. However, I am almost positive that the log is actually in the line of fire because I think the people in the third log get drenched from it. But I may be wrong on that. I just don't remember every getting overly wet on that ride and I always figured it was because we weren't "lucky" or "unlucky" (depending on how you look at it) enough to have been in that third log. Yet, other people speak of getting quite wet.

Either that, or maybe we're both right. I know you're right about the canon, because I remember that now. But I wonder if it could also be that they have it set up such that, somehow, the third log makes more of a splash, in addition to the canon. I'm sure someone else can clarify this for sure.

GenerationX

My wife and I bring emergency super-cheap ponchos for just this type of situation. They're less than a $1.00 each at Wal-Mart and come in a very compact package. After the ride, we either hand the poncho to someone in line or throw it out. We'd wear regular ponchos, but our backpack does not have the space (thanks to the kids' Mickey ponchos, which take up at least half of the available space!).

mrtoad

Ya, I think you may be right. However, I am almost positive that the log is actually in the line of fire because I think the people in the third log get drenched from it. But I may be wrong on that. I just don't remember every getting overly wet on that ride and I always figured it was because we weren't "lucky" or "unlucky" (depending on how you look at it) enough to have been in that third log. Yet, other people speak of getting quite wet.

Either that, or maybe we're both right. I know you're right about the canon, because I remember that now. But I wonder if it could also be that they have it set up such that, somehow, the third log makes more of a splash, in addition to the canon. I'm sure someone else can clarify this for sure.

Could be, I am not sure. I know I don't to be wet though as it usually makes for an uncomfortable day. I don't mind a little but ponchos are essential for me on that ride.

Rob562

To clarify all of the "splashes"...

There are three points in the ride that are the most likely places where you'll get wet:

Here they are in the order you encounter them:
1) Just after you get on the ride, you go up one lifthill, and circle around the pond out front. There is a fake "splash" created by water cannons on the big drop that you're circling around. One of the waves of this "splash" is aimed directly at the ride path just as you finish circling the pond before the second lifthill. So depending on the timing of your log, you may or may not get hit by this. Sometimes it lands in the water between logs, other times it hits a log dead-on. At most it gets one or two rows wet, but there's no way of knowing which ones. If I come off the ride soaking wet, this is ALWAYS the culprit.

2)When your log goes down the big drop, there's the splash created by the front of the log at the flat run-out section at the bottom. This is the same as every other log flume in the world. The logs on SPlash Mountain are actually designed to direct most of the water forward and *away* from the log to minimize soaking the riders, but you still get wet. Usually at least a heavy mist, sometimes the waves "splash back" at you from the sides, or for really front-heavy logs, up over the front.

3)After the big drop before you re-enter the building, there's a point where the logs are stopped so they can be spaced back out again. To the right is a waterfall coming down the canyon wall. If you're stuck sitting there for a minute you could get splashed, as the waterfall comes down only a few feet away from the log. In cold weather, this is often turned off. It's also usually turned off if the ride breaks down for any length of time so that the one log stuck next to it doesn't get soaked.

-The giant water cannon that goes off every third log on the giant drop doesn't hit any of the logs on the ride. It's aimed at the bridge out front. At most, you might get a slight mist from the water arcing overhead.

-There are a few other places in the ride where you could posisbly get a tiny splash, most notably the first drop. It all depends on the depth of the water, weight in the log, etc. but I've had a couple waves go out to the side and "bounce" off the walls only to splash back into the log or come up over the front...

Hope that helps.

-Rob

SewIn2Disney

Just to add.....usually you cannot choose your row, the CM's direct you to a row. I suppose if you asked you could request a row, but they really don't want that because then everyone would be requesting. Having a CM direct you cuts down on the wait because then people aren't fighting for a row, or all waiting for the first row, etc. (Much like it is if you were to go to a six flags park or the like)

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Just to be sure we always stash away a dozen of Targets Coleman ponchos before we hit AK or MK....random wetness happens, but good to have those ponchos especially to SIT ON!!!! On a really hot day its rather nice.....but in case of need pack a little flat poncho away...THEN GET BACK IN LINE FOR RIDE 2!!!! Need to get that better picture coming down the big drop.....:lol:

cmatt

*meh* dudley do right is better for wetness - so is popeye. Although its not to everyones tastes - i really dont care wether i get wet or not. I just use it as an excuse to avoid the shops as the air conditioning is too cold :) :D

Helenr

I think with all of them it is hit or miss. I have gotten soaked on Kali. It also depends on when you go. The hotter it is, the wetter you get. They regulate the water at the bottom. The place you can get soaked really bad though is after you complete the ride and are in line waiting to get back inside to get out of your log, there is a small waterfall in one spot. I have many times gotten stuck next to it and gotten pretty wet. It is on the right so if your friend is wanting to stay dry, have them sit on the left side.

I have to agree, on cooler days you very rarely get wet, we usually travel in late Oct, Nov or Dec and in my experience I have very rarely got wet on the rides, except on days when it in the mid/hig 70's and sunny! We rode Splash at night at MVMCP and only got alittle splashed.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
hmmmmmmmmmmmm...just maybe with this long refurb NEW splash spots will be added or those squirters cleaned out to extract MORE water per splashdown....:lol: Now that begs the question....last Feb when we were visiting I never saw the bridge wet nor the large squirt that goes above it the WHOLE week....nothing to do with the ride itself it was a seperate get wet squirt for the watching public and it was in the mid 80's half the time. Has anyone seen that function working this past year or have they done away with that? I had seen it every other trip....:confused: :animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom