News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Incomudro

McDonald’s is not a “Failure.”
Popular things are not”Failures”.

That’s all I was objecting to. Terrible and failure are not the same things. Everything you listed Tiana could “fail” at are mostly subjective and vary from person to person.

I think Frozen Ever After is terrible. But any ride that remains popular and makes enough people smile is not a failure. Habit Heroes was a failure.

This is going to be the most scrutinized makeover in theme park history. I got my popcorn ready.
McDonald's is a financial success.
It is an utter failure - by design - at making good food.

Midwest Elitist

Neither is Song of the South.

Not really. They equally non-racist.
Not quite. I think SotS is really tone deaf. Should we place things in historical context? Sure. But the problem isn't that Song of the South is racist per say, but that it glorifies a South that was awful for black people as being one of joy.
Granted, it was after WWII, but it's still not a good luck.
Honestly, Disney should have just taken Whoopie up on the offer of being a voice over for the film, and releasing it. IMO, the movie is bad but not "lock it up in a vault" bad. Not sure which film would deserve that tbh.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Do you have a Salt Substitute Life sticker on your car? lol
1674503695443.png

SNS

Not quite. I think SotS is really tone deaf. Should we place things in historical context? Sure. But the problem isn't that Song of the South is racist per say, but that it glorifies a South that was awful for black people as being one of joy.
Granted, it was after WWII, but it's still not a good luck.
Honestly, Disney should have just taken Whoopie up on the offer of being a voice over for the film, and releasing it. IMO, the movie is bad but not "lock it up in a vault" bad. Not sure which film would deserve that tbh.

I think our last chance was when they were doing the Disney Treasures 20 years old. Then we got almost everything that hadn't been seen in a long time. Song of the South and the uncut Fantasia (Sunflower scene) were among the few stuff we didn't get.

Rich T

McDonald's is a financial success.
It is an utter failure - by design - at making good food.
That’s your opinion, and you’re not the only one who feels that way. Others find it delicious and reliable in a pinch. No one expects it to be as good as non-fast food. It’s amazing at what it is, and it’s incredibly popular and one of the biggest success stories of the modern age.

Many consider Disney Parks to be the McDonalds of entertainment/travel options.

Midwest Elitist

That’s your opinion, and you’re not the only one who feels that way. Others find it delicious and reliable in a pinch. No one expects it to be as good as non-fast food. It’s amazing at what it is, and it’s incredibly popular and one of the biggest success stories of the modern age.

Many consider Disney Parks to be the McDonalds of entertainment options.
Disney is the Raising Cane's of entertainment options. That's right, I skipped Chick-fil-A.

RSoxNo1

What child hits 40 inches at 2? That would be an extreme percentile. For boys or girls, even more extreme, and I have tall kids.
I have a 3 year old that is average height and 37.25 inches. A friend has a son the same age who is off the charts and is at least 43 inches.

JD80

No, I am not. I am saying they are moving away from an attraction/IP due to associations with slavery and are voluntarily creating a brand new attraction to replace it with its own unique associations to slavery. In terms of the length of time it took for people to realize the association, the same could be said for Splash Mountain. It seems as though you are excusing the subsequent choices made by the company simply because you agree with their first choice to re-theme the attraction. The first choice may be the correct one but they aren't perfect in every decision they make.

The US had slavery in it. Probably shouldn't build a park in the US.

LittleBuford

Disney could have saved themselves a lot of trouble by just stating the change was because they wanted to finally give Tiana her own ride and the theme of Splash fit the bayou theme, similar to how Maelstrom became Frozen.

By making it about racism they’ve ensured the new ride will be scrutinized for any hint of racism.
But that is pretty much how Disney framed it. I don’t think they’ve ever once referred to the (perceived) issues surrounding the old theme, much less called it racist.

Rich T

That would be more like Six Flags or something. Disney and Universal Studios are the expensive theme parks.
I mean culturally, like comparing Walt Disney World to a trip to The Smithsonian or a European Tour (no, Epcot doesn’t count), or a National Park.

I’m not saying it’s a fair comparison, just that there are many people who say that, just as some people think McDonald’s is culinary failure. Culinary failures don’t have people returning again and again for Egg McMuffins.

RSoxNo1

I think what has everyone concerned is the apparent over-thinking of the theme. Instead of a fun log flume ride in the Louisiana Bayou with the PATF characters, they concoct a story following the movie about a salt mine, her co-op, and restaurant.
I'd rather a new story with these characters than a book report personally.

SNS

I mean culturally, like comparing Walt Disney World to a trip to The Smithsonian or a European Tour (no, Epcot doesn’t count), or a National Park.

I’m not saying it’s a fair comparison, just that there are many people who say that, just as some people think McDonald’s is culinary failure. Culinary failures don’t have people returning again and again for Egg McMuffins.

Ironically one of the Dumbo ride vehicles is at The Smithsonian but I get what you mean.

MerlinTheGoat

Many consider Disney Parks to be the McDonalds of entertainment/travel options.
I don't think many people, even those who frequently eat there, find McDonalds to be delicious. Unless that's literally the only thing they've ever eaten. It fulfills a need for people who don't have the money, time and/or energy to obtain something better. They also built their brand by aggressively targeting children in advertising. At my family's poorest, we also ate there out of necessity. Their food is disgusting though, and widely viewed as such.

I would hope Tiana doesn't end up being comparable to McD's in terms of quality.

Rich T

I don't think many people, even those who frequently eat there, find McDonalds to be delicious. Unless that's literally the only thing they've ever eaten. It fulfills a need for people who don't have the money, time and/or energy to obtain something better. They also built their brand by aggressively targeting children in advertising. At my family's poorest, we also ate there out of necessity. Their food is disgusting though, and widely viewed as such.

I would hope Tiana doesn't end up being comparable to McD's in terms of quality.
If tasted awful, people would go elsewhere. McDonald’s is not particularly cheap. Personally, I love the Filet O’Fish and nearly their entire breakfast menu. Every now and then it just hits the spot.

Man, discussions about the end of a singing robot bunny can go off on the wildest tangents….

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom