News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley/OCD

This new piece of art showcases characters that I feel entirely confident will all be animatronics. I very highly doubt they're projected, you can usually spot obvious projected elements even from concept art. The scene is explicitly stated to be the first scene after the first drop (currently known as "Slippin Falls"), that's where the geese and frogs currently are located. There are five geese and three frog AA's currently. A total of 8 AA's. This piece of art showcases 11 figures (10 animals and Tiana). If this scene ends up being indicative of the amount of AA's in the other scenes, then it might bode well for people hoping it contains a lot of AA's. I was told the newer AA's in the ride are also supposed to be "state of the art" as well, and the person who said this wouldn't consider facial projected ones to fit that bill.

I was told the America Sings figures were being kept (not sure if that means fully intact or reskinned), so hopefully the geese still appear elsewhere in the ride. There are a lot of scenes currently only occupied by Brer family characters, so with their removal there's plenty of space they will need to fill out with other figures instead. We'll see. But so far this first piece of what I assume is "finalized" art doesn't have anything I can be upset by on its own merits (I mean, aside from the fact that Splash is getting replaced when it absolutely shouldn't be).

Also seems like a good sign that the salt mine elements will hopefully have a minimal presence in the interior scenes and is just something they came up with the the exterior and queue.
I HONESTLY hope you’re right…I don’t see it, but I hope your insiders are right. I just have this nagging feeling that the only person that will be happy is our “buddy” Patrick with all the potential AA’s to drool over…

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Dramatic.
I disagree. They're works of art that deserve to be appreciated. You're also on a Disney park fandom forum. If anything, I'm shocked that you think this comment is dramatic in the slightest. Lol.

Ask a Pokemon fan if they'd be happy with their favorite pokemon being faded out into oblivion by destroying all episodes and cards it was ever on.

Fans are fans. Let them be.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

I disagree. They're works of art that deserve to be appreciated. You're also on a Disney park fandom forum. If anything, I'm shocked that you think this comment is dramatic in the slightest. Lol.

Ask a Pokemon fan if they'd be happy with their favorite pokemon being faded out into oblivion by destroying all episodes and cards it was ever on.

Literally me with Porygon and its evolution line. Ever since the episode with the incident that Pikachu caused, it hasn't appeared in any capacity and just sort of exists in games.

Californian Elitist

You know I'm right.
Stop it. The removal of Splash Mountain is not somehow going to erase characters.

Absurdity.

Part of your response has nothing to do with what I wrote. Where did I say the Brer tales don’t deserve to be appreciated? Also, not sure where the “let them be” part is coming from.

Nothing is fading into oblivion. More dramatic commentary.

_caleb

I think there's a pretty good chance that guest reaction gets Facilier shoehorned into the thing within three years of opening.

Without Ray, Facilier, the Prince and Princess as frogs, and (possibly) the music, what exactly is the charm of the IP here?
Because they haven't added Darth Vader to SW:GE, I don't think they'll respond to however many people ask for Facilier.

Bocabear

I honestly don't understand how anybody could look at that concept art and think that those animals are anything but animatronics, reused or not.
How do we know Tiana isn't a static figure...they have done things like that before... and now that it is Zydeco music and a rollicking Cajun Dance-abration, why does Tiana necessarily need to run a food co-op?... which is completely wrong historically and has nothing to do with the character or the film. Should the Little Mermaid have a business as a vocal coach at the final scene of the Little Mermaid Ride? Should we look for the Snow White Cleaning Service at the end of the 7 Dwarfs Mine? The whole idea is born out of a board room. boo.

Bocabear

Stop it. The removal of Splash Mountain is not somehow going to erase characters.

Absurdity.

Part of your response has nothing to do with what I wrote. Where did I say the Brer tales don’t deserve to be appreciated? Also, not sure where the “let them be” part is coming from.

Nothing is fading into oblivion. More dramatic commentary.
When the only reference left to these characters in any meaningful way is a theme park ride, and then you remove them and erase the ride and re do it with other characters,, then I would pretty much say yes, it does push these characters into obscurity... If they all of the sudden erased all references to Mickey Mouse and stopped running the cartoons, stopped making the merchandise and removed any reference to him throughout the company, yeah...in time the character would fade into utter obscurity... As will all of these characters, Zip-a-dee-doo-dah and all...

FettFan

Because they haven't added Darth Vader to SW:GE, I don't think they'll respond to however many people ask for Facilier.

They’re already putting in Boba Fett, Fennec Shand, Din Djarin, and Grogu at Disneyland.

They’re on time rotations; you’ll never see them next to the sequel characters.

This tells me it’s only a matter of time before SWGE is outfitted to include the original movies.
Kylo Ren was a passing fancy; Darth Vader is the true icon of Star Wars, even more than the emperor himself.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Why the hate for the entrepreneur backstory?
It just seems totally unnecessary and anachronistic. What’s wrong with showing her as a successful restaurateur? For me at least, the concept of an employee-owned coop places us squarely in the contemporary age, while the stuff about the salt dome is just weird (it’s also counterproductive, drawing more attention to the elevation “problem” than if they’d just ignored it).

FettFan

PS - Disney princesses still do not belong in Frontierland.

If their intent behind scrapping Splash was to retire the Brers out of cultural sensitivities, there were far better options imagineered by far more talented people.

184152686_640.jpg

And it would have tied Splash even closer to BTM.

_caleb

It just seems totally unnecessary and anachronistic. What’s wrong with showing her as a successful restaurateur? For me at least, the concept of an employee-owned coop places us squarely in the contemporary age, while the stuff about the salt dome is just weird (it’s also counterproductive, drawing more attention to the elevation “problem” than if they’d just ignored it).
Oh, I see. I've just been taking it as an idealized alternative to the historical reality. As in, "Lets imagine world where a young Black woman had equal opportunity."

Also, I figure they wanted to be able to sell a full line of Tiana kitchenware/bakeware, ingredients, and house decor beyond just beignets.

Agree about the elevation thing.

JohnD

They're not going with this theme anymore, are they? I could buy that. The whole water tower / salt mine thing just doesn't make any sense to me.

It's gone from this:
Splash-Mountain_Full_38026.jpg

To this:
Tianas-Bayou-Adventure_Full_48679.jpg

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Oh, I see. I've just been taking it as an idealized alternative to the historical reality. As in, "Lets imagine world where a young Black woman had equal opportunity."
I would say that goal is already achieved by showing her as a successful restaurateur. Perhaps I’m wrong and they were a thing back then, but employee-owned coops smack too much of our time for me.

FettFan

Disney has announced Splash Mountain will close for the reimagining into Tiana's Bayou Adventure January 23rd, 2023.

New concept art -

View attachment 682292

Is it just me or does that log have plumber’s crack?

WorldExplorer

Also, I figure they wanted to be able to sell a full line of Tiana kitchenware/bakeware, ingredients, and house decor beyond just beignets.

They already sell a lot of Tiana cooking and houseware items ( already sell plenty of items that don't actually have anything to do with the characters' profession or desires anyway).

But even if they needed to somehow tie merchandise into an actual ride aspect, just the restaurant would make total sense without the food company co-op.

I guess this would allow them to specifically put a little "Tiana's Foods" logo on the objects instead of just her on them, like Goofy's Candy Company, but again, could have done that with the restaurant. And that doesn't really seem worth it anyway, just to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom