News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

crxbrett

Honestly, even if this attraction ends up being awful, which I don't think it will, it will still have long lines. The reason? It's a partially outdoor water & thrill ride, which regardless of theming, always tend to have big lines the warmer the weather is. Regardless of quality. Look at Grizzly River at DCA - a mediocre attraction but has wait times upwards of 90-120 minutes when it gets over 85+ degrees at the park.

H₂O, outdoors and thrills = very popular with guests and for the most part long lines unless it is really cold.

This will have long lines 20 years from now even if people hate what they do to it.

fgmnt

Honestly, even if this attraction ends up being awful, which I don't think it will, it will still have long lines. The reason? It's a partially outdoor water & thrill ride, which regardless of theming, always tend to have big lines the warmer the weather is. Regardless of quality. Look at Grizzly River at DCA - a mediocre attraction but has wait times upwards of 90-120 minutes when it gets over 85+ degrees at the park.

H₂O, outdoors and thrills = very popular with guests and for the most part long lines unless it is really cold.

This will have long lines 20 years from now even if people hate what they do to it.
Lest anyone claim the Mine Train is an E-ticket, Splash Mountain is the newest E-ticket attraction in the Magic Kingdom. TRON will hold the title of the newest E-ticket for all of probably 15-18 months before the shell of Splash Mountain retakes this title.

Fun to think about.

"Fun"

JoeCamel

Conflict would certainly work with the PatF ride, build the conflict throughout the ride with a sense of dread rising, to be relieved after the drop
It could be done so well with Dr. Facilier.
Perhaps, they'll still use some rising conflict? I don't know...
But the Dr. would have been such a great way to do it.
But what if they make another princess ride like FEA and keep it giggles and sparkles? Building dread may not play well with that crowd.
I know which way I think they went
I think it comes down to who the target audience is for this

Last edited:

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Maelstrom needed more ride system work, but still, the point stands. If they are just reskinning AAs, changing set dressings, and doing the exterior work, I guess it’s possible.
Honestly, because we still have Tokyo's expansive version, I wasn't 'devastated' to lose Splash, given that a PaTF reskinning of scenes with modern flourishes could still make for an excellent ride, and especially an improvement over DL's Splash.

I'm not confident, though, given the random, convoluted, boardroom-directed theme, that this won't end up evolving into a serious downgrade on both coasts. It does not seem to have any relation to the film, including a complete sidestepping of Friends on the Other Side and one of the best villains Disney has, making this ride likely to have zero tonal conflict.

But this hurts more at MK, given that it was basically the park's only headliner. By comparison, DL's weaker iteration was secondary in scale to rides like Indiana Jones Adventure, the spectacular original Pirates of the Caribbean, and Rise of the Resistance blunting the loss.

I'll withhold judgment and eat my words if it turns out great, but it's shocking how they'd get rid of one of their best rides ever built and then make it dead on arrival due to the direction of the project.
But what if they make another princess ride like FEA and keep it giggles and sparkles? Building dread may not play well with that crowd.
I know which way I think they went
I think it comes down to who the target audience is for this
Any media, be it films, shows, books, or rides that have 'sensory and happiness overload' comes across as childish, lazy, and trite, unfortunately.

FEA is also shorter, smaller in scope, and not a thrill ride, so I don't think FEA is a disaster given the demographics attracted to it (intentionally to be different than EPCOT), but Splash? A turbulent flume ride? Ludicrous.

Last edited:

montyz81

It will be new and in far better shape than Splash has been in for some time, so that’s a hard comparison to make. I would expect it to have very long lines.

Splash has been in a deplorable state for years. It’s a real pity that this is how it ends. The least they could have done was a proper refurb before its final year. Instead, half of the leaves were painted and its condition has deteriorated further this year. Ugh.
I think you all misunderstood what I was saying. I’m not talking about how many people ride, I’m talking about how many people prioritize this ride when they first hit the park or make this a top five ride for their day versus Splash. To me that would be an indicator of the retheme vs the ride itself. Think about Test Track 1.0 vs 2.0. The ride is exactly the same, but the theme is different. Still, everyone flocks to TT when the park opens. That means it was always about the ride not the theme. I was thinking that peoples prioritization of Tiana would now change because the theme of Splash has always been as important as the ride itself.

ToTBellHop

I think you all misunderstood what I was saying. I’m not talking about how many people ride, I’m talking about how many people prioritize this ride when they first hit the park or make this a top five ride for their day versus Splash. To me that would be an indicator of the retheme vs the ride itself. Think about Test Track 1.0 vs 2.0. The ride is exactly the same, but the theme is different. Still, everyone flocks to TT when the park opens. That means it was always about the ride not the theme. I was thinking that peoples prioritization of Tiana would now change because the theme of Splash has always been as important as the ride itself.
I doubt the theme of Splash is important to many. A compelling Tiana story with strong visuals would be perfectly acceptable to most. I’m not married to Song of the South.

I worry TBA will have a weak story and/or poor-quality visuals. I’m sure I’ll like the music at least…

erasure fan1

I'll withhold judgment and eat my words if it turns out great, but it's shocking how they'd get rid of one of their best rides ever built and then make it dead on arrival due to the direction of the project.
I think this is how most of the people who are questioning this feel. If it's as good as splash... Great, we're all happy. But there is zero reason to think this won't be a step backwards. If it's not, than like I've said many times, I'll be happy to eat crow.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
More animatronics don't automatically equal a better ride. The Great Movie Ride was full of them yet fell flat as an experience (at least for me).
Uhhhh..... Well your opinion on what attractions are considered "flat" are completely irrelevant now. lol

Disney Glimpses

Yeah, MMRR was a good replacement for TGMR from a business perspective. What was a walk-on is now eating a lot of capacity, all day (and generating Genie+ revenue).

LittleBuford

As a fan of GMR I would be a little heartbroken finding most of my party would fall asleep during the ride. The concept of GMR is great though. I wish they modernized it and added MMRR into Animation Courtyard.
As a fan of classic movies and old-school dark rides, I always wanted to love it, but it somehow felt less than the sum of its parts. Only the Wizard of Oz scene truly wowed me.

LittleBuford

Not according to the huge numbers of voters that outnumbered the fans of MMRR. They all said they prefer the GMR and want it back. After all, that is what MGM/Hollywood Studios was suppose to be about. The magic of movie making. MMRR merely belongs to places like a Toontown, like the one in Disneyland California. Sorry to point this out. Just informing what I've observed.
For what it’s worth, here are the guest ratings for both attractions on TouringPlans, which suggest that the new ride is generally more popular than the old:

ToTBellHop

Didn’t anyone ever think that this is referring to renovations? After all, this isn’t a real announcement, and it’s nothing but speculation. Also, maps with the address showed it is not anywhere near Splash Mountain, but near Jungle Cruise. Most likely this might be something else.
It’s absolutely Splash.

celluloid

Unless I'm mistaken, it didn't score all that well with guests when Disney decided to pull the plug on it. It's a matter of personal taste at the end of the day, and I realise that you are far from alone in missing the ride.

It was also left to rot, being high maintenance and staffing. So it all circles back to why the people's concerns over PATF are well founded.

celluloid

Lest anyone claim the Mine Train is an E-ticket, Splash Mountain is the newest E-ticket attraction in the Magic Kingdom. TRON will hold the title of the newest E-ticket for all of probably 15-18 months before the shell of Splash Mountain retakes this title.

Fun to think about.

"Fun"

Exactly. It points out what has been done to the parks under the leadership since The Disney Decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom