News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

LittleBuford

I edited my post after you quoted -- part of the issue is that it would likely mean the park was fine for a wide assortment of other IP, but it's mainly the animal thing.

Animal Kingdom, even with Pandora, is easily the most thematically consistent WDW park right now (Magic Kingdom is kind of its own thing, but they've also stripped a lot of the theme out of the various lands over the years). It's actually my favorite park to visit despite the lack of attractions because it's so well designed. Zootopia would be the beginning of the end of that, at least for me, and would be another move towards homogenizing all four parks and throwing anything anywhere.
As someone opposed to zoos* on principle, I acknowledge that my relationship with Animal Kingdom is fundamentally different from yours. I respect your perspective, though, even if I don’t share it.

———

* I’m not referring to animal sanctuaries, of course. Those I welcome and support wholeheartedly.

Brer Oswald

Any intellectual property that has animals or trees belongs in the Animal Kingdom. After all, the name of the park has animal in the name, and the icon of the park is a tree!

UNCgolf

As someone opposed to zoos* on principle, I acknowledge that my relationship with Animal Kingdom is fundamentally different from yours. I respect your perspective, though, even if I don’t share it.

———

* I’m not referring to animal sanctuaries, of course. Those I welcome and support wholeheartedly.

I think there are two different kinds of zoos (if not more). There are a huge number of zoos that should be shut down because they are bad for the animals and only exist to make money, but there are some large natural habitat zoos that both treat the animals well AND serve an important role in education and conservation.

Obviously true animal sanctuaries are the ideal (unfortunately there are plenty of "sanctuaries" that are even worse than zoos and breed big cats so they can sell people the opportunity to play with a tiger cub), but I do think there is a significant benefit to a small number of large, well run zoos that essentially function as destinations (as opposed to having a bunch of smaller zoos dropped in the middle of cities with little room for the animals). But obviously this is well off-topic so I'll leave it at that!

Basil of Baker Street

Even though this is way off subject from PaTF, I am surprised that Disney named the film Zootopia due to the word "Zoo" which is now considered by many a negative word. Both primary and secondary meanings. I suspect Disney will allow this film to die.

LittleBuford

Even though this is way off subject from PaTF, I am surprised that Disney named the film Zootopia due to the word "Zoo" which is now considered by many a negative word. Both primary and secondary meanings. I suspect Disney will allow this film to die.
The prefix “zoo-” has to with animals in general: “zoology”, “zoomorphic”, etc. The standalone word “zoo” is just an abbreviation of “zoological garden”.

Dear Prudence

I am honestly glad that Splash Mountain is not changing to Zootopia for a multitude of reasons. Make no mistake, I enjoyed Zootopia, and the scene where Nick Wilde is rejected from Junior Ranger Scouts is too emotionally intense for me to handle, but it fails in a multitude of areas and hasn't necessarily aged well. I mean, PATF hasn't necessarily aged that well, either, but it has a couple of more factors going for it.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I am honestly glad that Splash Mountain is not changing to Zootopia for a multitude of reasons, also because there is a SOTS reference in it, and I am sick of people who have no business talking about it using it to grandstand. Make no mistake, I enjoyed Zootopia, and the scene where Nick Wilde is rejected from Junior Ranger Scouts is too emotionally intense for me to handle, but it fails in a multitude of areas and hasn't necessarily aged well. I mean, PATF hasn't necessarily aged that well, either, but it has a couple of more factors going for it.
Oh, Zootopia as a Splash Mountain replacement would make zero sense! I didn't even know that was something people were discussing as a serious option.

Dear Prudence

Oh, Zootopia as a Splash Mountain replacement would make zero sense! I didn't even know that was something people were discussing as a serious option.
Twitter was discussing it, but Twitter is...🤪 Especially with everything that has happened since the film came out in 2016, trying to unpack the clumsy messages of the movie just wouldn't work. I don't even know how they would make the transition or what story to tell, because Zootopia, for all of its flaws, is a GREAT crime mystery movie. It just has too much going on--unless it was a trip through the different lands? It wouldn't work. LOL.

LittleBuford

Twitter was discussing it, but Twitter is...🤪 Especially with everything that has happened since the film came out in 2016, trying to unpack the clumsy messages of the movie just wouldn't work. I don't even know how they would make the transition or what story to tell, because Zootopia, for all of its flaws, is a GREAT crime mystery movie. It just has too much going on--unless it was a trip through the different lands? It wouldn't work. LOL.
The story isn't the issue for me; I just don't see how it would fit in thematically. (For all the criticisms of PatF as a theme, it's at least consistent with the heavy presence of things Southern in Frotierland, including SotS.)

Dear Prudence

If any ride or movie has us talking about race in America, I'm all for it. I'm not OK with shutting comments that certain people disagree with. And, it's OK to have civil disagreements...
My problem is that the people who need to be heard about it can't be. As a BIPOC, I am tired of being talked over and drowned up because people who aren't effected by it are using it to posture. It's not about having these necessary conversations. Having people who aren't effected by these things always being the ones talking about it isn't a conversation. Black and Native pain isn't a talking point to "win" internet arguments. I don't know if you can have a "civil disagreement" on our fundamental humanity.

Last edited:

Dear Prudence

The story isn't the issue for me; I just don't see how it would fit in thematically. (For all the criticisms of PatF as a theme, it's at least consistent with the heavy presence of things Southern in Frotierland, including SotS.)
Isn't there a desert area/land/district in Zootopia? It still doesn't fit, but I am sure people would do all kinds of mental gymnastics to make it justified. In both parks it is just a bad fit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom