News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

doctornick

Wait, so you're saying Splash might stay in FL? How is that possible from a PR standpoint? I mean, I'm all for keeping the Brers as is, but I just want to clarify so I don't get my hopes up unnecessarily.
It’s worth noting that despite their obvious actions regarding SotS and the Br’er characters, that the public comments on this attraction change has focused almost entirely on bringing Tiana into the parks as part of inclusion. IOW they’ve never really said that there’s a problem with Splash and that it has to go away.

In that vein, if they ever bailed on changing Splash, I think they’d be able to water the criticism just fine as long as they showcased a proper attraction to Tiana somewhere. For the majority of the public, the lack of Black representation in the parks is a much bigger issue than any concerns about Splash.

Animaniac93-98

In that vein, if they ever bailed on changing Splash, I think they’d be able to water the criticism just fine as long as they showcased a proper attraction to Tiana somewhere. For the majority of the public, the lack of Black representation in the parks is a much bigger issue than any concerns about Splash.

I think a brand new, built from scratch Tiana ride at MK or DHS would probably be met with near universal approval from Disney fans.

doctornick

I think a brand new, built from scratch Tiana ride at MK or DHS would probably be met with near universal approval from Disney fans.
Off the cuff thought (wish?)… change DL’s Splash to Tiana (where it can fit as part of NO Square) and then clone that ride to DHS as part of a new land. DHS could really use a water ride like that anyway and it still needs more capacity. That way they'd only have to design one version of a Tiana ride and not spend extra money converting both DL's and MK's (very different) versions of Splash.

Last edited:

WDWJoeG

It’s worth noting that despite their obvious actions regarding SotS and the Br’er characters, that the public comments on this attraction change has focused almost entirely on bringing Tiana into the parks as part of inclusion. IOW they’ve never really said that there’s a problem with Splash and that it has to go away.

There is no such criticism from "the majority of the public".

This is a non-existent "controversy" that lives only in the far reaches of Twitter and Disney's DEI department.

99.99999% of the hundreds of millions who have ridden the Splash Mountains around the world are singing Zip a Dee Doo Dah all the way home.

Last edited:

Poseidon Quest

I think you've made a good point that I haven't thought about before. I've frequently seen a lot of "don't change Splash Mountain, create a dark ride or Tiana's Place restaurant" instead and I also agree that it's the correct course of action. Song of the South certainly has problematic portrayals of post-slavery life in the South, but by hiding the film away, Disney has created far more controversy than just quietly releasing it a few decades ago so that people can forget it.

In my opinion, there are far more pressing issues, such as the American Adventure portraying the American Civil War as a tragedy of white families or highlighting men who had a hand in genocide in the Hall of Presidents. Perhaps even the "Indians" in Peter Pan should take higher priority. To their credit, Disney has a done a great job of removing the imperialist undertones of Jungle Cruise. Still, I feel that a Tiana's Place at Port Orleans French Quarter would be perfect. Perhaps it may be too ambitious by current Disney standards, but an animatronic dinner show featuring animals from the film with a live actress singing as Tiana would be incredible.

Brer Oswald

There literally is no such criticism from "the majority of the public".

This is a non-existent "controversy" that lives only in the far reaches of Twitter and Disney's DEI department.

99.99999% of the hundreds of millions who have ridden the Splash Mountains around the world are singing Zip a Dee Doo Dah all the way home.
The majority of the public doesn’t even know anything about this. I’ve used this username outside of the theme park community, and I’ve never received any level of disdain or acknowledgement that I have from the inner bowels of the Disney fanbase.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Zootopia confirmed for Magic Kingdom.
Go Away GIF

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I still think they should just put a restaurant on the river boat. One level dedicated as Tiana's River Boat Restaurant, and the other level of the boat dedicated to just riding it around the island. That'd be such a cool experience, have it be a character restaurant... An attraction and restaurant bundled in one... AND a huge upcharge for Disney, so win-win for them.

UNCgolf

I still think they should just put a restaurant on the river boat. One level dedicated as Tiana's River Boat Restaurant, and the other level of the boat dedicated to just riding it around the island. That'd be such a cool experience, have it be a character restaurant... An attraction and restaurant bundled in one... AND a huge upcharge for Disney, so win-win for them.

That would be really cool, but is there enough room to install a kitchen (and all the other necessary infrastructure) without having to eliminate the ride around the island attraction due to lack of space?

Animaniac93-98

That would be really cool, but is there enough room to install a kitchen (and all the other necessary infrastructure) without having to eliminate the ride around the island attraction due to lack of space?

They already kind of did this with the dessert party for parade viewing, though the made the whole boat inaccessible for those without reservations and parked it along the parade route.

UNCgolf

They already kind of did this with the dessert party for parade viewing, though the made the whole boat inaccessible for those without reservations and parked it along the parade route.

That's kind of what I was thinking -- that once they installed a kitchen etc. they'd need all the remaining space for tables for the restaurant.

Ghost93

What if it was just a super duper limited menu.
A boat-only restaurant doesn't give Tiana the representation she needs in the park. Frankly, I think a splash mountain retheme will give her greater importance than if Disney made a Tiana attraction from scratch, as nowadays Disney rarely makes an 8-10 minute ride.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
A boat-only restaurant doesn't give Tiana the representation she needs in the park.
I disagree. I think It is a fantastically unique way to represent her.. and on top of that, it helps make things make a little more thematic sense.
Frankly, I think a splash mountain retheme will give her greater importance than if Disney made a Tiana attraction from scratch,
I disagree. Tiana would not get as much backlash if she had an attraction built from scratch rather than replace one of the most iconic attractions on disney property.
as nowadays Disney rarely makes an 8-10 minute ride.
Ride time does not make for a good ride. It all depends on quality. On a side note, that is also false. Rise of the Resistance is an 18 minute ride...

Most new rides tend to be at that 4 and a half minute mark. Which is fine. It’s about quality, not ride time.

As much as I loved Ellen’s Energy Adventure, it really didn’t have to be 40 minutes long. Lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom