News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

celluloid

That’s nearly a year old.

There’s a huge difference between not making as much money and bleeding money.

I’m not lying to myself. I have a very good understanding of the companies finances.

And yes, the “people who matter” think this needs to happen. They are the ones who set this in motion in the first place

So many at the top feel that it needs to happen, they are cashing in on the major attraction's Lightning Lane and characters.

Dear Prudence

Unrelated but related:

I found a vintage Disney storybook from 1962 in Goodwill today, and found the below story. It's really interesting to see, if not also very cringe (my opinion). View attachment 602610View attachment 602611View attachment 602612View attachment 602613View attachment 602614View attachment 602615
These stories exist outside of the context of Harris, and are African/ Black American and Native oral literature and sacred stories. Yes, even the above one. There are dozens, practically hundreds of pieces of scholarship written by Black and Native authors that go over this. Naturally things that are over a hundred years old, let alone time in millenia don't age well. The Harris versions come out of the era of Ishi and the Human Zoos, because American anthropology is rooted in "preservation" and eugenics. Now BIPOC can't even bring it up without some exhausting NOT Like Other Girls reminding the whole world that it's "racist" ...as if we aren't keenly aware of its misuse.

Regardless, the dialect in the Harris version doesn't exist in the rides, no matter how much people want it to. Since Splash Mountain (especially the California version) is based on the unused Catfish Bend ideas, they're supposed to be like the country folk in the Rescuers.

But, you know, people want what they want and nevermind what real life consequences are. That's what kills me.

Last edited:

lightningtap347

These stories exist outside of the context of Harris, and are African/ Black American and Native oral literature and sacred stories. Yes, even the above one. There are dozens, practically hundreds of pieces of scholarship written by Black and Native authors that go over this. Naturally things that are over a hundred years old, let alone time in millenia don't age well. The Harris versions come out of the era of Ishi and the Human Zoos, because American anthropology is rooted in "preservation" and eugenics. Now BIPOC can't even bring it up without some exhausting NOT Like Other Girls reminding the whole world that it's "racist" ...as if we aren't keenly aware of its misuse. Some people used the Disney version during the residential school era to retain the stories, but how do you explain that to people who know everything? Regardless, the dialect in the Harris version doesn't exist in the rides, no matter how much people want it to. Since Splash Mountain (especially the California version) is based on the unused Catfish Bend ideas, they're supposed to be like the country folk in the Rescuers.

But, you know, people want what they want and nevermind what real life consequences are. That's what kills me.
Again, I just thought it was interesting to see, as I have never seen the story before. The dialect is cringe, but as you explained, isn't in the ride.

I'm not sure why it was deleted, it seemed pertinent to the topic. Definitely more related than many of the posts on this thread.

Dear Prudence

Again, I just thought it was interesting to see, as I have never seen the story before. The dialect is cringe, but as you explained, isn't in the ride.

I'm not sure why it was deleted, it seemed pertinent to the topic. Definitely more related than many of the posts on this thread.
I was just providing some more context for your post, but I definitely agree, it was related.

celluloid

They’ve never denied it’s existence. I’m baffled that you think it wouldn’t be included. Everything that has any demand is part of Genie+

Do you think profiting off of the attraction with characters through the gate and paying to skip the line for that attraction is somehow more morally acceptable than profiting off of them on t shirts? Which by the way, is more about the select restocking options of the times than it is about a statement. You can't even find as many niche attraction shirts in other shops now either.

peter11435

Do you think profiting off of the attraction with characters through the gate and paying to skip the line for that attraction is somehow more morally acceptable than profiting off of them on t shirts? Which by the way, is more about the select restocking options of the times than it is about a statement. You can't even find as many niche attraction shirts in other shops now either.
I would maybe agree if Splash Mountain were one of the individual purchase attractions, but it’s not. Including it in Genie+ Is no different than the attraction just be open to park guests. Merchandise diecisions are deliberate.

celluloid

I would maybe agree if Splash Mountain were one of the individual purchase attractions, but it’s not. Including it in Genie+ Is no different than the attraction just be open to park guests. Merchandise diecisions are deliberate.

So your stance would be yes. It is morally higher to make money off of a ride's characters via the ride vs off it's merch?

Brers are being sold on items at the theme parks on merch now.

FantasiaMickey2000

So your stance would be yes. It is morally higher to make money off of a ride's characters via the ride vs off it's merch?

Brers are being sold on items at the theme parks on merch now.
I just replied to you on this. No they aren’t. Brer Bear snuck onto one design. That’s it. All Splash Mountain merchandise has been removed and is no longer being sold. One oversight design is an exception not a rule.

celluloid

I just replied to you on this. No they aren’t. Brer Bear snuck onto one design. That’s it. All Splash Mountain merchandise has been removed and is no longer being sold. One oversight design is an exception not a rule.

Not true. Disneyland is selling the artwork of all three characters in the park as well as the fact they are on other random trinkets.

Splash Mountain Merchandise was not pulled. It was SOLD.

It is even hard to find a Space Mountain or Thunder Mountain shirt right now. There is only two designs specifically for Space Mountain in the ride's gift shop a few weeks ago, and that is the most famous rollercoater in the world.

Regardless of all that. The philosophy of making money on something that apparently executive level thinks it should not is interesting and certifiably false with the evidence. As even though merch is slim, they are accepting money on it and they are operating the attraction and accepting money through admission, on ride photos, selling things in the gift shop and it being a part of Genie Plus.

Last edited:

FantasiaMickey2000

Not true. Disneyland is selling the artwork of all three characters in the park as well as the fact they are on other random trinkets.

Splash Mountain Merchandise was not pulled. It was SOLD.

It is even hard to find a Space Mountain or Thunder Mountain shirt right now. There is only two designs specifically for Space Mountain in the ride's gift shop a few weeks ago, and that is the most famous rollercoater in the world.

Regardless of all that. The philosophy of making money on something that apparently executive level thinks it should not is interesting and certifiably false with the evidence. As even though merch is slim, they are accepting money on it and they are operating the attraction and accepting money through admission, on ride photos, selling things in the gift shop and it being a part of Genie Plus.
What artwork is Disneyland selling? I looked at Disney Springs in Florida and there is none there. The gift shops in Florida around the ride are empty of Splash merchandise as well.

Splash Mountain merchandise was sold out but it’s not being replaced. They haven’t had merchandise there in 17 months. If they were still planning on making money off the ride, they’d have received a shipment by now.

So it sounds like your complaint is they sold the remaining inventory of merchandise and haven’t closed the ride and just kept it shut down? You would have preferred they burn all the merchandise and just have the ride sit vacant for half a decade?

I’m as against this wrong retheme as anyone but I don’t understand your anger here.

LittleBuford

Hahahahaha or Lion King 1 and 1/2

They released Brer Bear in the pin pack after they pulled one with Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox. It's so hard to keep up with the gaslighting. 😵🥴
The merchandise you’re referring to may have been designed and even ordered before the announcement of the retheme. As far as I know, you can no longer buy merchandise related to Splash Mountain or that features the Brer characters by themselves.

LittleBuford

The discussion about merchandise and Genie+ is confusing to me. The idea that the ride is so grossly offensive that it needs to be immediately shut down isn't coming from Disney; it's a canard cooked up by those deriding Disney's decision to change the theme. As one would expect, Disney's official language has been far more cautious and circumspect, allowing for precisely the approach we're seeing now. There has never been any suggestion that the attraction wouldn't continue operating in its current form until work is ready to begin on the retheme. As for merchandise, the situation is very different now from what it used to be. Before 2020, you could buy all manner of items dedicated to Splash Mountain and its characters. Now you can't. I really don't understand how any of this constitutes gaslighting.

Dear Prudence

The merchandise you’re referring to may have been designed and even ordered before the announcement of the retheme. As far as I know, you can no longer buy merchandise related to Splash Mountain or that features the Brer characters by themselves.
The pins with Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox were pulled, and their pins were replaced with Nightmare Before Xmas characters (I don't remember which ones, I am too tired to go and look). Those were the wishables mystery pin packs. The pin pack with Brer Bear just came out. There would have been enough time between the announcement and the release of the pins to remediate this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom