Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

lebeau

Theres too many pages for me to check through, whats the chances of disney cancelling this when the protests calm down because of low budgets

0132_637103124432964158.jpg

disneygeek90

Oh I was jesting. But the mere mention of Elsa's sexuality a few pages back was met with... a certain response. Whether or not Disney was going to address it, they didn't. But there was an uproar at the possibility.
Pshhh. Did y'all see her with Honeymaren? If Honeymaren was a dude everyone would be convinced that was the next pairing for Frozen 3. ;)

Rescue Ranger

Was there yesterday, but now Shop Disney has removed the Funko Splash Mountain set. Interesting. Unless it sold out? Dunno about their Splash items but I dont see any on there 😔

The Grand Inquisitor

Disney will update the Splash Mountain rides in the United States with a new “Princess and the Frog” theme following an online debate about the undertones inherent in the current backstory based on the controversial 1940s Disney movie “Song of the South.”

The Splash Mountain log flume rides at Disneyland in Anaheim and the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World in Florida will be transformed with a new theme based on the 2009 “Princess and the Frog” animated movie, according to Disney.

“The retheming of Splash Mountain is of particular importance today,” according to a statement posted to the Disney Parks Blog. “The new concept is inclusive — one that all of our guests can connect with and be inspired by, and it speaks to the diversity of the millions of people who visit our parks each year.”

Here is the announcement at the Disney Parks Blog -

View attachment 479130

"Today we are thrilled to share a first glimpse of a project Imagineers have been working on since last year. Splash Mountain – at both Disneyland park in California and Magic Kingdom park in Florida – will soon be completely reimagined. The theme is inspired by an all-time favorite animated Disney film, “The Princess and the Frog.” We pick up this story after the final kiss, and join Princess Tiana and Louis on a musical adventure – featuring some of the powerful music from the film – as they prepare for their first-ever Mardi Gras performance."

Holy crap! I just saw this! I never thought it was going to happen. Heck I created a poll for it a couple of months back and everyone thought I was nuts 😂. This is going to be a very tough change. I'm going to miss Splash Mountain, but I love Princess and the Frog. It's one of my favorite Disney movies. This ride will be absolutely incredible! Disney will not let us down. Heck remember when everyone was upset about Mission Breakout, but it was a fantastic ride! I cannot wait to see Friends on the other side in the ride! That needs to be before the big drop!
1593208548683.png

comics101

I don't think it's not a slippery slope in the way you're thinking. This change, if it is in response to the conversation about racism in America, may indeed lead to more changes at Disney parks as people scrutinize them for racial insensitivity. But it seems to be much more about Disney not wanting to fight in defense of the film and changing the narrative than some slippery slope to getting rid of anything that might offend anyone anywhere.

Disney hasn’t defended Song of the South since 1986.

21stamps

Vanellope is indeed a princess and you should check it out. It throws the typical trope for a loop.

I just looked it up. This was good to learn.
I’m either blind, or I just don’t see Disney (or the public) treating her the same was as the Frozen characters. That was such a huge movie, and sold to the public in the typical way, with finally a non-typical story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom