Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotamber

I say retheme Little Mermaid the ride is low quality and Tiana should be with the other princesses. Does Disney not see the issue of having all the white princesses by the castle and Tiana in Frontierland or Critter Country by the railroad tracks? Splash can be redone as Zootopia just change the outfits of the fox and bunny.

J_Carioca

Nah. You'll have to bulldoze the entire resort to be safe. And here's some other resorts/attractions that we'll need to address soon:

* Country Bear Jamboree (Old South/Womanizing)
* Tom Sawyer Island (Old South)
* Steamboat (Old South)
* Thunder Mountain Railroad (Expansionism/Treatment of Indians/Built with Slaves)
* Hall of Presidents (Southern/Slave-Owning Presidents Removed)
* Peter Pan (Indian Stereotypes)
* IASW (Cultural Stereotypes)
* Aladdin Spinner (Cultural Stereotypes)
* Carousel of Progress (Lack of Diversity)
* Little Mermaid (Lack of Diversity/Fat-Shaming)
* Seven Dwarfs (Lack of Diversity)
* Dumbo (Cultural Stereotypes)
* Fort Wilderness Campground (Frontier/Treatment of Indians)
* Wilderness Lodge (Frontier/Treatment of Indians)
* World Showcase @ Epcot (Cultural Stereotypes)
* Jungle Cruise (Cultural Stereotypes/Colonialism)
* Jungle Skipper Canteen (Colonialism)
* Swiss Family Robinson (Colonialism)
* Pirates (Womanizing)
* Animal Kingdom (Captive Animals)
* Lion King Show @ AK (Cultural Stereotypes)
* Polynesian Resort (Cultural Stereotypes)
* Animal Kingdom Lodge (Cultural Stereotypes)
* Indian Jones Show (Womanizing/Nazis)
* Little Mermaid Show (Lack of Diversity)
* Liberty Square (Colonialism)
* Magic Kingdom Train (Indian Stereotypes/Built with Slaves)
* Magic Kingdom Parking Ferries (Look too much like Steamboats -- see Steamboats)
* Living Seas (Captive Animals)
* Spaceship Earth (Cultural Stereotypes)

Personally -- I think we need to stop construction on all projects currently in-progress and diverty any and all funds to addressing these resorts/attractions as quickly as possible.

Oh, you forgot some. Trader Sam's. Any of the old princess movies, which wipes out anything remaining after your list. Coronado Springs (glorifies the Spanish conquest of Mexico). Caribbean Beach (makes a bunch of different Caribbean islands seem all the same).

Yert3

Still don’t get why Disney can’t put up a disclaimer at the ride entrance next to the safety information explaining how Splash Mountain and Song of the South no longer reflect the current views of the company. It would safe them boatloads of money, and it would make both camps happy. They do it for movies on Disney+ and Warner Bros. does it for their cartoons as well. If that’s good enough for movies, why not theme park rides?

GladToBeHear

Oh, you forgot some. Trader Sam's. Any of the old princess movies, which wipes out anything remaining after your list. Coronado Springs (glorifies the Spanish conquest of Mexico). Caribbean Beach (makes a bunch of different Caribbean islands seem all the same).

Holy cow. I can't believe I didn't think of these. (Darn that privilege...)

Added. Thanks, J. Go Team!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Nah. You'll have to bulldoze the entire resort to be safe. And here's some other resorts/attractions that we'll need to address soon:

* Country Bear Jamboree (Old South/Womanizing)
* Tom Sawyer Island (Old South)
* Steamboat (Old South)
* Thunder Mountain Railroad (Expansionism/Treatment of Indians/Built with Slaves)
* Haunted Mansion (Mental Illness)
* Hall of Presidents (Southern/Slave-Owning Presidents Removed)
* Peter Pan (Indian Stereotypes)
* IASW (Cultural Stereotypes)
* Aladdin Spinner (Cultural Stereotypes)
* Carousel of Progress (Lack of Diversity)
* Little Mermaid (Lack of Diversity/Fat-Shaming)
* Seven Dwarfs (Lack of Diversity)
* Dumbo (Cultural Stereotypes)
* Fort Wilderness Campground (Frontier/Treatment of Indians)
* Wilderness Lodge (Frontier/Treatment of Indians)
* World Showcase @ Epcot (Cultural Stereotypes)
* Jungle Cruise (Cultural Stereotypes/Colonialism)
* Jungle Skipper Canteen (Colonialism)
* Swiss Family Robinson (Colonialism)
* Pirates (Womanizing)
* Animal Kingdom (Captive Animals)
* Lion King Show @ AK (Cultural Stereotypes)
* Polynesian Resort (Cultural Stereotypes)
* Animal Kingdom Lodge (Cultural Stereotypes)
* Indian Jones Show (Womanizing/Nazis)
* Little Mermaid Show (Lack of Diversity)
* Liberty Square (Colonialism)
* Magic Kingdom Train (Indian Stereotypes/Built with Slaves)
* Magic Kingdom Parking Ferries (Look too much like Steamboats -- see Steamboats)
* Living Seas (Captive Animals)
* Spaceship Earth (Cultural Stereotypes)
* Trader Sam's (Cultural Stereotypes)
* Coronado Springs (Glorifies Spanish conquest of Mexico)
* Caribbean Beach Resort (Homogenization of Unique Island Cultures?)

Personally -- I think we need to stop construction on all projects currently in-progress and divert any and all funds to addressing these resorts/attractions as quickly as possible.

You forget TRON for appropriating digital culture

BigDlover

Still don’t get why Disney can’t put up a disclaimer at the ride entrance next to the safety information explaining how Splash Mountain and Song of the South no longer reflect the current views of the company. It would safe them boatloads of money, and it would make both camps happy. They do it for movies on Disney+ and Warner Bros. does it for their cartoons as well. If that’s good enough for movies, why not theme park rides?
You know good and well nobody reads the safety information 😂

lazyboy97o

There's no way PatF isn't itself considered problematic in the future. It was made by a mostly white creative team, turns it black, female lead into a plush toy for most of its run time and glosses over the racial tensions of 1920s New Orleans. 10+ years after its release, it looks even more like the token of Disney's animated "classics" (which SotS was once advertised as) due to the continued lack of black leading characters in Disney's animation product. At least Black Panther had a black director.

To say nothing of all the criticisms leveled against in back in 2009. Everything from the dislike that Naveen wasn't black, but instead a made up ethnicity, to people complaining that it referenced Voodoo at all etc.
It is interesting how the perception of the film has changed and the criticisms predate 2009, going back to the initial announcement for The Frog Princess.

Yert3

You know good and well nobody reads the safety information 😂
I have before but that’s irrelevant. The fact that it’s there is what’s important. I would have never even known the disclaimer on Disney+ was there if the media didn’t report on it, as it’s in a tiny font.

958F8C0B-D7CF-4E1C-9F9B-BAF5BFBAF43D.jpeg

My question still stands. If it’s good enough for movies, why not attractions?

J_Carioca

It‘s quite telling that your worldview is more offended by being called a Karen than what Song of the South implies.

It's quite telling that you insist on pretending you have the moral high ground while engaging in exactly the same behaviour you purport to criticize. I'm not personally offended by what you call me - you don't know a single thing about me. But I do find your hypocrisy astounding.

IMDREW

Okay, I just woke up to find this thread having 100+ pages more than when i went to sleep last night.

Can anyone bring me up to speed? Or is it just 100+ pages of everyones opinion?

GoneForGood

I think this is in poor taste as well.

You may notice (unlikely) I’m not demonizing anyone involved in the film. I think poor decisions were made that people can learn from.
Hey, African American chiming in. How do you feel about the fact that the stories of the Brer animals are folklore created by Africans that were later brought over to America and then pretty much appropriated by Joel Chandler Harris? They predate their poor representation in the media. I am intrigued, does this fact change anything?

champdisney

I think this is in poor taste as well.
And yet the actors and actresses involved with the film did not. Do you see where the issue is stemming from now? Not all black people have an issue with Song of the South or Splash Mountain to be specific. It’s only a small minority and it’s a real shame that Disney is bowing down to them.

Anyway, good chat as always.

GoneForGood

Not really, no.

Again, I’m talking strictly about Song of the South. Not its influences nor predecessors.
Understood. I have always felt that the telling by Joel and SOTS were mistakes that could have been moved away from and rectified by amplifying the stories' history in Black culture. perhaps getting genuine black storytellers to reintroduce them in a way that is tasteful and respectful.

I appreciate your response :)

champdisney

So, if out of 10 people, 1 person is offended and 9 people aren't, that 1 person doesn't matter?
As long as that one person actually believes in what they’re standing up against. A person that, you know... actually goes to the parks and spends their hard earned money? I am not referring to the ones who don’t go to parks, who don’t spend their money but still manages to complain online about something being offensive when they don’t even have the genuine interest in the first place.

No. That person doesn’t matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom