Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

hokielutz

Read the thread. Frontierland is already not all "The Frontier" including Song of the South.
Isn’t the Frontier inclusive of all land west of the Mississippi? Both northern and ‘southern’ regions of the United States. ‘The South’ does not only mean the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida.

KingdomofDreams

I wasn't going to comment at all. I'm not a frequent poster, although I read the forums frequently. But as a Disney parks fan, this just makes me sad. I honestly don't believe there is anything wrong or offensive about Splash Mountain. It may have been "inspired" by a 70+ yr old movie considered controversial/racist but the ride itself only has make believe animals...a rabbit, a fox, a bear and some crows. I'm all for an attraction that is based on Tiana. It's a very cute film with good music. But there is no need whatsoever to overlay Splash. Or, maybe just do it at Disneyland where there is New Orleans Square and it would fit a bit more thematically? I really hope they rethink their decision about the ride though. It is such a slippery slope. If one looks hard enough for something to be offended by, it can be found anywhere. Just my personal .02

Giss Neric

Tony has had no input and will not have any input. This is a symbolic title / gesture.
EbYsWqxVAAEM6hJ.png

J_Carioca

They would never. It would be really insightful and self-reflective for Disney to make a documentary about it, maybe on Disney+. They could interview historians and the people that were involved with the original movie and have an honest discussion about it. But they would never do that either.

But they should. It would be much more meaningful than what they’re actually doing.

rk03221

Walt only improved the parks—his changes were never negative. The current Disney regime? Forgive me if my faith in them is minimal.

I mean not everything he did was perfect and said it himself. Everything Walt did was basically from IPs...Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Snow White, etc. weren’t his original ideas. People seem to forget that

SirNim

I haven’t seen anyone here on these boards call anyone else racist or do any shaming. Maybe I missed it?
I was called unhinged, because I tried to point out that actions like this could be emboldening some truly unhinged people feeling as though their very identities are under attack. I think the user who made that statement somehow thought I was among them for merely pointing this out. As if what I was saying isn't common knowledge... but unicuique suum. Non praevalebunt.

Tony Perkis

The source material is absolutely racist? The source material is NOT Song of the South. The source material is African-American folktales, many of them stories brought over from Africa and adapted to the new world the slaves found themselves in, with other stories being ones that the slaves adapted from other cultures, including Europe and North America. Some people with Ph.D. at the end of their names think that the Brer Rabbit stories of winning with cleverness represent slaves outsmarting the slave owners and overseers.

Others have said it better: "Aesop and Uncle Remus had taught us that comedy is a disguised form of philosophical instruction; and especially when it allows us to glimpse the animal instincts lying beneath the surface of our civilized affectations."
Ralph Ellison

Song of the South was a vehicle for telling African-American folktales. Splash Mountain went directly to the source material. It was a preservation resource for African-American history, heritage and culture that was seen and experienced by millions of people each year. Now none of those people are going to see that heritage.

An important piece of African-American heritage, culture and history is now going to die. And what replaces it? A movie I like, but one that appropriates a European story.
The source material is Song of the South.

Rescue Ranger

I'm anxious to know if they will continue to keep around Brer Fox, Bear and Rabbit in some form.

How far does this change go? Are they erasing Splash Mountain from existence? No more pins, characters, plushies, merch either? I hope this is something they speak about.

Magenta Panther

The movie isn’t racist. Is Uncle Remus hung or lynched? NOPE. Is Uncle Remus called anything derogatory? NOPE.

This bull**** that Song of the South is racist is the narrative some of the snowflakes want to push for their agenda to show their support for this insipid PR/PC decision.

In Song of the South, Uncle Remus is magical. His stories come to life - literally, according to the movie's ending. He reminded me of my own grandfather, and yes, I'm white. James Baskett was superb in the film, and now he'll be deleted - despite the fact that he was given an honorary Oscar. That's right. The first black male to win an Oscar will be forgotten thanks to people who think they're anti-racist. Oh the irony...

Kate F

The thing with me is that Splash Mountain is one of the only pieces of media I care that much about. I don’t have a backup movie or other piece of media to go to once it’s gone. This is going to be tough for me but I can’t do anything about it.

Tony Perkis

In Song of the South, Uncle Remus is magical. His stories come to life - literally, according to the movie's ending. He reminded me of my own grandfather, and yes, I'm white. James Baskett was superb in the film, and now he'll be deleted - despite the fact that he was given an honorary Oscar. That's right. The first black male to win an Oscar will be forgotten thanks to people who think they're anti-racist. Oh the irony...

Look up the “magical negro” trope.

Brer Oswald

I dunno. Sounds like the one popping off some swear words is the real snowflake here over a Disney cartoon.
Both sides are clowning. Having seen the film, I’ve never understood the take that it’s “irredeemably and maliciously racist”. It isn’t. But I’ve also seen the film. It’s really awkward and inaccurate. You can’t say it “isn’t racist” cause it is. It’s just not at level those who haven’t seen it imagine that it is.

champdisney

Naughty TinkerBelle..8878.., you haven't read the thread. This has been brought up several times:

• Song of the South doesn't fit in Frontierland, either. MK's FL is a mash up of "Frontier" and "The South." Big Thunder Mountain in Arizona is next to the Mississippi and Georgia as it is. PatF would fit perfectly with the paddle boat on the Mississippi right next to it, no?

• It's not about adding a new ride or finding a ride for PatF. It's all about getting rid of the attraction associated with the racist movie, Song of the South (even if the animals from the animated segments aren't racist in and of themselves). Disney knew the movie would be problematic, but they made it anyway. Then they had to hide it, and then they stupidly created a ride based on a problematic source. This is about Disney fully disavowing SotS. It's gravy that PatF gets an attraction.
This is the second time I have to read a poster try to correct another member of this forum by telling them that they are not keeping up with the thread.

Not everyone is tied to their electronic devices as you are! It is perfectly fine as this is an evolving story. Either keep them up to date or don’t reply. Telling others “you are not keeping up with this thread” makes you sound like an arrogant/miserable college professor.

Princess and the Frog does not belong in Frontierland as shown in the concept art! At least WDI compensated this flaw by designing Splash Mountain the way it is. Has a whimsical and western look to it on the outside. Don’t deny this fact.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Isn’t the Frontier inclusive of all land west of the Mississippi? Both northern and ‘southern’ regions of the United States. ‘The South’ does not only mean the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida.

I'm having trouble parsing this.

Everything West of the Miz is "frontier." Check.

Both Northern and Southern regions... of what? Everything West of the Miz? So, like Arizona and Colorado? OK.

"The South" does not mean just the East Coast Southern States. True. But "The South" at the time it takes place (paddle boats, briar patch, country bears) is *NOT* the Frontier. It was the Frontier two hundred years earlier. Or are you expecting an Indian attack against the Country Bears or the Paddle Boat?

Just because all that got called "Frontier" by Disney, doesn't mean they named it correctly in the first place.

And, as I've said before... wouldn't a PatF ride set in New Orleans, which is on the Mississippi, fit better with a Mississippi River paddle boat right next door?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom