Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is anyone able to explain what is racist about the movie who has actually seen it? I reserve making a judgement about the movie without having seen it or getting an non-biased explanation.

Going to miss the ride a ton though. One of my favorites.

It's been mentioned in this thread, but in Song of the South:

The movie takes place during Reconstruction as does the book it's based on. But the movie doesn't make that explicit. Many people who've seen the movie think it's still taking place during the time of slavery... which just shows what kind of depiction of Black people are given in the movie.​
The Blacks in the movie are sharecroppers during Reconstruction. Though freed, they are still dirt poor and treated very badly by most White people. Their rights are stifled (until the 1960s with the Civil Rights Act). The are kept poor and disenfranchised. And when they try to get ahead, they are lynched and terrorizes. That's the lot of the freed slaves in the South. But the movie not only ignores all that, but makes the sharecroppers happy-go-lucky farmers with not a care in the world.​
The movie engages in the trope of The Magic Negro.​

Not to mention the outrageous Southern stereotypes of the characters in the animated segments.

Now, if people say: It's not racist! Then why did Disney hide the movie from release? Why did Splash Mountain not include Uncle Remus... he was in the movie! Disney had to hide and whitewash the movie. For decades, Disney thought of it as racist.

llrain

more or less a forced move influenced by, well you know. Unless you've been living under a rock the last few months. No insult intended.
So in a time when Disney is cutting budgets left and right they find money to start a new retheme?

bryanfze55

When Colin Kaepernick is dragged through the mud for kneeling for the anthem, I'm left to assume that people are actively trying to be offended.

Yes, I completely agree with that. I was one of those people who ignored Kaepernick and just enjoyed the game. I think everyone should be allowed to express their opinion without half of the country getting “outraged.” The right wing mob is just as susceptible to idiocy as the left wing mob. But the right wing mob isn’t taking away Splash Mountain.

Minthorne

I predict this will be an epic redo and emerge even better. Happy to see this happen. I couldn’t imagine feeling bad about it going away, even though I love Splash Mountain and appreciate the efforts made to sanitize it from the original film. The referenced subject matter rightly offends people. I believe their dignity is far more important than any minor pleasure I have in riding a log flume.

hokielutz

I don’t know how to feel honestly. I was gut punched but now I’m okay lol. It helps that the re-theme looks stunning. Good things end sometimes and I hope that people can ride it one last time over the next year or two. It’s a classic. It deserves a send off.

So one released painting qualifies the re-theming as stunning?? Wake me when there is more to this... will probably be months before a schedule is released cause imagineers haven't even rolled up their sleeves to plan it out yet.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
This will not happen for a long time. This is lip service to calm the narrative regarding the ride. Disney is hemorrhaging money with the parks being closed. I am sure EPCOT will drastically reduce its expansion and I doubt any capital investments will be put on hold atleast 5 years IMO!
Let's hope you're right and we can still depend on Disney's penchant for inaction.
They don't have the money.

But given theme park demand is so low and will be for the foreseeable future, they could just keep it closed. Saves them money and appeases the woke mob.

hopemax

I’ve seen SOTS many times — it’s easily accessed on the Internet — and the live-action parts are incredibly boring, corny, and embarrassing to anyone involved.:D
Well, except the very core of the story is a boy who feels lost in the world. Separated from his father, Toby can be a playmate, but nothing more, Ginny bullied by her brothers, big concept things that a 7 year old can't fully process or understand. The only one to really "see" Johnny is Uncle Remus.

All of the packaging, I understand are huge problems, but what can we really expect from 1946? I just think people get completely carried away with the live-action hate, when at the core, the message is still relevant today. Adults dealing with their own crap, oblivious to what's going on in their kids' heads.

TJinSF

Yes, I completely agree with that. I was one of those people who ignored Kaepernick and just enjoyed the game. I think everyone should be allowed to express their opinion without half of the country getting “outraged.” The right wing mob is just as susceptible to idiocy as the left wing mob. But the right wing mob isn’t taking away Splash Mountain.

Neither is the left wing mob. "Disney Parks, Experiences and Products" is. While I understand your point, I don't think that's a distinction without a difference. I'm not just trying to be cute. Others have explained this POV more eloquently and succinctly than I could.

Last edited:

The_Jobu

I have. I told this story earlier. My wife showed me a petition last week. I said I personally wasn't offended by the ride. And I'm not. But if people are, so be it. I'll take their feelings into consideration because I am a considerate guy.

And also because it's Disney's ride and they can do whatever they want with it.

Well firstly that's an entirely different point that no one is arguing. Of course Disney can do what they want with their park...

But as I've maintained "enough people" isn't a viable value. "If people are, so be it" is equally hollow. Who determines what is "enough people"? Just because some people dont like something, doesn't mean you tear it down.

spresso81

Why not create a new PatF ride behind Splash Mountain so we increase capacity?
Why not add a tasteful statement plaque or video in the queue explaining how the actual SM ride shows how people can come together to rise above race/racism to have fun?
Why has the WDC company fallen so far in the last 15-20 years to continue to ruin the Disney World we came to love as kids?

A combo of 1-2 is what should happen. Instead, lets destroy an amazing ride and replace it with a value engineered (well it prob will cost $200 mil but look like a $10 mil) makeover.

BigDlover

I'm just laughing so hard at all the people that were so rude in the post that got moved to the political section 😄 And all the people that were like "it's okay this will all blow over in a few days" haha

Last edited:

lebeau

Well firstly that's an entirely different point that no one is arguing. Of course Disney can do what they want with their park...

But as I've maintained "enough people" isn't a viable value. "If people are, so be it" is equally hollow. Who determines what is "enough people"? Just because some people dont like something, doesn't mean you tear it down.

That's what ties my two arguments together. Disney decides.

mbuscemi23

Think about the millions of dollars that are going to be spent on a knee-jerk reaction. Who even knows what the state of politics will be by the time they get around to reopening things.

A few suggestions
1) Open a PatF attraction at Disneyland
2) Keep Splash at World, with contextualizing signage and diminished merch/emphasis
3) Retheme TSI to the Louisiana bayou with a purpose-built, gorgeous ride (based on current concept art) with a Tiana’s Place restaurant and appropriate theming. Connect the island to Frontierland/Liberty Square,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom