Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyS2992

I’m disappointed but the artwork actually really nice so we’ll see. Disneyland is fine but I don’t see how it fits in Frontierland at Magic Kingdom. If successful, just maybe, they’ll bring it to Disneyland Paris.

the.dreamfinder

Do you all know something about Baxter that I don't? Is he known to be a greedy hack who'll sell out principles for money? And you know that personally?

Because if you're impugning someone's character simply because he's involved in a project you don't like, then that's pretty despicable.
It’s not if you know that Marty Sklar did the same thing and raked in millions as a consultant to be a company mouthpiece.

SoupBone

I’m sure your master analytical skills can realize that speaking anecdotally, especially considering my usage of the word “usually”

not really interested in a debate
And I'm sure that with your firm grasp of the English language, you also realized that you used the word "most" to suggest a majority. But of course, carry on with your nonsensical "anecdotes".

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Out of all the movies Disney has remade, I really wish they would remake Song of the South and set the record straight. I’m really bummed because splash mountain is my favorite ride and love the soundtrack. I understand it’s bad taste but people need to think about the time period which it was made. Erasing history never goes over well

I've often made this case. To have the movie rebooted as set in Africa from which most of the tales originated. Then the characters of the animated segments and the songs could be repurposed.

I don't think that's an option now.

DarkMetroid567

And I'm sure that with your firm grasp of the English language, you also realized that you used the word "most" to suggest a majority. But of course, carry on with your nonsensical "anecdotes".
yes, I’m indeed suggesting a majority, and you are allowed to doubt it

WillWrambles

In the Parks
No
Do you all know something about Baxter that I don't? Is he known to be a greedy hack who'll sell out principles for money? And you know that personally?

Because if you're impugning someone's character simply because he's involved in a project you don't like, then that's pretty despicable.
Then again, certain people have shown themselves to be despicable.

SpectroMagician

Yes. Yes it is. The movie shows Black sharecroppers shortly after the Civil War (the book makes it clear that this is Reconstruction era, but the movie doesn't) happy and singing. These are people who are continuing to be brutally oppressed.

Not to mention the outlandish Southern stereotypes.

I will concede there is nothing in the Splash Mountain ride that is racist (if you ignore the Southern stereotypes). But, the association is there.

It's like trying to disassociate the Confederate flag or statues of Confederate soldiers from the racism of slavery by saying disingenuously, "It's just our Southern heritage we're celebrating."

Wait so the reason that it is racist is that there is a black man character who is happy and singing? Is that it? I was expecting much worse with everyone's reaction to it. Didn't realize a happy singing person was racist. Maybe historically inaccurate, but racist?

Tony Perkis

Can we sticky this post please? So tired of the rage mob not taking the time to research and understand history before calling for its destruction.
200.gif

GeneralZod

I don’t know why I expected more from some people who use this site. For some, your bigotry is shining like the second star to the right. You’re offended/mad/(fill in the blank) about a ride!?

Nostalgia is a part of the problem that keeps the country from moving forward. Feeling like its owed to you for a company you don’t run to keep things the way they were “back in the day” despite it offending somebody. Yes we give them our money and that means something but if you don’t like it don’t ride or just stop visiting. But they way some of you downplay the affects these type of things have on people is the true disgusting part. I really hope this thread gets closed...
You clearly have no idea what is actually transpiring here or the danger it represents to our culture. This isn't about a ride.

Super-Goof

Just don't mess with the layout of the ride. Hopefully it's a re-theming only.

Also, it would be a nice touch if Disney gave out beignets to all those waiting in queue.
I’m sure the layout is going to be exactly the same, I don’t think Disney would want to spend too much on a complete overhaul

bryanfze55

This one stings. Splash Mountain is possibly my favorite ride in the world. I was okay with the changes to Pirates, because at least the ride still existed.

Social media has officially ruined society. The loudest 1% of people ruining everything. Mob mentality.

Will I ever return to a Disney Park? Nope, not WDW. I may give DL another try, as the new ride will fit well within New Orleans Square. But the ride still has to be good. If this ends up being “Watch a screen while you ride in a flume,” I’m done for good.

DarkMetroid567

Oh, dear, people who aren't even part of this site are making fun of us? Whatever shall we do.

Please. Twitter and wherever else can spew their nonsense. It means nothing.
there’s definitely a massive Holier-than-thou sentiment here than on other forums, honestly, which is why wdwmagic gets so thoroughly cheesed

Por-Favor-Manténgase

I have a copy of Song of the South on DVD acquired from overseas. There are definitely references from the movie that were edited to be less offensive when the ride's storyline was developed. Instead of Brer Rabbit getting covered in tar and being referenced as a "tar baby", in the ride's related scene, he is placed inside a beehive instead. The Uncle Remus parts of the storyline are replaced by the green frog we see throughout the ride. I guess that's one less audio animatronic they'll need to make for the new themed ride.

DarkMetroid567

This one stings. Splash Mountain is possibly my favorite ride in the world. I was okay with the changes to Pirates, because at least the ride still existed.

Social media has officially ruined society. The loudest 1% of people ruining everything. Mob mentality.

Will I ever return to a Disney Park? Nope, not WDW. I may give DL another try, as the new ride will fit well within New Orleans Square. But the ride still has to be good. If this ends up being “Watch a screen while you ride in a flume,” I’m done for good.
my favorite ride has changed -> social media has officially ruined society

whew

mickeymiss

Oh my gosh. Will this result in closing Splash this year? I want to say goodbye! My childhood joy! I actually think the Princess and Frog theme seems VERY nice (ducks for cover) but I don't ultimately agree with the change (ducks for cover again).

LukeS7

My father's white family was sharecroppers. I guess we should burn some buildings or something. In south Mississippi, you had thousands of white sharecroppers.
I mean, should you be angry that your family was potentially taken advantage of by unfair practices? That's up to you whether you want to be angry or not about.

And yes, I'm sure you did have thousands of white sharecroppers as about 2/3 of them were white. However, if we look at the peak of sharecropping (around 1930), African Americans made up about 1/10 of the population.

Total population (1930): 123.1mil - 9.7% black (11.94mil), 88.7% white (109.19mil)
Sharecroppers (1930): 8.5mil - 3mil black, 5.5mil white

Percentage of population that were sharecroppers (1930): 6.9%
Percentage of white population: 5.04%
Percentage of black population: 25.13%

This means that if you were black, you were nearly 5 times as likely to be a sharecropper. But sure, we can pretend there's not a disparity just because white sharecroppers existed too :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom