Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChewbaccaYourMum

Oh buckle up, I'm thinking we ain't seen nothing yet.

I can't figure out why Disney doesn't realize that the Twitter rage mob and the people who spend money at their parks and resorts are not the same people.
This.
Once this is done the woke crowd will say good job on twitter, behind their computer and phone screens, but will most likely not be spending the money on the tickets, annual passes and resorts to actually see the ride. This is like the stuff that's happening in Hollywood to beloved movie franchises. The woke crowd is outraged and the movie studios make changes, the woke crowd applauds on twitter, but they don't go out to even support the movie and the box office is crap.

Just wait till more rides are deemed offensive to these people and Disney gets rid of more and more beloved rides. What happens when more and more people stop renewing their annual passes because the rides they go back time and time again to ride are gone, and constantly being taken out?
All these people just love to be offended and mad about something, they demand change and it's always at the expense of the TRUE fans.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What percentage of the "I'm Offended" crowd has actually seen Song of the South? I'm guessing it's near zero.

This is the worst news that could have come out of Disney.

I've seen it. I'm offended.

But nice try not listening to people but just impugning that they're only cause against Song of the South is that they're blindly jumping on a bandwagon.

MrPromey

... I can think of far more abominations than this one: Tiki Room Under New Management & Stitch's Great Escape are just a couple.

Both of which are now gone - one rolled back to a shorter version of the original and the other just nothing.

What does that say about the potential here?

UNCgolf

That's certainly an opinion. Haven't been on it so I couldn't say one way or another myself. But the majority of people I have heard from disagree with you.

It's a handful of really impressive AAs surrounded by a lot of empty, unused space, and the ride has no plot or anything. I think people are just impressed by the AAs. It's far too short (as a result of the retrofitting) and there's really just nothing to it beyond seeing Frozen characters and hearing songs from the movie. If you haven't seen the movie or don't care about it, there's really nothing to the ride.

A movie as successful as Frozen deserved a much better ride than Frozen Ever After.

Tony Perkis

I know the full story. Have you rode it? For the second time of asking. When did you last put your complaint in to Disney? Or are you on that band wagon that’s riding right out of Frontierland?
Yes, several times.

I do agree that the attraction is separated enough from the source material to avoid much of what makes Song of the South racist, outside of the character dialect, but the fact is that it is still tied and bound to a racist film.

Hockey89

Give me a break. Nobody was reminded of America’s history of slavery while riding Splash Mountain.

and it won’t be an improvement because modern Disney cheaps outs in any way they possibly can. Look at any concept art for any attraction built in the past 15 years, then look at the final product after the budget cuts. I will be very shocked if this ride isn’t 90% screens Like Micky & Minnie’s Runaway Cheapway.

Of course not, but he just wants to virtual signal what a good person he is for agreeing....

hokielutz

This one is obviously not about ROI. It's about mitigating bad press.

There are other ways to mitigate bad press... also they could use the money they are NOW planning to spend on this re-theming and use it for films, education, and other causes that support positive culture change. Changing the theme of this ride will not win the hearts of millions... it will just open the company up to more targets of manufactured outrage and the new theme makeover will not boost attendance.
What rides would benefit from a change... Imagination for one.

SpectroMagician

Is anyone able to explain what is racist about the movie who has actually seen it? I reserve making a judgement about the movie without having seen it or getting an non-biased explanation.

Going to miss the ride a ton though. One of my favorites.

Captain Barbossa

Has Disney announced the plans yet to remove George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, Martin Van Buren, William Henry Harrison, John Tyler, James K. Polk, Zachary Taylor, Andrew Johnson, and Ulysses S. Grant from The Hall of Presidents? They all owned slaves (some only 1, and for a very brief period of time) and they need to go now!

Washington also needs to be removed from the American Adventure, along with Benjamin Franklin (owned 2 slaves for a very short time, but was against slavery as he got older) and Mark Twain! (Did not own slaves, was against slavery, but briefly served in a local Confederate militia at the beginning of the Civil War for 2 weeks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom