Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I think my biggest regret is how likely I am to miss this when I go in Summer 2022 due to it still being closed... Unless they push some fast upgrade to have this done as one of the new things for the Anniversary...

CaptainAmerica

That doesn't surprise me. I've never seen Song of the South - I've read about it and it comes up all the time as one of the biggest racist things Disney has done and I'm aware that the company has tossed it into a vault and thrown away the key but for generations of fans the movie and the ride do not have a strong connection. Since I've never seen the film, for me the characters are unique to the ride, they sort of only exist there. I'm aware of the controversy but never really made the connection because there isn't a reference for me. I'm not shocked that people are upset because it's kind of had its own identity for a long time now.
Good point. Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear are Parks characters for all intents and purposes, like Figment.

UNCgolf

Forget the motivation behind the replacement for a moment.

What bothers me is that what's being put in its place is being done quickly and cheaply. If recent Disney projects have been a guide, the quality and immersion of the original attraction will almost certainly be lost. If Disney can improve and build something that takes what Splash was to the next level, then I will have no problem. But if we're using Mickey's RR as an example of Disney excellence, you're going to get grade A garbage.

I commented this earlier, but so much is happening I'm sure it got lost in the shuffle.

But yes, exactly. This is the biggest problem. Losing Splash Mountain is sad, but the bigger issue is that I have no faith Disney will build something comparable. I expect it to be a significantly lessened experience because they're not going to spend the money to do it correctly.

CaptainAmerica

Exactly. Tiana's a poor black working girl who lived in a slum. Waited on white people. Her mother worked for white people also. And then there's the problematic issue about Dr. Facilier.

THE VILLAIN OF THE MOVIE IS A BLACK MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All those whites in the movie and the villain is a BLACK MAN? What kind of racist move is that?

CANCEL IT IMMEDIATELY!!!!
And Tiana is FRIENDS with Charlotte. Charlotte is the Oppressor, she can't be the friend!

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
From the D23 interview:

"While several projects, like Avengers Campus—at both Disney California Adventure and Disneyland Paris—are able to surge forward based on where we were in development, there are others that will be picked back up in stages—like Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway and TRON—and some that are longer-term that we will need more time to assess."

Will be interesting to see what gets cut for this.

PrincessNelly_NJ

And Splash Mountain has nothing to do with that. SM doesn’t subliminally mind alter someone is not racist to all of a sudden start hating and mistreating minorities. All of the problematic parts of Song of the South weren’t included in SM, but I guess that wasn’t good enough. Uncle Remus was replaced by Br’er Frog. This is simply guilt by association.

You'll have to read my earlier post. It is guilt by association. And they want to fix that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom