Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brer Oswald

You're just saying that because you hate Splash Mountain and consider it racist. I distinctively remember that you were one of the users claiming that.
No I’m pretty sure they didn’t. Said they liked the ride, but they understand and accept the change.

Also there’s this.

I wish they had extracted the animated sequences from Song of the South and created a documentary-style framing for them, acknowledging the problematic nature of the original film and discussing the stories' origins.

Like you, I would hate to see the Haunted Mansion overhauled, though I'd have no objections to the removal of the hanging man.

LittleBuford

You're just saying that because you hate Splash Mountain and consider it racist. I distinctively remember that you were one of the users claiming that.

Your memory is playing tricks on you, then, because that isn't remotely my position:

As a huge Splash Mountain fan, I’m personally very sad that I won’t get to ride it again, but I’m trying to remain openminded and optimistic for the retheme. Plus it bears remembering that even the original concept was born of necessity when the Imagineers had to find a use for all the animatronic animals from America Sings.
I too feel (or at least felt) that Splash Mountain is sufficiently divorced from Song of the South to pass muster, but I can see why some feel differently and am trying to understand rather than simply dismiss their concerns.

My opposition to the GoFundMe campaign is based purely on the fact that it's a pointless waste of money.

DubyooDeeDubyoo

I wish people would stop treating this news like the Antifa Supersoldiers are pulling down Splash Mountain. Disney has probably had open discussions about the ride for a decade now. Bob seemed clearly tired of fielding the recurring neverending questions about SOTS at shareholder meetings, and the ride's merchandise doesn't sell a lot unless "Disney's forbidden past" becomes a hot topic and collectors/scalpers hoard them for a few weeks, probably before trying to return it.

The main difference is that this went from something they'd try to slide under APs noses at D23 Expo and hope nobody howled at SOTS's last remaining legacy fading away, to something they yelled out as loud as they could before they even have any concrete plans. Part of that is wanting to head off royalty suits etc, as we all know over the past 30 years companies have gotten ever more sensitive about actually acting on public feedback because someone could claim intellectual rights to it, they probably saw this campaign calling for them to do something they wanted to do and basically headed it off.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just an anecdotal:

I was in a hallmark today...and had a nice muffled chat with the ladies working.

They release their Christmas ornaments in July (which I have far too many since 1985) and I mentioned that the one released this year of Mickey Mouse with a crank xylophone that plays “zip a dee doo dah” would be a hot item due to Disney eliminating splash.

Guess what? Hallmark - not known to be “liberal” at all - sent out a directive this week to PULL the ornament before sale and return them.

I was surprised/not surprised at all.

Brer Oswald

Just an anecdotal:

I was in a hallmark today...and had a nice muffled chat with the ladies working.

They release their Christmas ornaments in July (which I have far too many since 1985) and I mentioned that the one released this year of Mickey Mouse with a crank xylophone that plays “zip a dee doo dah” would be a hot item due to Disney eliminating splash.

Guess what? Hallmark - not known to be “liberal” at all - sent out a directive this week to PULL the ornament before sale and return them.

I was surprised/not surprised at all.
That’s so damn sad. The best Disney song there was. A song of pure joy and celebration turned into a “symbol of hate” by ignorant people. This is the stuff that has me feeling absolutely depressed and hopeless. Not the ride going away.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That’s so damn sad. The best Disney song there was. A song of pure joy and celebration turned into a “symbol of hate” by ignorant people. This is the stuff that has me feeling absolutely depressed and hopeless. Not the ride going away.
I can’t believe it...my favorite ride. Ever

And a song that was just joy. Sung by animals.
No malice in it.

Ben_since_1971

Is it worth spending all sorts of discussive energy on something like this when we have this thpe of atrocity happening??

The suspect is TWELVE YEARS OLD. This is the type of racism that needs to be addressed. Splash can and perhaps should be discussed, but HAS to be #12,457 on the list.

What was posted is horrendous and so ugly as to defy description.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Is it worth spending all sorts of discussive energy on something like this when we have this thpe of atrocity happening??

The suspect is TWELVE YEARS OLD. This is the type of racism that needs to be addressed. Splash can and perhaps should be discussed, but HAS to be #12,457 on the list.

This is what you want to outrage about?

How about one of the most respected doctors in the country/world...who’s saved millions of lives working for the US government for 40 years...is about to be “fired” by an absolute idiot during a health crisis.

...or...this is a splash mountain thread and there are other places for this type of stuff?

You pick.

Ben_since_1971

This is what you want to outrage about?

How about one of the most respected doctors in the country/world...who’s saved millions of lives working for the US government for 40 years...is about to be “fired” by an absolute idiot during a health crisis.

...or...this is a splash mountain thread and there are other places for this type of stuff?

You pick.
Not sure I follow your thinking. This thread is about Splash and the changes being made, using racism as the catalyst for the change. I have no idea what you are talking about.

Brer Oswald

The topic here is Splash Mountain, so while what you posted is awful (worse than this), it’s not the topic and nobody should be shamed for talking about Splash Mountain.

Splash wasn’t racist. It was wrongly weaponized for a movement, and I think Disney should’ve waited to announce it to avoid taking steam out of the actual issues.

Prior to this fiasco, majority of my mind was on the fight against actual racism. I know it’s selfish, but Splash Mountain is my rock of inspiration. It and it’s contents are a very big part of who I am, and they bring me up when I’m feeling at my lowest. I can’t help people or fight the good fight if I’m not mentally in the game.

Now most of my energy is spent worrying about keeping myself in a good mental spot, which is rather difficult knowing my rock is destroyed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not sure I follow your thinking. This thread is about Splash and the changes being made, using racism as the catalyst for the change. I have no idea what you are talking about.
What you posted is completely unrelated.

Not good...but unrelated.

So since that’s where we were going...I put something very important and unrelated.

I’ll meet you at the bar and we’ll discuss. I’m the tall guy

Ben_since_1971

I think it is related. Arguing about Splash is or isn’t is stupid. The kind of systemic racism indicative of what this kid did and where he learned that it’s ok is what should be discussed. FWIW - I am against the retheme. Other than that - I am out of this thread.

Brer Oswald

I think it is related. Arguing about Splash is or isn’t is stupid. The kind of systemic racism indicative of what this kid did and where he learned that it’s ok is what should be discussed. FWIW - I am against the retheme. Other than that - I am out of this thread.
Just make a dedicated thread to the topic. We are in the politics thread. Link to it if you want, I just don’t see the need to guilt others who want to talk about Splash.

That’s all.

Club Cooloholic

Then...

Yert3

Floyd Norman gives his opinion of Song of the South

https:///2020/07/black-animator-defends-song-of-the-south-ne1/

keep in mind this is Inside the Magic and they have been trash for years. But I thought I’d share nonetheless.

J_Carioca

100% agree the ride is not offensive and think today’s audience isn’t even familiar enough with the film to make an educated call, but I get the film criticism. I do think that Disney did not come out and say that this change was connected to recent politics. So if they trashed the idea or only did it on one coast they don’t have to feel guilty. I think they took advantage of a time of high political anxiety and know that they can back down due to finances and let this drop and most people will still be happy and wait in 2 hour lines ride for Splash Mountain. By then , people will move on to complaining about more ridiculous things (looking at you Hamilton). For once, they could use guest feedback as their excuse not to invest and try to please both sides by doing some informational pieces in the queue. And as an English teacher who loves Twain, I’d sacrifice Tom Sawyer Island. I’ve read the books, have an interest and still never gone due to just not having the time. Give Tiana a legit new ride there and you’ll draw people to that part of the park and increase the number of popular attractions.

You need to make the time if you're a fan if the books! The island is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom