Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donaldfan1934

Point 1 just confirms that PatF is the natural choice to achieve the inclusiveness Disney wants; Point 2 reaffirms that they're using the movie for reasons other than its success, which is pretty evident.
Even if PatF was a natural choice for various reasons, can you honestly not see why this all might look a little bit suspicious to some? Especially during a time where the same movement that demanded this change has successfully made similar changes happen regarding monuments, historical figures and movies as @hokielutz mentioned earlier?

Chi84

Premium Member
Even if PatF was a natural choice for various reasons, can you honestly not see why this all might look a little bit suspicious to some? Especially during a time where the same movement that demanded this change has successfully made similar changes happen regarding monuments, historical figures and movies as @hokielutz mentioned earlier?
Isn’t more likely that Disney agrees with the movement asking for change as far as this particular ride is concerned? This isn’t a court case where a judge grants or denies a petition. It’s true that the petition is one part of a larger sociopolitical movement, but Disney has the responsibility of deciding one specific issue. It’s not going to avoid doing something it thinks is right and had already been considering just to make some kind of point.

Donaldfan1934

Isn’t more likely that Disney agrees with the movement asking for change as far as this particular ride is concerned? This isn’t a court case where a judge grants or denies a petition. It’s true that the petition is one part of a larger sociopolitical movement, but Disney has the responsibility of deciding one specific issue. It’s not going to avoid doing something it thinks is right and had already been considering just to make some kind of point.
As previously established, it is a possibility that there was likeminded sentiment internally and the new attraction was already being worked on as Disney claims. However, that does not make contrary perceptions of the situation any less understandable or valid.

Phil12

As previously established, it is a possibility that there was likeminded sentiment internally and the new attraction was already being worked on as Disney claims. However, that does not make contrary perceptions of the situation any less understandable or valid.
I think it's safe to say that TWDC does not want to have an attraction that is associated with overt racism.

Chi84

Premium Member
Good thing they didn’t. Ironically, people could find the switch to be racism. What I mean by that is, taking the one black princess I’m not even giving her her own new ride. Just trying to appease a group by retheming something else
I vote for appeasing that crowd by re-theming Splash and also giving Tiana or another minority character their own ride.

aw14

I vote for appeasing that crowd by re-theming Splash and also giving Tiana her own ride.
If people were really concerned about the lone black princess- Tiana should have received her own attraction.

Not sure what else could have been done with Splash. There was no connection to SotS.
Of course the alt-right will have that interpretation but I think we know better than to listen to those folks.
😂.

Your idea of what the alt right is, is hilarious. Thank you for that laugh today.

Sharon&Susan

If Splash Mountain is "alt-right" why are they getting the creative lead of such a racist attraction to consult any ideas for Frog Mountain made by the diverse team at Imagineering.

Phil12

If I didn’t know better, it would seem you are casting unsubstantiated aspersions. I’m sure we could both play that game. Right comrade?
1593717057166.png

BromBones

If you're going to try to call me out for insulting somebody at least have courage to tell me what I said wrong.
But everybody is so sensitive in these forums that I could say "hello" and someone could take offense to it.

If you want to be over sensitive...take it to Twitter or leave it in High School.

Chi84

Premium Member
Regardless of what you call them, they were a group of people who demanded a change more people disagreed with than agreed with and won anyway.
I guess it depends on who you define as "more people." If you limit it to the people signing petitions, then it would seem that Disney chose to side with the smaller group demanding a change. Maybe they were considering a broader audience and not limiting their decision to petitions. Or maybe they thought the smaller number of people had a more valid point than the larger number of people.

21stamps

Apart from adding Wales, please! It is the only part of the main U.K. not represented. It is recognised as having the oldest language in Europe and has its own National dress, a fantastic flag and one of the finest anthems in the world!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿.

...and Gareth Bale. I like Wales just for that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom