Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyLuv'r

When I said "these boards," I didn't just mean this site. I suspect allears surveyed the people who visit its site, which is another website dedicated to discussing all things Disney. I meant the average Disney guest, who is likely unaware that these sites even exist. People who spend time visiting these sites, reading the articles, responding to surveys, posting tips, etc. are a very small part of Disney's customer base.

Ha!

It is very difficult to navigate WDW without doing internet research first. Everyone I have ever talked to about going to WDW, wants to information before they plunk down $100+ for Memory Maker. There's a thriving number of websites selling this exact information.

WDW has a long list of terms to know: Fast pass, Advanced Dining Reservation, Rom only reservation, Magic Express, My Disney Experience, Annual Pass, Cast Member, Character Meal, deluxe meal, Value/regular/deluxe dining plan, dining credit, snack credit, Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Disney Springs, Disney Vacation Club, ECV, Extra Magic Hours, Magic band, Memory Maker ride names MCO, Transportation Ticket Center, World Showcase, Future World, Tomorrowland, Frontierland, (etc.), Wide World of Sports, names of the Disney hotels, Value/moderate/Deluxe, Blizzard Beach, Park Hopper, standard/resort/garden view, and more.

It is possible to go to WDW without knowing all of these terms, but in my experience, most people going to WDW don't want to look stupid when they arrive, to waste $ on something they don't need, or to waste vacation time trying to figure out the basics of touring

Donaldfan1934

When I said "these boards," I didn't just mean this site. I suspect allears surveyed the people who visit its site, which is another website dedicated to discussing all things Disney. I meant the average Disney guest, who is likely unaware that these sites even exist. People who spend time visiting these sites, reading the articles, responding to surveys, posting tips, etc. are a very small part of Disney's customer base.
You realize you can justify literally any decision if you go by the “average Disney guest”, right? Even if there’s overlap between the two sites, the fact the ride is that highly rated anywhere should be more than enough proof that Splash isn’t some niche attraction that’s only lasted this long to appease the hardest of hardcore fans. Then again, why should Disney care about any amount of people liking anything about their parks? As long as there are people out there who don’t care either way, you can stick to the old Rizzo mantra.
0146B072-0F41-442C-B93D-16E1032D1983.jpeg

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
Ha!

It is very difficult to navigate WDW without doing internet research first. Everyone I have ever talked to about going to WDW, wants to information before they plunk down $100+ for Memory Maker. There's a thriving number of websites selling this exact information.

WDW has a long list of terms to know: Fast pass, Advanced Dining Reservation, Rom only reservation, Magic Express, My Disney Experience, Annual Pass, Cast Member, Character Meal, deluxe meal, Value/regular/deluxe dining plan, dining credit, snack credit, Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Disney Springs, Disney Vacation Club, ECV, Extra Magic Hours, Magic band, Memory Maker ride names MCO, Transportation Ticket Center, World Showcase, Future World, Tomorrowland, Frontierland, (etc.), Wide World of Sports, names of the Disney hotels, Value/moderate/Deluxe, Blizzard Beach, Park Hopper, standard/resort/garden view, and more.

It is possible to go to WDW without knowing all of these terms, but in my experience, most people going to WDW don't want to look stupid when they arrive, to waste $ on something they don't need, or to waste vacation time trying to figure out the basics of touring
I agree 100%. But In my experience people visiting to find out what to pack and where to park aren’t the ones spending their time entering into limitless discussions of everything Disney does. We are a very small (albeit special) group.

Chi84

Premium Member
You realize you can justify literally any decision if you go by the “average Disney guest”, right? Even if there’s overlap between the two sites, the fact the ride is that highly rated anywhere should be more than enough proof that Splash isn’t some niche attraction that’s only lasted this long to appease the hardest of hardcore fans. Then again, why should Disney care about any amount of people liking anything about their parks? As there are people out there who don’t care either way, you can stick to the old Rizzo mantra.View attachment 481034
That’s true. That’s why Disney doesn’t make decisions based on the number of signatures on petitions. It knows the customer it’s going after as well as the image it’s seeking to project.

Donaldfan1934

That’s true. That’s why Disney doesn’t make decisions based on the number of signatures on petitions. It knows the customer it’s going after as well as the image it’s seeking to project.
If you insist. Even if Disney made this decision before the mob came after them and is depending on Rizzo logic to push ahead with it, that doesn’t change the fact that announcing it when they did gave said mob a win and a sense of power over them to demand further changes regardless of whether or not the opposition towards them is greater than the push.

Brer Panther

I'm not sure why people find it "suspicious" or "convenient" for Disney to embrace PatF. It furthers their goal.
Two reasons...

1) This is the exact same idea that the folks who started the petition in the first place petitioned for - a Princess and the Frog retheme of Splash Mountain. I highly doubt it's just a coincidence.

2) Disney viewed The Princess and the Frog as a flop simply for not making as much money as they'd expected. I like the movie and don't think it deserved to underperform, but Disney saw it "flopping" as proof that people don't like hand-drawn animation anymore (though in truth, I think most of the blame should be put on Disney releasing it against AVATAR and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel). It's rather strange that they would be making a ride based on a movie that "flopped", considering that in the past they've cancelled attractions based on films because of those films flopping (the Atlantis retheme of Disneyland's Submarine Voyage, for example).

Chi84

Premium Member
If you insist. Even if Disney made this decision before the mob came after them and is depending on Rizzo logic to push ahead with it, that doesn’t change the fact that announcing it when they did gave said mob a win and a sense of power over them to demand further changes regardless of whether or not the opposition towards them is greater than the push.
It's only a demanding mob causing damage if you don't agree with their agenda. I'm not saying I necessarily agree with them, just that your post comes from a very definite perspective.

Chi84

Premium Member
Two reasons...

1) This is the exact same idea that the folks who started the petition in the first place petitioned for - a Princess and the Frog retheme of Splash Mountain. I highly doubt it's just a coincidence.

2) Disney viewed The Princess and the Frog as a flop simply for not making as much money as they'd expected. I like the movie and don't think it deserved to underperform, but Disney saw it "flopping" as proof that people don't like hand-drawn animation anymore (though in truth, I think most of the blame should be put on Disney releasing it against AVATAR and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel). It's rather strange that they would be making a ride based on a movie that "flopped", considering that in the past they've cancelled attractions based on films because of those films flopping (the Atlantis retheme of Disneyland's Submarine Voyage, for example).
Point 1 just confirms that PatF is the natural choice to achieve the inclusiveness Disney wants; Point 2 reaffirms that they're using the movie for reasons other than its success, which is pretty evident.

LittleBuford

Two reasons...

Note that the idea isn’t new. It was already being imagined on this site two years ago:

The music in P&F is excellent, and the story would fit Americana frontier/southern vibe adjacent to HM!

It may well be that Disney borrowed the idea, but the borrowing could have happened long before the petition.

MickeyLuv'r

I agree 100%. But In my experience people visiting to find out what to pack and where to park aren’t the ones spending their time entering into limitless discussions of everything Disney does. We are a very small (albeit special) group.

Huh?
That's not at all what you said earlier.

Donaldfan1934

It's only a demanding mob causing damage if you don't agree with their agenda. I'm not saying I necessarily agree with them, just that your post comes from a very definite perspective.
Regardless of what you call them, they were a group of people who demanded a change more people disagreed with than agreed with and won anyway.

Phil12

*People praise Frozen’s snowfall and other impressive special FX, but that doesn’t save the stiff, generic character animation.
You're really selling the Disney animation folks short. You see, it's really very, very cold in that attraction and to be accurate, the characters move with stiff and inflexible gesticulations just as real humans, animals and snowmen move at sub-zero temperatures. It's realism!

Disney Analyst

To say that they won is to assume that they succeeded in changing Disney’s mind, and we have no evidence of that.

Precisely. Anyone going with this narrative that the petition or the social media conversation 2-3 weeks ago somehow made Disney quickly come up with this decision is just not thinking clearly.

Disney has definitely had plans in the works, Splash has been a decided issue for some time, and if anything the current climate made them show their cards earlier then they would have.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
Huh?
That's not at all what you said earlier.
I meant there's a difference between the casual visitor to a website and one who debates everything Disney does. Someone who wants to know whether to bring a sweater in October may not have as strong an attachment to Disney and its rides as the ones who visit often, take part in polls, and debate every move Disney makes. If we actually are Disney's main customer base, I feel sorry for Disney because we tend to be a very fickle lot. No matter what change Disney makes (room security checks, resort parking fees, eliminating straws), a large number of people here swear it's the last time they'll ever visit Disney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom