Splash Mountain Construction

jmuboy

On the left side of the flume where the track ends it looks like the faux rockwork is broken up. From track removal I assume?

Well, here's a shot of track right next to the first pic, so I thought they must have already taken the old track out in the first photo. Sorry to be less than 100% accurate.

http://.smugmug.com/Walt-Disney-World/Nick-Corjays-15/123/760189053_6UqfF-L.jpg

EPCOT Explorer

:ROFLOL:

:wave:

:ROFLOL:

Good one.
Ahthankyou, gentlemen.
On the left side of the flume where the track ends it looks like the faux rockwork is broken up. From track removal I assume?
Nah, prpbably because it doesn't need to be seen.

or else from a guest whipping their child for standing up on the ride.
Please don't bring that up. It brings back unfortunate memories from when I was a bad child. :lookaroun :lol:

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster

It doesn't look like they've done any work to that piece of track (brake) area, so that busted rockwork could be old, or could be from unrelated construction.

_Scar

Sorry I was a little tense guys. And I've also been a little argumentative in other threads and for that I am also sorry. I've been a little on edge all week because of stress at school.

:/

I really need one of those Zip A Dee Doo Dah days!

But I do know WDWMagic is my laughin' place :)

1disneydood

2757996.jpg

Buzzforprez

No prob! And I may have pushed a button or two there... :p

Like I said, it's not wanting to rush anyone - it's wanting to prevent the whole ride from stopping!

That being said, CMs do see when it's someone legitimately having a tough time trying to get in as fast as possible. I can't speak for other CMs, but personally, if I saw someone was making every attempt to get in as quickly as their body would allow, I didn't push. It was only when I saw what seemed to be "dawdling" that I spoke up and asked people to move quickly. And believe me, there are those of us that understand the tall thing. :p I'm only a puny 5'9", but we do have one CM that's 6'9"...

I don't know about a height restriction, but somewhere, Gabriel Iglesias is going to be crying in a corner. :lol:

I don't know that it's technically called a track... possibly... but that's actually a brake, believe it or not, referred to as the "drop 4 brake." During emergency stops and power disconnects (whether manual or automatic), that whole section is actually lifted up. So if a log is coming down the big drop, it will be lifted up out of the water by that strip, bringing it to a rather sudden stop. So if you're walking by and you see a log sitting on that brake, the attraction is down, and 99% of the time it's an automatic evacuation (unless that log is empty) because it will have to be physically pushed out of the brake.

So your saying if I want to be a castmember at SM I have to be able to push out logs in the public view????? Wow now thats pressure!

xfkirsten

Very interesting. I eat up this technical info about rides.

If I were to win the lottery and not need a job, I'd move to FL and be a button pusher on every ride on property....and I'd learn every nut and bolt on every ride. I just love that stuff - no matter how simple and mundane it is!

I love it too! I love chatting with maintenance people and learning how the ride works. :D

So your saying if I want to be a castmember at SM I have to be able to push out logs in the public view????? Wow now thats pressure!

You, my friend, win at life!

(But sadly, as of a year or so ago, only maintenance gets to actually push out logs... the rest of us just have to wait. :lookaroun)

Rob562

The rockword has been repaired, still needs to be painted http://twitpic.com/xyqm0

Actually, that pic shows the track and brakes mentioned earlier in this thread perfectly. The outer rails along either side of the trough are the "track", though it's pretty much a smooth surface for tht wheels under the log to roll along down the hill and then they gradually get lower down into the water to ease the log into the water on the run-out.

In-between those two rails you can see the brakes that were mentioned. By the looks of it, they operate similar to the old "skid brakes" on wooden roller coasters. When deployed upward, they contact plates under the log and literally lift the log off its rolling wheels, and the log skids to a halt.

Though I'd heard within the past couple years during one of the annual refurbs they replaced those brakes with some kind of electro-magnetic/linear-induction based brakes, which could stop the logs in less time than the old brakes...

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom