Splash Mountain closing for annual refurbishment in January 2014

Sassagoula-Rvr

Speaking as someone who visits only in the "winter"... no it doesn't suck... in fact, I can get in 5 rides, usually in a row and love the beejezus out of it...

Winter in Florida, isn't really Winter when you live in Canada...

What sucks is that the refurb is usually done in the winter.

You hit the nail on the head...Canada or the upper mid-west...

Went to the World last winter...I'm thinking I may never go in the summer again...first time I've ever been wearing shorts and sandals in dead of winter...I loved it.

Cmdr_Crimson

You hit the nail on the head...Canada or the upper mid-west...

Went to the World last winter...I'm thinking I may never go in the summer again...first time I've ever been wearing shorts and sandals in dead of winter...I loved it.

I can't agree more. I was at Typhoon Lagoon during my January trip and while sitting there getting a tan and staring at the blank blue sky in warm 82 degrees.....IT HIT ME! It was 22 degrees and snowing in Chicago that day and I'm as happy as can be where I was..

MerlinTheGoat

It still gets cold in Florida. Not below 0 temperatures obviously, but still plenty cold enough that it's going to be bad for your health (not to mention extremely uncomfortable) to go around wearing short and/or wet clothes. We visited near Christmas of 2010 and it got down well below 30 at night (and was still very nippy in the day). I also caught a bad cold and had to stay indoors for quite some time. Mom's arthritis was also aggravated by the cold and we had to rent her a wheelchair.

Any refurb canceled is a huge loss if it means the ride eventually looking the way it did pre-2013. If they've decided they can cancel it and keep it in proper show-ready condition then that's fine, but I highly doubt they came to any sort of conclusion (it was likely money related and they don't care if it falls back into disrepair).

I was also under the impression the refurb would involve some important infrastructural changes to the ride system including replacing components on the lift hills, water jets, sensors etc. Someone mentioned that here a while back. I hope a cancellation doesn't present any safety issues as well as show problems.

Last edited:

Sassagoula-Rvr

I can't agree more. I was at Typhoon Lagoon during my January trip and while sitting there getting a tan and staring at the blank blue sky in warm 82 degrees.....IT HIT ME! It was 22 degrees and snowing in Chicago that day and I'm as happy as can be where I was..
YES!! I flew out of ORD right before a snow storm hit...when the pilot came on and said "Welcome to Orlando, current air temperature is 80 degrees"...I was in heaven.

Edit: I also began to slightly question my choice of living in the midwest :)

Kyle Nichols

Ok, I'm officially annoyed by this at this point. I know you can't have your cake and eat it too... if you want the rides to be kept in good shape, they have to be refurbed, but I'm sorry, I do see something wrong with a major attraction that needs to be closed for an entire month every year. Can't they figure something else out here?
Agreed. This is the only time of year I am able to go down to Disney and Every time it is closed...not to mention one of my favorite rides. very frustrating!

Sans Souci

I am from Chicago, too. I went at the beginning of March and I was wearing a thick fleece under a vest, hat, scarf and gloves. I was so cold and I was really wishing I'd brought my stadium-length, down-filled winter coat. It was in the mid 30s at night.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Would anybody know if Splash Mountain will be closed this January? I am planning on vacationing there this January, and it would be quite regrettable if it were closed.

Don't worry. I think the one in the parallel universe is still open. Just watch out for the walternate.

Figments Friend

Not sure where the 80 degree weather in January is coming from....i must be missing it.

I have been at the Parks in January over the past few years and it was quite chilly.
Sweatshirts and long pants a must...unless of course you are from the Northeast, in which case you can spot them a mile away with their Red Sox and Yankees gear and shorts on !
:p

I recall one visit a couple of years ago we had a frost come through, and the next morning most of the plantings on property were brown.
Little signs had been staked in the ground that apologized for the shabby appearance, noting that 'old man winter had paid us a visit..'.
That was a fun little touch.

ToTBellHop

Not sure where the 80 degree weather in January is coming from....i must be missing it.

I have been at the Parks in January over the past few years and it was quite chilly.
Sweatshirts and long pants a must...unless of course you are from the Northeast, in which case you can spot them a mile away with their Red Sox and Yankees gear and shorts on !
:p

I recall one visit a couple of years ago we had a frost come through, and the next morning most of the plantings on property were brown.
Little signs had been staked in the ground that apologized for the shabby appearance, noting that 'old man winter had paid us a visit..'.
That was a fun little touch.
It most certainly is 80 degrees in January at points. I have experience high temperatures from as low as 49 degrees (brrr!!!) to as high as 85 degrees (Blizzard Beached it). Average is low-70s--which plenty of us Northerners think is warm enough for Splash Mountain. That said, if it needs a refurb every year, the coolest month of the year is a smart choice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom