Splash Mountain closing for annual refurbishment in January 2014

MerlinTheGoat

Do you actually think Disney would ever admit to anything that could be construed as a negative towards the company? Really? You think they're going to come out and confirm publicly that they made idiotic mistakes under both Eisner and Iger? The only people who done something like that and spoken up against such neglect are generally forced into retirement ala Tony Baxter. Again ask Lee or Martin about the Imagination debacle, they know a lot more about the ride and its end than I do. And I believe it was Lasseter that was responsible for saving the subs at DL. They're closed at the moment and apparently no work has actually begun either refurbishing them or demolishing them for future expansion.

Disneyland was a mess maintenance wise from the mid-late 90's up to until about 2005 when Matt Ouimet oversaw the 50th cleanup, people died as a result of improper attraction upkeep prior to the shift in maintenance (the Columbia and Big Thunder accidents were found to be caused by improper safety inspections and prior neglect). Even Space Mountain at DL during that dark era was said to have been close to further injury of guests had it not been caught and taken offline for a LONG refurbishment. I don't know whether WDW suffered from the same sort of problems during that era (I quit visiting in '97 when there were already signs of attractions being replaced with crap and maintenance budgets being slashed) but it would not surprise me if its management was also a mess there (even if it didn't lead to any deaths like Disneyland). Iger just escalated problems that were already present under Eisner. Even WDW1974 (apparent Eisner fanboi though he is, sorry spirit i'm just messing with you :p ) has admitted that Eisner helped to instigate some of the earlier slashes in maintenance crews and budgets. Iger has simply continued and escalated problems already present and took further steps to stamp out recovery efforts that Eisner was attempting to make during his final few years with Ouimet. With nextgen now out of control, those budget cuts are only going to end up getting worse without new leadership.

Asking for proof from Disney for these actions is a bit absurd. We don't have any Disney provided proof Iger has imposed cost cuts either, but we just know from both personal experience as well as information from trustworthy people such as Lee, Martin, WDW1974 etc. We know Festival of Fantasy's budget was cut considerably, even if it hasn't been made official. We also know nextgen is a financial disaster of a money pit despite Iger's insistence to the contrary and attempts to cover it up.

Last edited:

Tonka's Skipper

Do you actually think Disney would ever admit to anything that could be construed as a negative towards the company? Really? You think they're going to come out and confirm publicly that they made idiotic mistakes under both Eisner and Iger? The only people who done something like that and spoken up against such neglect are generally forced into retirement ala Tony Baxter. Again ask Lee or Martin about the Imagination debacle, they know a lot more about the ride and its end than I do. And I believe it was Lasseter that was responsible for saving the subs at DL. They're closed at the moment and apparently no work has actually begun either refurbishing them or demolishing them for future expansion.

Disneyland was a mess maintenance wise from the mid-late 90's up to until about 2005 when Matt Ouimet oversaw the 50th cleanup, people died as a result of improper attraction upkeep prior to the shift in maintenance (the Columbia and Big Thunder accidents were found to be caused by improper safety inspections and prior neglect). Even Space Mountain at DL during that dark era was said to have been close to further injury of guests had it not been caught and taken offline for a LONG refurbishment. I don't know whether WDW suffered from the same sort of problems during that era (I quit visiting in '97 when there were already signs of attractions being replaced with crap and maintenance budgets being slashed) but it would not surprise me if its management was also a mess there (even if it didn't lead to any deaths like Disneyland). Iger just escalated problems that were already present under Eisner. Even WDW1974 (apparent Eisner fanboi though he is, sorry spirit i'm just messing with you :p ) has admitted that Eisner helped to instigate some of the earlier slashes in maintenance crews and budgets. Iger has simply continued and escalated problems already present and took further steps to stamp out recovery efforts that Eisner was attempting to make during his final few years with Ouimet. With nextgen now out of control, those budget cuts are only going to end up getting worse without new leadership.

Asking for proof from Disney for these actions is a bit absurd. We don't have any Disney provided proof Iger has imposed cost cuts either, but we just know from both personal experience as well as information from trustworthy people such as Lee, Martin, WDW1974 etc. We know Festival of Fantasy's budget was cut considerably, even if it hasn't been made official. We also know nextgen is a financial disaster of a money pit despite Iger's insistence to the contrary and attempts to cover it up.

I am not so much a Eisner fan as the guy who thinks Eger has no idea how to run a company with its special needs and abilities.......He maybe a good bottom line guy, but (as his problems running the parks show) he doesn't understand Disney is a company that lives and dies on it reputation. He doesn't understand the Disney MAGIC.To me he is the worse type of money guy, the type that is only looking at the next quarter or yearly bottom line and but the long term.

Look my friend............we are not going to change each others minds, and I think we do agree on some things. IE.. general maintenance issues in WDW.

Lets agree to disagree!

AKK

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom