Splash Mountain changes its splash

RSoxNo1

Why would it be in Disney's interests to have an attraction a fair number of people don't want to ride?

Look at it this way: IF the cannon is actually a change, do you think the number of people who won't go on anymore or who will be upset afterwards outnumbers the number of people who will now ride and ride happily?

Whether or not there was fair warning is irrelevant. If enough people didn't like it -- and it's every bit as reasonable for them not to as it is for others to like it -- then it doesn't matter if there was fair warning or if people should expect to get soaked on a water ride.

Further, people may be willing to risk getting quite wet on an attraction that says "you may get wet," but getting shot by a cannon at the start is not quite the same as spending the whole ride wondering how wet you'll get in the big plunge.

Also, it's funny that people being happy about something has been termed being a debbie downer. . .

For me, this keeps me off Kali River Rapids on most days.

Kuhio

I like getting wet, but not jumped-in-the-pool-wearing-all-your-clothes soaked. In that regard, I've had really unusual luck with the various Splash Mountains.

In the probably dozens of times I've been on WDW's version, I've never once gotten hit by the water cannon -- it's always fired right before or after my log. For years, I refused to believe that it could actually hit a log, despite what numerous friends insisted. I thought it was one of those effects that was deliberately timed to scare you by automatically missing you at the last moment. Without the cannon splashing, I've always found the splashing you get from the drop to be just right -- not too much, not too little.

In contrast, I've always gotten completely and utterly soaked when I've gone on DL's Splash Mountain, no matter the configuration of my log: I've been in the front, back, and middle -- with a heavy, full log or a light, empty log -- but I invariably get soaked to the skin just from the big drop. In fact, a few years back I went on Grizzly River Run and got pleasantly wet -- just the right amount -- then went next door to DL, and got utterly soaked on Splash Mountain an hour later.

askmike1

They do this all the time. During times of colder weather (or other conditions), they use an altered cannon shoot so you don't get quite as wet. That's why 9 times out of 10 you'll get more wet in the summer months than in the Winter months.

Zac Skellington

Not the point.

Seriously thats not what they are happy about

its not about the warnin....ugh....read this

If it was just a log flume like at any Six Flags or Cedar Fair Park then yes, dont ride. But its not, its one of the best darks rides. The point of everyone being happy about this is now they don't have to make the deciscion about getting SOAKED (not just wet but soaked) randomly. Besides that is some really disgusting water your getting covered in.

This. Can't understand why some people are all hung up on the warning signs. CLEARLY most guests didn't like having their shoes filled, and Disney listened.

Thank you! Goodbye to the cheap drenching!!! BTW, this was in effect on our November 2010 trip as well. Love it, Love

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
They do this all the time. During times of colder weather (or other conditions), they use an altered cannon shoot so you don't get quite as wet. That's why 9 times out of 10 you'll get more wet in the summer months than in the Winter months.

In colder months in the past they turned the water cannon off completely. The new effect is a modified version of the water cannon that stops short of the logs.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Just to update on this, the new reduced canon effect is still in operation as of Sunday May 1. Temps have been in the upper 80s, low 90s for the last few weeks now.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Smart move by disney here. I didn't like that cheap soaking.The inside of Splash is also really cold usually, so you freeze the entire time. If you get wet going down the flume, then so be it. That is part of the fun.

The last time I road, we were the only 2 on the log, and we figured, lets sit in back, we can avoid the soaking. So we passed the cannon, it soaked the front seats, we were feeling good about our decision. Got the the big drop, cam hurtling down and SLAM, got SOAKED. The way the log hit the run out at the bottom being back heavy caused a huge wave to overtake our log and slam us right in the faces. It was hysterical. My wife's reaction was priceless. Man I love that ride.

Batphobic

It was kinda like playing water cannon roulette. You never knew if it was going to sync up with your log or not so there was a slight adrenaline rush as you went under it wondering if it would go off or not

I agree. That was one of the fun aspects of the ride. Now to go by the cannon and have it shoot and fall short it'll be a downer. Hopefully it's just something they would implement during cooler hours/seasons

fosse76

Possible that some people want to enjoy the ride without getting soaked. I know I've skipped Splash on numerous occasions because I didn't want to walk around the park feeling like I'd just stepped out of the shower.

SO under this reasoning, should Disney remove the inversions from Rock'n' Rollercoaster because some people think the themeing is great but don't like the inversions?

Splash Mountain is a flume ride. It was designed with probably the best themeing of any attraction at Disney, but it was always designed to get riders wet.

Batphobic

SO under this reasoning, should Disney remove the inversions from Rock'n' Rollercoaster because some people think the themeing is great but don't like the inversions?

Splash Mountain is a flume ride. It was designed with probably the best themeing of any attraction at Disney, but it was always designed to get riders wet.

well said.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member

The water cannon was not a function of the ride itself as an inversion in a roller coaster would be. I have no problem with the idea of getting wet on Splash Mtn as a function of the ride, ie.- the drop, but I do have a problem with the water cannon which in my mind equated to nothing more than a sucker punch.

the-reason14

Rockin Roller Coaster has great theming? Since when!!!??? :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom