Splash Mountain Appreciation Thread

MerlinTheGoat

Do you think they have plans on making animatronics out of the characters shown in the painting of the crown being placed on the water tower? I feel like it'd be silly to have them be solely relegated to a supplementary piece of media but then again guests probably aren't as familiar with them as the chefs from the film.
I don't know 100%, but my guess is that they're likely going to be in the attraction. It would be fairly silly for them to be going all-in on the "employee owned" angle without actually including any of the employees.

Cmdr_Crimson

God I hate how boring this turtle looks.

Do you think they have plans on making animatronics out of the characters shown in the painting of the crown being placed on the water tower? I feel like it'd be silly to have them be solely relegated to a supplementary piece of media but then again guests probably aren't as familiar with them as the chefs from the film.
We have to learn that all concept art will not be what it is..Let's never forgot what we have learned..
1688086774213.jpeg

iamgroot61

In the Parks
No
Lots of comments on this thread. I haven't read them all. Sadly, I have not ridden the WDW version of SM. Didn't even know it had lap bars (the one in Anaheim never did). I have mixed feelings about the re-theme. On one hand, I love Princess and the Frog. It has compelling characters and excellent music, just like Song of the South. So I don't have an issue there. I read someplace that they will be reusing some of the animatronics, also good. On the other hand, my issue is, I suppose, more "political." SOTS was impossible to buy in the US for a looooong time, and still isn't available on Blu-Ray on Amazon. So in a way, I see this as another PC move by Disney to remove a "controversial" IP from their parks. It's sad.

Disgruntled Walt

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Lots of comments on this thread. I haven't read them all. Sadly, I have not ridden the WDW version of SM. Didn't even know it had lap bars (the one in Anaheim never did). I have mixed feelings about the re-theme. On one hand, I love Princess and the Frog. It has compelling characters and excellent music, just like Song of the South. So I don't have an issue there. I read someplace that they will be reusing some of the animatronics, also good. On the other hand, my issue is, I suppose, more "political." SOTS was impossible to buy in the US for a looooong time, and still isn't available on Blu-Ray on Amazon. So in a way, I see this as another PC move by Disney to remove a "controversial" IP from their parks. It's sad.
You missed a vastly superior SM. The only redeeming thing about DL’s SM was the America Sings animatronics. WDW’s was like a finished product to DL’s first draft. The story was much clearer, the boats floated by the scenes slowly enough to the rider to really take it in. There’s a great HD 360 degree POV on YouTube that is the closest you can come now.

iamgroot61

In the Parks
No
You missed a vastly superior SM. The only redeeming thing about DL’s SM was the America Sings animatronics. WDW’s was like a finished product to DL’s first draft. The story was much clearer, the boats floated by the scenes slowly enough to the rider to really take it in. There’s a great HD 360 degree POV on YouTube that is the closest you can come now.
Definitely regret not riding the WDW version.

Musical Mermaid

It's okay to have mixed feelings. This isn't as black and white an issue as some people on social media will paint it. I see nothing wrong with Princess and the Frog getting a ride, just disagree on the type of ride and where it's being placed, at WDW anyways, don't know the area at Disneyland. I see it having a wider appeal to more young children and older adults (thus inviting for the whole family) as a simple boat ride like Navi River Journey. I can picture that making a whole lot more sense than going down steep drops in New Orleans. However, building new stuff takes a lot of money and Disney would rather put money into projects such as the NBA Experience, Harmonious, the Star Wars Hotel, and Tron. It's far easier and cheaper for them to put Princess and the Frog where they want to shut down a ride.

I dislike how anything related to the brer characters is now being villified and cancelled. Anyone who wants to meet Brer Rabbit, Fox, or Bear no longer can. Anyone who wants new merchandise of them, that option is gone too. I don't think that this ride needed a replacement, but even if Disney still wanted to, they're having to concoct so many backstories and odd reasons why this belongs in Frontierland rather than finding a more appropriate solution. And there are those who say we now need to change Frontierland because Princess and the Frog doesn't fit.

The company used to have some of the most creative minds around and in my opinion, they took the cheap option, aren't adding capacity, and angered a lot of people in the meantime. When a ride isn't popular anymore, I get it, we still need a replacement for Stitch's Great Escape and Primeval Whirl, but Splash Mountain still had one of the longest lines in the park. It still made so many people happy, which is why this thread exists. I'm glad I have the memories and hopefully the new ride will be better than we expect, but the whole process has left a sour taste in my mouth.

Disgruntled Walt

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
the whole process has left a sour taste in my mouth.
That’s just it. It’s always going to be “the ride that was once Splash Mountain and in many ways still is.” I’ll never be able to truly view it objectively.

It still made so many people happy, which is why this thread exists
Precisely! And the other threads were turning into a persecution chamber for anyone who dared utter the words “Splash,” “mountain,” and especially “rabbit.”

iamgroot61

In the Parks
No
It's okay to have mixed feelings. This isn't as black and white an issue as some people on social media will paint it. I see nothing wrong with Princess and the Frog getting a ride, just disagree on the type of ride and where it's being placed, at WDW anyways, don't know the area at Disneyland. I see it having a wider appeal to more young children and older adults (thus inviting for the whole family) as a simple boat ride like Navi River Journey. I can picture that making a whole lot more sense than going down steep drops in New Orleans. However, building new stuff takes a lot of money and Disney would rather put money into projects such as the NBA Experience, Harmonious, the Star Wars Hotel, and Tron. It's far easier and cheaper for them to put Princess and the Frog where they want to shut down a ride.

I dislike how anything related to the brer characters is now being villified and cancelled. Anyone who wants to meet Brer Rabbit, Fox, or Bear no longer can. Anyone who wants new merchandise of them, that option is gone too. I don't think that this ride needed a replacement, but even if Disney still wanted to, they're having to concoct so many backstories and odd reasons why this belongs in Frontierland rather than finding a more appropriate solution. And there are those who say we now need to change Frontierland because Princess and the Frog doesn't fit.

The company used to have some of the most creative minds around and in my opinion, they took the cheap option, aren't adding capacity, and angered a lot of people in the meantime. When a ride isn't popular anymore, I get it, we still need a replacement for Stitch's Great Escape and Primeval Whirl, but Splash Mountain still had one of the longest lines in the park. It still made so many people happy, which is why this thread exists. I'm glad I have the memories and hopefully the new ride will be better than we expect, but the whole process has left a sour taste in my mouth.
I agree with your comments. At DL, SM is located in Critter Country. The last attraction you see passing out of Orlean's Square is HM, then you hit the Pooh ride (formerly Bear Country Jamboree) on the right, and then SM on the left. I suppose this location NEAR Orlean's Square sort of makes sense for the Tiana ride (whose setting is the Louisiana Bayou). There is also some PATF-style entertainment in the square in the form of a Dixieland band with a female vocalist. From what I've seen regarding the new ride, it appears to be pretty good. I recall being pretty devastated (as much as one can be over a theme park ride, LOL!) when Disney rushed to re-theme the Hollywood ToT in Disney Calif Adventure. This was a beloved ride and Disney has boatloads of money so why not create an original attraction instead? I think they did what they did for two reasons (and this is just me talking, not borne out by any facts/research beyond the obvious). 1. They wanted to bring an attraction online in time for the GOTG, V2 premiere. And 2. They are severely space-challenged in Anaheim. I was angry when I heard what they were doing...but then I rode the ride. While the exterior theming is kinda dumb (still looks like ToT, but with lots of color and "futuristic" piping added), the interior theming (patterned after The Collector's place (from the first film) is cool with lots of the Collector's possessions on display. You encounter multiple animatronic Rocket characters (in the indoor portion of the queue and again in the chamber prior to entering the elevator boarding area). The idea is that the Guardians have become part of the collection and the guests are helping them to escape (hence the ride title, GOTG, Mission Breakout). The elevators themselves have been completely reporgrammed. The ride is longer with more lifts and drops and pauses in different areas where you see video clips of the Guardians working their escape plan. So there is a lot more eye candy, AND, you do not experience the exact same thing each time you ride (think Star Tours 2.0). I think different elevators show you different clips. I could be wrong here, but I have ridden several times and think this is the case. So I have to say that rides can be improved. In the case of SM, I'm sure the replacement will be fine, but I still think it's at least partly motivated by Disney's desire to be PC.

Disgruntled Walt

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
My first time on Splash Mountain, I was in WDW at 8 years old in 2005. I was so excited, I ran through the line (it was nighttime) with my family struggling to keep pace with me. I didn't want to get wet, so my mom and I sat in the back row. There were no lapbars yet. I loved the first half, but by the time I got to the Laughing Place, I was starting to chicken out again. I remember burying my face in my mom's arms during the big drop, and then as soon as we were down the drop, I said, "That was it?!" The drop was over so quickly I couldn't believe it. Ever since then, I was a Splash devotee. But interestingly enough, I never went on it in the daytime in WDW.

Anyone else have any interesting stories about their "first splash?"

Leighcat

Loved this ride so much and so gutted its gone. I know the new ride will be the same but with different theming...or will it?
We go next August so i hope its open by then but im not holding my breath which is a shame,.

TomboyJanet

I'm working on a soundtrack mix of the ride to listen to in the event that TBA is as disappointing as I expect. Again I wanna add that it's not coming from my hate of the Splash Mountain Closure, but rather my dislike for these "Meet and greet" Rides they keep making. The Avatar one is at least unique because of it's hypnotic soundtrack, stunning visuals, and advanced Shaman Animatronic but the Frozen Ride has no plot whatsoever. I mean I enjoy it but it could be soo much better, (Elsa saving us from a waterfall? WHY NOT!!? Instead she throws us over one!)

But anywho, I wanna make the soundtrack match up to what you'd here if you were riding, so it would have to have shortened clips of each segment of the songs to keep up with the boat's speed. Then I could just close my eyes or use my IMAAAAAAGINAAAAATION (ok don't get me started on that ride!!!).

Thankfully I got to ride Disney World's Splash in October, and Disneyland's Splash three months ago, and was able to create fresh memories, oversaturate with re-rides, and film as much as possible.

There are certain things I will always miss, the squeaky vocals that were really cute and cool in that setting, the maniacal laughter, the spooky and very well done drop anticipation scene with the vultures, The "WEE WAH WOO WOOHOOHOO FSU!!!" gophers/weasels/groundhogs or whatever they were, the big celebration, the goofiness of Brer Fox's eyes, The country twang, The wacky outfits, The Swamp Boys, The hitchhiking alligator in Cali, (I wanna be a laughin' alligator, I wanna be a smiling crocodile! I wanna be a friend to all the critters, might as well take me along!), the funny southern writing, The down home feeling, and THAT ADORABLE GIGGLING BRER RABBIT ANIMATRONIC in Cali!!
Giggling Brer.jpg

THAT WAS JUST SO CUTE!

It just felt like you were in a really fun cartoon antic filled adventure, with Brer Rabbit, the original Bugs Bunny (I'm sure he was inspired by the books),

There was always a feel that Brer Rabbit played a prank not only on his nemesis' but you as well by getting you all wet! Especially when you fell into the laughing place. That one drop that mimicked a bunny hop seemed to follow Brer Rabbit hopping along after Brer Fox/Bear fell into the bee cave, that was the wettest drop for some reason. It would dump buckets of water if you were in the front row. ESPECIALLY in Anaheim! I don't see it having the same context in the new ride. What are they gonna do "Woops we tripped?" Lame! Sorry I just had to get that in there.

I have many fond memories of the ride including tricking my brother into riding it by telling him he could get off before the drop, (tee hee that was worthy of Brer Rabbit himself! He would be proud!) And the time I thought I was falling out when really It was just a bit of airtime.

I hope that the new ride surprises me though. It has the potential (not the likelihood) of restoring my faith in the abilities of the Imagineers. I have a feeling that Baxter is the reason new songs and characters are being introduced because that feels old school Disney, like the CBJ or how Splash Mt Rewrote the stories and lyrics to adapt it for a totally different experience. Like I said before it bugs me that the drop seems to have no sense of danger only happy sappy ness, which ruins the feel. It's the issue that I had with the Guardians tower, how it took all the scary out and made you forget there were drops. Somehow I managed to enjoy it but not as much as Tower. That may be the case here. But for Splash Mountain where I can't just go across the country and ride the original anymore, I have to expect more to fill the gap. So far I've been disappointed with the replacements for Great Movie Ride, Maelstrom, Snow White (it's not even a ride!!), RNRC Paris (though all I needed was a video, I'm good), Backlot Tour Paris (same), Imagination, and California Screamin'. Why would I expect anything different this time?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom