Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

Ignohippo

I remember you mentioning this project as having fallen through probably in a post about 6+ months ago, which confused me seeing as IMG Worlds of Adventure is very much under construction and very much still referencing Marvel.

"The 350,000 sq. ft. MARVEL Zone will offer a range of key entertainment experiences from renowned Super Hero Icons such as; Spider-Man, The Hulk, Iron Man, Thor and The Avengers. The MARVEL Zone will also feature unique retail outlets and dining facilities. The MARVEL name and characters have been licensed to the Ilyas & Mustafa Galadari Group by MARVEL Entertainment."

img-worlds-of-adventure-135.jpg

img-worlds-of-adventure-127.jpg

img-worlds-of-adventure-121.jpg

Dubai projects are totally unreliable... but this one is actually happening.

That isn't it. There was a Marvel theme park that was announced for Dubai, renderings shown and then cancelled.

djlaosc

I haven't heard anything too recently about it, but they are suppose to be making a big thunder mountain tv show that is suppose to air next fall 2014 / spring 2015...

"Big Thunder" was in consideration for the 2013-2014 season (the current season - Sept 2013 - May 2014), but the pilot was passed on on/before 10th May 2013 - that's why you haven't heard much about it recently - the project has been dead for nearly a year.

tissandtully

So I know we were talking about Bryan Singer and creepers in the Walt Disney Company. But this disturbing article was brought to my attention:

Adult bronie tries to abduct a 11 yr old girl at Bronie Convention
http://brigidkeely.tumblr.com/post/83523795392/a-word-about-bronies-massive-content-notice-for

Adult brony tries to aduct a 11 yr old girl at a Brony Convention in San Francisco. Lots of guys in fedoras. Also, guys selling inappropriate fanart and bodypillows.

I know cons now have harassment policies, but do they have extensive CCTV to catch people out for doing such activities to confirm reporting to security or police? I'm not sure how the fanart was even allowed to be sold there? Also, is Disney concerned this might happen at a Disney convention or do they feel their fans are well adjusted wholesome individuals?

That's bound to happen with any sort of fan community gathering, I don't think it's because he was a Bronie. There's a decent doc on Netflix about the Bronie phenomenon, worth a watch if you'd like to get your head around it. Too many kids being bullied and even some trying to kill themselves due to said bullying just because they like a cartoon that happens to have horses that are "girl colors". There needs to less concern about standard gender roles nowadays, just you know don't abduct people and we'll all be fine.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So I know we were talking about Bryan Singer and creepers in the Walt Disney Company. But this disturbing article was brought to my attention:

http://brigidkeely.tumblr.com/post/83523795392/a-word-about-bronies-massive-content-notice-for

That story is so full of 'are you kidding me?' moments. It's tumblr... I should have known better than to click.

Case in point.. if a minor comes to you and tells you she's running from a attempted abduction... you don't let it slide because the 11yr old is too scared to confront someone. You find the parents or the police. End of story. The rest is just more f'd in the head stuff.

yeti

To me, that spells 'a person with an open, critical mind not interested in picking silly 'sides''.

"Sides" don't exist except for the people who insist on not joining them.

I admire @KevinYee a lot and avidly read every one of his articles. But I feel like his emotions get in the way of and sidetrack his writing on occasion. And yes, I get that they're opinion pieces.

Tod&BigMamaOdie

I have friends that also do that sort of thing. The pay is very low
I guess it depends on the media channel that the content will be shown. For commercial still photography, my experience has been $1,200 day rate, $1,500 buyout (in perpetuity) + agency fee, which is generally 20%. I don't know much about the rate that the agency fee charges the model for their services, but I'm sure they take a cut from that $2,700... For broadcast spots, the rates (again in my experience) have been higher than print. and for web videos, we have had lower rates. I guess it all varies and can be negotiated.

ETA - There have also been times on location shoots that we have street cast, paying lesser dollar figures to people willing to be in the images.

Not disagreeing with you, just sharing what little I know.

Last edited:

WildcatDen

You find the parents or the police.
Totally off topic and yet similar. We were standing outside POC the week of 3/30 when a little boy came out crying and talking to himself. We looked around to see if any parents were looking for him and did not see any. I think the boy was probably 8 to 10 years old or so. He seemed real upset and, of course, not sure what to do. Without rushing up to him and scaring him more, I approached him and asked him if we was lost? He shook his head yes. I then asked where his parents were the store last time he saw them. He again shook his head. While my wife and daughter waited with him, I went in to the POC store and talked to a cast member. He told me to bring the kid in to him and he would get security. It was scary because there was a good size crowd there and the boy seemed really shook up. By the time we checked a few ride times and came back, the Cast member said his dad came and collected him. Happy Ending but unnerving at the same time.

PhotoDave219

In a pure ideal world... yes

But we all know the game isn't played on this academic level. It's played at the 'who do I like, who do I not, who am I looking to reach...'

The gatekeepers at each organization get to play whatever games they want. In the 'online only' world, things are so much more disjointed and unorganized, a company doesn't have to worry as much about playing favorites or blacklists.. like they would with traditional media.

Ideally yes. People play petty games, yes.... And that's because they're petty. You and I both know that true professionals don't do that.

The people who play those games aren't taken seriously... Which is probably why changes were made in Celebration.

PhotoDave219

I guess it depends on the media channel that the content will be shown. For commercial still photography, my experience has been $1,200 day rate, $1,500 buyout (in perpetuity) + agency fee, which is generally 20%. I don't know much about the rate that the agency fee charges the model for their services, but I'm sure they take a cut from that $2,700... For broadcast spots, the rates (again in my experience) have been higher than print. and for web videos, we have had lower rates. I guess it all varies and can be negotiated.

ETA - There have also been times on location shoots that we have street cast, paying lesser dollar figures to people willing to be in the images.

Not disagreeing with you, just sharing what little I know.

In the real world for high-end work, that goes with what I've heard.

truecoat

Adult brony tries to aduct a 11 yr old girl at a Brony Convention in San Francisco. Lots of guys in fedoras. Also, guys selling inappropriate fanart and bodypillows.

I know cons now have harassment policies, but do they have extensive CCTV to catch people out for doing such activities to confirm reporting to security or police? I'm not sure how the fanart was even allowed to be sold there? Also, is Disney concerned this might happen at a Disney convention or do they feel their fans are well adjusted wholesome individuals?

Anything that attracts kids will attract these guys. They use any advantage they can to gain the trust of their target so it's not surprising.

Cesar R M

That story is so full of 'are you kidding me?' moments. It's tumblr... I should have known better than to click.

Case in point.. if a minor comes to you and tells you she's running from a attempted abduction... you don't let it slide because the 11yr old is too scared to confront someone. You find the parents or the police. End of story. The rest is just more f'd in the head stuff.

It depends your point of view.
But you can easily read some very creeptastic things that bronies post online.
they love to spread and shove their opinions on you.. and if you tell them to GT*O.. they demand you to respect them and accept them.

I honestly Think Bronies are the worst thing that can drop from the Furry subgroup.

Captain Neo

Sadly I don't think the police would be able to do much in this situation as no crime was actually committed just the girl alleging that some guy was bothering her. At best the cops could confront the guy and maybe get him kicked out of the convention and take the girl back to her parents.

CDavid

Their dataset was the response from 1005 online users so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Whether they should be worried or not really depends on how these numbers compare to previous years, which I don't see addressed in that article.

Exactly - Not everyone ever takes a summer vacation, so whether this is good or bad news depends on previous year numbers. In this case the source also seems questionable.

A quick look found an Orbitz survey from last year:
http://press.orbitz.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=251693&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1813482&highlight

But those numbers are also probably unreliable (not that an online travel booking site would be biased or anything), primarily because I don't for a second think the numbers have shrank from 77% last year to just 15% in 2014. If there was a dramatic downturn in summer travel plans for Walt Disney World, they would have realized it already from a drop in (several months out) resort reservations. Of course, Disney deluxe resort bookings are indeed down significantly, but there are other factors at play there (most importantly, pricing people out of the market).

There is also the question of just how the surveys define 'vacation'. Many people take multiple shorter trips, even to Disney, and if they count anything below 7+ days as a long weekend it affects the survey results but not the reality of travel plans. Indeed, poorly executed surveys have the habit of trending toward whatever result you are looking for based on how the survey instrument is constructed and what sample of persons is surveyed. These aren't scientific survey results by any definition.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Sadly I don't think the police would be able to do much in this situation as no crime was actually committed just the girl alleging that some guy was bothering her. At best the cops could confront the guy and maybe get him kicked out of the convention and take the girl back to her parents.

Uhh.. if a kid makes an accusation that an adult physically tried to abduct her... they would take them into questioning on that alone. Again, the story is so full of crazy stuff I don't put much weight into it. Moral of the story... don't use tumblr.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom