Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

MerlinTheGoat

While I think the projected faces on these figures look pretty good as far as projections go, some of the more recent and advanced physical face technology is hardly at any sort of disadvantage compared to projection tech. This Abraham Lincoln animatronic head in particular from D23 last year shows a major advancement they've made to facial features recently (it looks rather stunning)-

I think there are two key reasons the Dwarf faces look better than Buzz. First of all as stated- the lighting. These figures are no doubt going to be in a low-lit dark ride type environment. Likely very low show lighting just with the glow of the gemstones for other sources, compared to Buzz's (IMO) too-bright lighting. The other reason I think they look better is that the designers seem to have put more effort in sculpting the physical features of the faces to project on. They have actual physical noses and distinct cheek bones to their heads. Buzz's face seems much flatter of a surface and the projection just doesn't look as natural. The same problem I feel is also true of the current bride in Haunted Mansion, when her projected face is off it shows that the underlying head model is just a flat surface. This affects the projection and makes it look flat and fake. I can't find a picture at the moment, but I remember seeing a shot of the bride with the projection off, and underneath looked like a blank flat surface (there may not have been any physical features at all).

On the other hand though (and somewhat ironically), the now MANY decades old projected heads of Haunted Mansion including Leota and the graveyard busts STILL look surprisingly great even today. Again I believe one key reason is because underneath they made far more of an attempt to sculpt the physical facial features into the surface of the busts. So when the projection is mapped to the surface, it looks much more natural and 3-dimensional. You can see what i'm talking about in these pictures where the projections are off (either that or the lighting is too bright to see the projection) and you can see the underlying features of the busts-
Cus10003.JPG

EDIT- Second image was broken, go to the bottom of this page to see it-
http://www.doombuggies.com/phantom2.php

Projected faces can be hit or miss (this is also true of off looking AA's such as Ariel, but that is the fault of the artists, not the tech itself, an all around well designed AA always looks great IMO). It's highly dependent on lighting and the underlying physical surface that is being projected on. AND of course maintenance, which is usually where WDW in particular flops like a fish. WDW I shouldn't need to say has an ABYSMAL track record, ESPECIALLY with projector maintenance nowadays. Projection effects are arguably even less cared for than physical elements. Soarin has looked awful for years now with no improvement in sight, and even still great attractions such as American Adventure have issues with the projected effects (the shaking, blur and artifacts are very distracting). Not to mention the hit or miss nature of other projected AA's in the rest of FLE such as the wardrobe, Lumiere and the magic rose. And of course POTC's Blackbeard/Davy Jones was allowed to rot for a ridiculous amount of time before anything was done about it. There's a lot to be concerned about here.

Sad though it may be, there ARE people out there who won't be able to tell when something is broken in an animatronic (especially on moving rides, cough yeti cough). Perhaps because they just don't know it's even supposed to move for instance. But there's probably not a reasonably well sighted person in existence who wouldn't double take at a faceless/mouthless dwarf AA. When facial projections aren't working, it's immediately obvious that things are very wrong. Non working versions of these figures are going to be even more difficult to cover up than plopping a themed scrim over the top of a piece of furniture. Unless they want to drop a burlap sack on their heads and pretend the dwarfs are redneck serial killers...

In an ideal maintenance situation, i might place the dwarf facial projections as close in quality to the old Haunted Mansion heads (more cartoony of course, but the quality of the effect is what i'm referring to), rather than the newer worse projections they used for the bride or Buzz. IMHO anyways. Except perhaps for something I can't quite put my finger on with the Dopey figure (and no it's not because he has diamonds stuck on his eyes). He may look better when you actual ride (really, projections look far better in person than when they're shot on video, recording video screens ruins their quality), but there's something that seems a bit off about him in the video. The other figures' faces actually look good IMO though. Again though I like projections more when they are used conservatively, as more of a side show element in a bigger E ticket attraction. Something to fill the gaps between the animatronics instead of being an integral part of the actual centerpiece figures and sets. I think Haunted Mansion in its original form did this well, along with all four classic Future World E tickets. They had a few projected elements, but they were never the center of attention.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Absolutely agree. And I withhold all judgment until I ride. That said, the tech isn't cutting edge, which was what my point was. No, it doesn't have to be if it works and I don't look and say 'Wow, that looks cheap!'

Disney keeps iterating the technology... we went from the crystal ball in the HM on the table decades ago... to the micro luminre in Belle's cottage. The implementation in RSR is extremely impressive.. blending physical and projection quite smoothly. The video Disney posted looked very impressive. Quite nice looking AA figures combined with the projection faces that looked very seemless and effective.

For 'withholding judgement' - your earlier post was pretty judgemental

TalkingHead

As to ranking FJ, that's just a subjective thing. It's a favorite of mine, but not top five. But I realize it is the cutting edge bar of what can be done today (at least leaving out Mystic Manor, which I haven't experienced yet).

Which is why I don't understand the mindset of lamenting what Forbidden Journey could've been. It's an impressive attraction to the vast majority of visitors. Saying that it could've used more physical sets (not that you said it) seems like a moot point -- it's like arguing that Citizen Kane could've been better. Maybe it could've been, but it's a masterpiece just the same.

I know the dwarf AAs are the greatest thing ever, but several of them look creepy in the video. Dopey especially. Looks like a midget in a Halloween costume. Not a funny midget, either.

tirian

It doesn't seem all that long ago that I was paying half of that at the Lodges with an AP or FL RES rate and less with a CM rate. Other than with concierge, I have never paid more than $200 a night for a standard room at WDW. I doubt I ever will.
I remember getting MK view at the Polynesian for around $120/night. The current CM discount is $300. I can stay at a Ritz for that rate.

the.dreamfinder

It absolutely makes you wonder if there is any accountability by the folks in Disney Social Media whatsoever. If Dr. Blondie, Crazy Gary, Bland Tommy and Co ever get called in (or actually, Leanne J., who they report to) and asked to explain why Blogger 456 is so important that she and her family of five get flown from Omaha to Anaheim for five days at the DLH.

It also makes you wonder, seriously, why they haven't come to someone like ... well, me and simply offered a consulting contract that requires me to not post a damn thing unless they ask. They'd rather sit back and see what kind of damage I can do (and 75% of my stuff never comes close to being posted here) when I'd love to be part of the solution. And they know all about me ... some on quite a personal level. I have no idea why @ParentsOf4 hasn't been pulled off this site and into a contract of his own as he presents everything with cold, hard numbers and, as far as I know, Georgie K doesn't have personal animus toward him (maybe Meg can't stand him or his wife insulted Phil Holmes once about his teeth?) I do chalk it all up to arrogance, ignorance and petulance.

Quite welcome. ... Yeah, those little Blog Whorefests are nothing. They invite a small amount of local defectives and spend very little on them (the Grill meet was probably pricey by those standards, most are more like a free movie with a piece of crap swag thrown in) ... the next thing to watch will be Disney's media event for summer/Dwarfs coaster/new parade/DVC expansion that is happening in three weeks. That type of event will draw folks from all over the world and is easily an eight-figure spend.
Could you tell us more about Leanne J.? Does she report Zenia or someone else? Is she responsible for the creation of Disney's current approach to SM or is she just executing a script from SM consultants?

truecoat

I will answer but this is my last contribution to any thread you start as you and others object to any challenge to your pov and that causes headaches for the mods. Anyone who challenges you gets reported. I am sure you do not approve of such cheap tactics but it is what it is.

You have never seen me defend the nextgen tech. I have since begun to believe there is much more to it than what is advertised. Some good, some out of necessity and some bad. My only hope is that it eventually leads to some cool applications. It does has potential for that but it would have been nice to see that money go into the parks.

It is easy to throw stones but it is clear to me you only present one side of the story from a subjective pov as do many here. I see progress. Systematic, deliberate, objective progress. Of course I would rather see things happen at the same pace but NO business sector grows at the same rate. And TWDC has other priorities now.

Remember when Lee claimed there were serious discussions of breaking up WDW? Seems they managed to dodge that bullet while spending literally billions on infrastructure. Nextgen tech is largely to do with infrastructure needs IMO. These are the necessary aspects of something as complex as WDW. They are not optional. Now it appears to me WDW has managed those challenges. I believe the future is quite bright.

That they are plowing a lot of money into crowd control, which has to be in place BEFORE they are needed is a strong indicator. See the new hub, MSUSA reconfig, new ferry transit docks and nextgen's ability to control crowds and you have a leading indicator of what the future holds. You disagree. Time will tell.

If you presented a more objective take I would not consider your content misleading.

Steve wants me to leave your threads. My pleasure.

It has been fun but I will post only in the fun threads. :joyfull:

~adios~

I thought the extra boat dock was so they could shorten the monorails operating schedule.

truecoat

Projected faces yes (for what it's worth I will admit that besides perhaps something being off about Dopey, the projected faces actually look surprisingly decent for what they are despite my general dislike of projected faces), but no the figures aren't static. By static, i'm assuming you mean no motion at all like a few of the original Snow White ride's figures. They aren't ridiculously groundbreaking animatronic figures by any stretch of the imagination like what some lying morons here were and are claiming. They don't come close to touching Hunny Hunt's figures or other good AA's in other classic E Ticket Disney rides (or even something like Ursula from Little Mermaid). But they're most definitely a step above the original Snow White ride's few moving figures in terms of their physical movement.

Give the video a watch if you've a spare 25 seconds or so. Any way you look at them, they're not "static" figures like many of the old Snow White ride's characters were (and they've also got substantially smoother and better motion than the figures that DID move in the original ride). Here's a version of the video that someone re-edited with the actual movie's music (the official video on the Disney site has crappy music not from the movie and i'm sure you don't want to give their official sites any extra hits by watching it on their youtube channel anyways)-

It appears Dopey has diamonds on his eyes. That's why they look so weird.

Last edited:

choco choco

Projected faces can be hit or miss (this is also true of AA's such as Ariel, but that is on the heads of the artists, not the tech itself, a good well crafted AA always looks great IMO).

It's kind of not fair to compare AA's from hand drawn characters to CGI characters. Hand-animated characters are notoriously hard to make AA's out of. It's why the figures in DL's dark rides have all been rather static and most of them still look kinda hokey. It's just really hard to transfer a two-dimensional hand drawn character into three dimensions. Attractions can try to avoid the problem by using painted flats (a la Mr. Toad's) and why not; even with Ariel it just shows they haven't really solved the problem.

I'm hoping the projected faces can much better assimilate the squash and stretch that animation needs - although it may be limited to faces (the bulging cheeks on Grumpy from that video is particularly impressive).

For CGI, the character is already in 3-dimensions and you can pull from the model quite easily. They also haven't really tried squash and stretch on AA's from CGI characters yet either. The Buzz and Potato Head AA's are meant to be plastic and not deformable (the rigidness of plastic is the reason why Pixar went with toys as the subject of their first movie, as computer technology at the time couldn't handle anything else). The Cars characters are the same, they are rigid bodies that aren't deformable, so it's understandable that AA's for them could come out pretty well.

Really the best AA from a traditionally animated character I can think of is Scuttle from the new Mermaid rides. Pooh has never really gotten there either. Hunny Hunt went with the rather realistic looking stuffed bear version rather than the cartoony look.

So doing an AA of an animated character is a totally different beast from doing a figure that is supposed to be real looking. Although I do wonder if Disney is ever again going to do an attraction with life-like realistic human AA's. Those are the shining glories of the technology, and I'm bummed nothing new using them has come out in a long time.

MerlinTheGoat

It appears Dopey has diamonds on his eyes. That's why they look so weird.
I'm well aware of the diamonds. There's still something off about him. I think the rest of the dwarfs look like their movie counterparts and quite good, but comparing the clip of Dopey in the movie where he has diamonds on his eyes, something looks off...
Dopey.jpg

I think it's actually the mouth, Dopey always has that dumb look on his face as seen above with his wide silly smile.

Magenta Panther

While I think the projected faces on these figures look pretty good as far as projections go, some of the more recent and advanced physical face technology is hardly at any sort of disadvantage compared to projection tech. This Abraham Lincoln animatronic head in particular from D23 last year shows a major advancement they've made to facial features recently (it looks rather stunning)-

I think there are two key reasons the Dwarf faces look better than Buzz. First of all as stated- the lighting. These figures are no doubt going to be in a low-lit dark ride type environment. Likely very low show lighting just with the glow of the gemstones for other sources, compared to Buzz's (IMO) too-bright lighting. The other reason I think they look better is that the designers seem to have put more effort in sculpting the physical features of the faces to project on. They have actual physical noses and distinct cheek bones to their heads. Buzz's face seems much flatter of a surface and the projection just doesn't look as natural. The same problem I feel is also true of the current bride in Haunted Mansion, when her projected face is off it shows that the underlying head model is just a flat surface. This affects the projection and makes it look flat and fake. I can't find a picture at the moment, but I remember seeing a shot of the bride with the projection off, and underneath looked like a blank flat surface (there may not have been any physical features at all).

On the other hand though (and somewhat ironically), the now MANY decades old projected heads of Haunted Mansion including Leota and the graveyard busts STILL look surprisingly great even today. Again I believe one key reason is because underneath they made far more of an attempt to sculpt the physical facial features into the surface of the busts. So when the projected is mapped to the surface, it looks much more natural and more 3-dimensional. You can see what i'm talking about in these pictures where the projections are off and you can see the underlying features of the busts (or are otherwise too faded to see)-
Cus10003.JPG

EDIT- Second image was broken, go to the bottom of this page to see it-
http://www.doombuggies.com/phantom2.php

Projected faces can be hit or miss (this is also true of AA's such as Ariel, but that is on the heads of the artists, not the tech itself, a good well crafted AA always looks great IMO). It's highly dependent on lighting and the underlying physical surface that is being projected on. AND of course maintenance, which is usually where WDW in particular flops like a fish. WDW I shouldn't need to say has an ABYSMAL track record, ESPECIALLY with projector maintenance nowadays. Projection effects are arguably even less cared for than physical elements. Soarin has looked awful for years now with no improvement in sight, and even still great attractions such as American Adventure have issues with the projected effects (the shaking, blur and artifacts are very distracting). Not to mention the hit or miss nature of other projected AA's in the rest of FLE such as the wardrobe, Lumiere and the magic rose. And of course POTC's Blackbeard/Davy Jones was allowed to rot for a ridiculous amount of time before anything was done about it. There's a lot to be concerned about here.

Sad though it may be, there ARE people out there who won't be able to tell when something is broken in an animatronic (especially on moving rides, cough yeti cough). Perhaps because they just don't know it's even supposed to move for instance. But there's probably not a reasonably well sighted person in existence who wouldn't double take a faceless and mouthless dwarf figure, when facial projections aren't working then it's immediately obvious that things are very wrong (and these figures are going to be even more difficult to cover up than plopping a themed scrim over the top of a piece of furniture, unless they want to drop a burlap sack on their heads and pretend the dwarfs are redneck serial killers)...

In an ideal maintenance situation, i might place the dwarf facial projections as close in quality to the old Haunted Mansion heads, rather than the newer worse projections they used for the bride or Buzz. IMHO anyways. Except perhaps for something I can't quite put my finger on with the Dopey figure (and no it's not because he has diamonds stuck on his eyes). He may look better when you actual ride (really, projections look far better in person than when they're shot on video, recording these effects ruins their quality), but there's something that seems a bit off about him in the video. The other figures' faces actually look good IMO though. Again though I like projections more when they are used conservatively, as more of a side show element in a bigger E ticket attraction. Something to fill the gaps between the animatronics instead of being an integral part of the actual centerpiece figures and sets. I think Haunted Mansion in its original form did this well, along with all four classic Future World E tickets. They had a few projected elements, but they were never the center of attention.

Speaking of Dopey...I hope the Imagineers don't actually have him singing, like the other Dwarfs. It kind of looked like he was in that video...but..Dopey doesn't speak! It's not that he can't speak - "he never tried!"

MerlinTheGoat

It's kind of not fair to compare AA's from hand drawn characters to CGI characters. Hand-animated characters are notoriously hard to make AA's out of. It's why the figures in DL's dark rides have all been rather static and most of them still look kinda hokey. It's just really hard to transfer a two-dimensional hand drawn character into three dimensions. Attractions can try to avoid the problem by using painted flats (a la Mr. Toad's) and why not; even with Ariel it just shows they haven't really solved the problem.

I'm hoping the projected faces can much better assimilate the squash and stretch that animation needs - although it may be limited to faces (the bulging cheeks on Grumpy from that video is particularly impressive).

For CGI, the character is already in 3-dimensions and you can pull from the model quite easily. They also haven't really tried squash and stretch on AA's from CGI characters yet either. The Buzz and Potato Head AA's are meant to be plastic and not deformable (the rigidness of plastic is the reason why Pixar went with toys as the subject of their first movie, as computer technology at the time couldn't handle anything else). The Cars characters are the same, they are rigid bodies that aren't deformable, so it's understandable that AA's for them could come out pretty well.

Really the best AA from a traditionally animated character I can think of is Scuttle from the new Mermaid rides. Pooh has never really gotten there either. Hunny Hunt went with the rather realistic looking stuffed bear version rather than the cartoony look.

So doing an AA of an animated character is a totally different beast from doing a figure that is supposed to be real looking. Although I do wonder if Disney is ever again going to do an attraction with life-like realistic human AA's. Those are the shining glories of the technology, and I'm bummed nothing new using them has come out in a long time.
I never even mentioned CGI characters at all. Splash Mountain (WDW and Tokyo's versions that is) were very successful in faithfully converting hand drawn animation to physical AA figures. Figment from the original Imagination ride was also a very cartoony character and converted well to a fully articulated AA. The reason figures in the classic dark rides were generally non moving was because a lot of them were made before Disney began dabbling much with superior animatronic figures (those old rides had far more limited budgets than the bigger E tickets that came after them). Attractions like Carousel of Progress, POTC, and even the Tiki Room were conceived well after Disneyland and its original roster of dark rides ever opened. Carousel of Progress and the Lincoln exhibits were apparently some of the first attractions made that used true animatronics in such an extensive manner, and they were first shown almost 10 years after Disneyland originally opened.

And even still after they began using them more liberally in newer rides, a lot of those classic animatronics heavy attractions created early on took deliberately cartoonish liberties with the way the artists created them. A lot of the figures in Pirates had very silly faces and expressions, looking like they'd be at home with a hand drawn animated film and not realistic at all. The same goes for Haunted Mansion and World of Motion for that matter.
pirateswalt-wr.jpg

wom_used_chariot_salesman.jpg

HM_Disney_Cemetery4.jpg

And more recently, the quite great looking figures in Mystic Manor. It's not out of the realm of possibility to see a well done animatronic conversion of a classic Disney animated character, you just need the right artists behind it (there are still some to be found at Disney but they certainly didn't seem to be involved with Mermaid). Though the shuttering of Disney's in-house animatronics department and outsourcing to Garner Holt doesn't help things either. I would imagine outsourcing them places more limits on the artists as they have to work around more limitations without customizing them to suit their needs.

Also, while I unfortunately never had the opportunity to see it myself in person, the Mickey Mouse Revue IMHO seemed to do a remarkably good job of taking many of these classic hand drawn characters and converting them into a still faithful animatronics form. They were very primitive for the standards set since then (and some of them still weren't perfect conversions), but they've got a lot more motion than classic dark rides had. With the right creatives and artists in charge of things, advanced AA figures can look really great with old hand drawn characters.

Last edited:

Captain Neo

You think that Walt Disney would favor going backwards in building attractions? Kiddie coasters have been done to death. And the AAs on this attraction appear to be static figures with projections (a la Buzz Lightyear). I'm seeing a nice little C-Ticket attraction.

And how much design work do you think Iger and Staggs did on this?

Maybe your fanboi desire to paint me in a bad light is getting the best of you? Iger and Staggs have been awful for WDW ... dreadful ... much worse than say ... Paul Pressler and Michael Eisner.

Design work? None but Staggs gets credit for canceling Rasolu's horrendous meet & greet projects and allocating the money into building a nice C-ticket attraction instead.

I'm not trying painting you in a bad light at all unless you actually are Michael Eisner. In fact I am usually on board with what you have to say.

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

After seven months on YouTube and endless links from her blog, this review video she did for Chevrolet has 59 views. Fifty Nine. That's a five followed immediately by a nine. It's not just Disney doing this, it's apparently something all big American companies are doing. It makes me not want to buy stock in GM or Disney if this is how they are spending their marketing dollars and our nation's resources. 59 views. Scary stuff!

Please keep em' coming. All this laughter is good for the soul. And please, Fadra, with all the freebies you get, do you not have a hairbrush yet? Seriously, if a company like Chevy gives you a nice car and free trip for the weekend could you at least make an effort to not look like you just attended a Phish concert over the weekend before you make your video to promote the car they graciously/stupidly gave you?

I'd also like to add, as you did, that I dont blame these woman for taking the deal Disney gave them, but as '74 said, its on them (the mommies) to deliver now. Thats an excellent point. What can/will they deliver? Look at her video from the "conference". She does NOTHING to promote Disney in any way aside from actually being at DL. Does she report on anything new happening at the park or give a review of an attraction or show, or even exclaim her love for Disney!??? Negative. She seems much more concerned about mentioning the celebrities she is meeting and all the "private reserved" meals that are "just for them".

So..., Disney gives her a chance to take part in an AMAZING weekend that would cost seven figures, and in return they probly expect her to do something to promote the parks in someway, but instead they get an arrogant, narcissistic, mommy that only seems to care about what her and little Evan are doing for the day.

Are her videos helping Disney in any way or just ing off "regular" guests when they see all the swag Disney is throwing at her? I guess that is up to her 4 subscibers to decide.

Last edited:

Captain Neo

This argument that "Screen based rides make more sense because we can't afford to maintain AA's and live sets" is a load of horsesh** if i've ever heard any. Walt Disney built rides with 3x the amount of physical sets, AA's, and live special effects and had them running in peak condition all year round on a FRACTION of the money that the modern Walt Disney Company and Comcast can provide. Hell even Knotts Berry Farm is doing it now with their recently redone Timber Mountain Log Ride and Calico Mine Train. They went in and replaced all the sets and old figures with brand new real sets and modern AA's and Disney and Universal are saying they can't afford it? If that's the case I will take my tourist dollars elsewhere.

Audiences will grow tired of an over saturation of projection based rides very fast. Why bother spending $100 per ticket just to do what you can do at home on a 60' 3D TV you can buy cheap at Costco or play with on your Wii U or PS4? How are they going to be able to justify it 2 years from now when Virtual Reality devices go mainstream? People will stop going if all you have are attractions where you stare at video projections.

TalkingHead

Audiences will grow tired of an over saturation of projection based rides very fast. Why bother spending $100 per ticket just to do what you can do at home on a 60' 3D TV you can buy cheap at Costco or play with on your Wii U or PS4? How are they going to be able to justify it 2 years from now when Virtual Reality devices go mainstream? People will stop going if all you have are attractions where you stare at video projections.

Can your home VR system swing you around like a Kuka arm or in a dark-ride vehicle like Spidey and Transformers?

The only attractions that could come close to being approximated in home theaters would be 3D or Imax films with single screens like Soarin', Simpsons, Despicable Me. Even then, you're not going to experience the synced-up motion at home.

Next Big Thing

Confused_Anya.gif

You circle the entire thing in a monorail, point blank the attraction is viewable from every angle.
Ok, but what we are talking about is two entirely different things. You are talking about "viewable" from all angles. I'm talking about being able to walk around it, which is what the Parks blog claimed. You cannot walk around SSE in it's entirety.

jlsHouston

It doesn't seem all that long ago that I was paying half of that at the Lodges with an AP or FL RES rate and less with a CM rate. Other than with concierge, I have never paid more than $200 a night for a standard room at WDW. I doubt I ever will.
As you allude to, at 430 sq. ft. a Cabana Bay "Family Suite" is more like a room at a Comfort Suites:

View attachment 51228

At 565 sq ft, the Art of Animation Family Suite is larger:

View attachment 51229

However, the two are at very different price points.

For example, this Thanksgiving, an AOA Family Suite is $371/night ($0.66/sq. ft.) whereas an CBR Family Suite is $234/night ($0.54/sq. ft.).

What I really like about Cabana Suite versus AoA : BEDS, two of them, not the pull out or murphy style but real stand alone beds.

TP2000

I also really hope all the Walt Era mannequins are replaced in Anaheim, as seems to have been somewhat the plan. These are definitely superior.

So far, Miceage via the Al Lutz (or his ghost writer now) update is the only one who has talked about rumored updates coming to the five Fantasyland dark rides at Disneyland. And they've been talking about it for over six months now. Most recently, about a month ago, Miceage writers mentioned that the Queen of Hearts in the Alice In Wonderland ride would have a new "projected" face after the current rehab. That comment suddenly makes more sense now that we see the new dwarves.

So apparently that's what's coming to Disneyland's Fantasyland dark rides with this rumored plussing in 2014 and '15. But again, Disney hasn't said a word and the only insider information mentioning this has been the Al Lutz Miceage updates of late.

I said this in the other SDMT thread on the Fantasyland Expansion board here, but I think this new projection-face animatronic effect works nicely. Especially for little cartoon figures like the dwarves, where the audience really has just one point of reference for them as animated cartoon characters. I'm not sure this projected effect would work well for life size humans, especially when the audience has a real point of reference from films or photos for them like Indiana Jones or Captain Jack Sparrow or Abraham Lincoln.

But for smaller cartoon characters like the dwarves, or presumably Peter Pan or Mr. Toad on Pinocchio or the Queen of Hearts later this year at Disneyland, the effect works very well in its dark ride environment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom