Spirited Special II: DHS Guardians Tower Not Dead; DL to Trade Nostalgia For Star Wars Pyro

MerlinTheGoat

Well screw it all. I freakin hate the brains running this company.
I don't think brains are running this company, I think butts are...

Would you rather go back to post Iger? Hopefully the new CO is better and fufills what Disney used to stand for.
That's a very difficult question to answer, I assume you mean pre-Iger (post would be after). On the one hand, Eisner was responsible for a lot of the garbage we're seeing now and allowing Iger and company in power in the first place. Not to mention burning bridges with people who were helping to keep the company producing quality products (Pixar) when Disney's own in-house teams were failing. On the other hand, he produced brilliant projects in the theme parks. There also may have been some signs late in his rule that he realized his mistakes and was starting to take measures to fix them (the cleanup of Disneyland was under his orders, and Expedition Everest was HIS project).

Iger has been almost nothing but mistake after mistake for the parks. The few quality projects under his rule have largely been successful in spite of his influence, rather than a direct result of. It's rather well known for instance that Cars Land was constantly being threatened with cuts and downgrades by execs, John Lasseter was the one that saved the project due to his political leverage within the company. And among even the absolute best attractions built during Iger's reign, Eisner's best projects outclass them all. Eisner was responsible for plenty of garbage that I would never defend (including the horrible destruction of EPCOT), but they also built the likes of Splash Mountain, Great Movie Ride, Indiana Jones, Tower of Terror. And while he had a couple of dud parks, they also built the wonderful Disneyland Paris, Animal Kingdom and Tokyo DisneySea under his influence as well (flaws they have, but these are all some of the most beautiful parks on earth).

I also wanted Eisner out at the time. In hindsight however, I'd give him a couple more years to see if he could rebound from those bad decisions. Or at least until the company could find a better qualified person to take over. I think he could fix the parks, he was even showing signs of doing so. It's the film and animation that is trickier. Animation was busy producing bombs, and Pixar would not be around to keep things together (also creating a new dangerous competitor). So fixing animation from within would take some care and thought. Would have been very interesting though, especially with more bitter competition to motivate them.

Last edited:

Pam Hates Penguins

I'm on my way to Disneyland now as I type this... Kinda want to turn around and go home.

I've had it with Iger, he MUST go. So sick of him. My gosh, really? The idiotic choices just keep coming.

The next time I'm going to Disneyland is in 3 months and 4 weeks. I'm so happy I am going to ride Tower of Terror one more time. I thought when I went earlier this month it would be my last time. :)

dennis-in-ct

I still do not know why Guardian Of The Galaxy matters. Never saw it - vaguely remember hearing about it .. was the movie some huge mega hit that has made some tremendous cultural impact?? I have been living under a rock?

Avatar, I understand the appeal and I am a fan.
Star Wars, I understand the appeal and am a fan.
Guardians Of The Galaxy has zoomed over my head. WHO is the target audience?

The two best attractions at EPCOT were destroyed. Horizons should *never* have been touched. The original Imagination was also amazing. I don't care what happens to Universe of Energy at this point. Let Guardians take over Ellen's Energy Adventure and leave Tower alone. Glad to see WDW might be spared the rework.

I guess I have to watch the Guardians movie. Maybe it's spectacular.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I still do not know why Guardian Of The Galaxy matters. Never saw it - vaguely remember hearing about it .. was the movie some huge mega hit that has made some tremendous cultural impact?? I have been living under a rock?

Avatar, I understand the appeal and I am a fan.
Star Wars, I understand the appeal and am a fan.
Guardians Of The Galaxy has zoomed over my head. WHO is the target audience?

The two best attractions at EPCOT were destroyed. Horizons should *never* have been touched. The original Imagination was also amazing. I don't care what happens to Universe of Energy at this point. Let Guardians take over Ellen's Energy Adventure and leave Tower alone. Glad to see WDW might be spared the rework.

I guess I have to watch the Guardians movie. Maybe it's spectacular.

It did $773 million world wide which is not bad for characters that the general public probably didn't know much about. Personally I thought it was a very entertaining movie and would love to see a ride based on it, just not in Epcot.

No Name

Spirit, I appreciate you sharing the news. I hopefully have many years left in my life, so I look forward to the day when they are not in the midst of making a boneheaded decision.

The main point of confusion for me (and some others based on the comments) is why the DHS GotG ToT invasion is now back on the table. You gave a perfectly clear rationale for why DHS's ToT was saved (thank you George) but no reason for why the ride is in danger again. And why the Energy Pavillion GotG invasion isn't certain as was once thought.

So if you know and could share any reason(s), that would fill the void. Thanks again.

DinoInstitute

I still think if they're gonna shoehorn Guardians of the Galaxy into an existing Florida ride, Rock n Roller Coaster should be the sacrificial lamb.
Considering there's rumors that once SWL opens, Star Tours will close, I think that would be a better place to do a replacement. Would make the most sense at least. Could even make it like a mini superhero land (comparable to the muppet courtyard mini land), with making Commissary Lane like a San Fransokyo street type thing.

Literally just the first idea that came to mind, which seems like it could be fine, and yet The Bobs can't seem to get past the two worst concepts I've ever read here as a legitamate rumor.

DinoInstitute

One thing that really caught me (and I guess scared me) while reading spirit's post was that, the argument to keep ToT seemed to have absolutely nothing to do with its legacy, how it fits into the park and area thematically, etc., but it was all purely numbers based. How these people don't see why it just can't be replaced even if the park had ten times its current capacity in attractions is beyond me.

Chef Kronk

So many words come to mind after reading that the DHS ToT isn't safe. Horrific and Pathetic top the list.

It's getting to become borderline insanity at this point. If you're not going to make a land out of it, there's no point in shoving some crazy IP into an attraction, especially a beloved one like ToT.

Sunset Boulevard is kind of a mish mosh as it is. But if I see that ugly building at the end of the street instead of our beloved tower, I'll be sick to my stomach.

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

Here's a crazy idea - take the guardian ride planned for Epcot and put it in DHS. As a new ride. Building a warehouse for the ride should not be that expensive.
If they are that desperate, why not retheme Indiana Jones and Rockin Roller Coaster with GotG overlays? I can't believe it would be that hard, and you wouldn't destroy half a park (Future World) or a classic (ToT) in the process.

wdwgreek

If its choice between the integrity of epcot and one of the best designed e-tickets I never ride, i choose death. Epcot has already begun being basterdized however i don't think i could bear see them gut tower of tower. Aslo @WDW1974 do you happen to have a list of the total hourly capacities at each park? I'd love to check it out!!!!

doctornick

They're ripping the heart out of the company. Star Wars fireworks at Disneyland indefinitely? That is practically sacrilege. The board has got to realize this is the wrong direction and soon.

While I agree that SW fireworks at DL is a poor fit, it's a decision that can be easily reversed/fixed if it is not received well. It's not some permanent or hard to fix changed like building a new ride/land.

Donaldfan1934

I don't think brains are running this company, I think butts are...

That's a very difficult question to answer, I assume you mean pre-Iger (post would be after). On the one hand, Eisner was responsible for a lot of the garbage we're seeing now and allowing Iger and company in power in the first place. Not to mention burning bridges with people who were helping to keep the company producing quality products (Pixar) when Disney's own in-house teams were failing. On the other hand, he produced brilliant projects in the theme parks. There also may have been some signs late in his rule that he realized his mistakes and was starting to take measures to fix them (the cleanup of Disneyland was under his orders, and Expedition Everest was HIS project).

Iger has been almost nothing but mistake after mistake for the parks. The few quality projects under his rule have largely been successful in spite of his influence, rather than a direct result of. It's rather well known for instance that Cars Land was constantly being threatened with cuts and downgrades by execs, John Lasseter was the one that saved the project due to his political leverage within the company. And among even the absolute best attractions built during Iger's reign, Eisner's best projects outclass them all. Eisner was responsible for plenty of garbage that I would never defend (including the horrible destruction of EPCOT), but they also built the likes of Splash Mountain, Great Movie Ride, Indiana Jones, Tower of Terror. And while he had a couple of dud parks, they also built the wonderful Disneyland Paris, Animal Kingdom and Tokyo DisneySea under his influence as well (flaws they have, but these are all some of the most beautiful parks on earth).

I also wanted Eisner out at the time. In hindsight however, I'd give him a couple more years to see if he could rebound from those bad decisions. Or at least until the company could find a better qualified person to take over. I think he could fix the parks, he was even showing signs of doing so. It's the film and animation that is trickier. Animation was busy producing bombs, and Pixar would not be around to keep things together (also creating a new dangerous competitor). So fixing animation from within would take some care and thought. Would have been very interesting though, especially with more bitter competition to motivate them.
Flawless summary of Eisner's tenure. Although personally speaking, I will say Cars land definitely lives up to the best of the Eisner era. Mystic Manor seems to as well just judging by the videos.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom