Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animaniac93-98

This is why I think Paradise Pier 1.0 makes more sense that Paradise Pier 1.7. The original was supposed to be some sort of homage to seaside piers. Paradise Pier 1.0 lacked a strong direction, was undercut in its financing but essentially had to be included because the seaside pier project had existed for years as a pet idea of Eisner's that had yet to materialize with the idea showing up previously as part of plans for at the Boardwalk, Port Disney and Disney's America. Paradise Pier 1.7 however is this really bizarre hypothetical of "What if Disney built an amusement park?" across the street from where Disney actually did build an amusement park. We know the answer to "What if Disney built and amusement park?" and it looked nothing like Paradise Pier in any form.

I thought 1.7 was the same homage, but with a budget and a period setting.

Too bad the money still isn't there to go all out and make the Pier exist in the same universe and quality as DLP's Main Street.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I just think that symbolically, recreating the amusement parks that Walt vehemently disliked, even if it is a clean, and pretty, and idealized version, it still just doesn't mesh for me with the legacy of the man. Isn't that part of the reason we dislike Dinoland (although Dinoland is admittedly way tackier)?

Again, because you are working off incorrect assumptions. It's a common misconception that Disney didn't like circus stuff because of the references to trying to make DL something different from the type of amusement venue that people knew at the time.
You can read a little about the circus that was in DL right from the start at daveland
http://davelandweb.com/mmcc/#holidayland

Checkout a little about Holidayland here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holidayland_(Disneyland) and http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/300/holidayland1hg7.jpg/ (and btw, holidayland had beer flowing!!)

There is alot more descriptions in the various published books on Disney and Disneyland.

There was also a circus setup as one of the celebrations in the park after the first Mickey Mouse Club Circus was wrapped up... including a ferris wheel near the hub if I recall.

The original dislike for PP and Dinoland is that the impression that they were done on the cheap.. and hence barren and uninspired. Plus many supposed fans thought mimicing an amusement park seemed counter intuitive for Disney vs building attractions like they had been accustomed to like Splash Mountain, BTMRR, etc.

It's not that Walt didn't like these types of attractions..

lazyboy97o

I was expecting more than a food court.

I was expecting androids dungeon to be more than a bathroom.

I was expecting a themed moe's tavern, beyond a bar with green walls.

I guess the Tangled Toilets set the bar for how simple things should be themed.....
Expectations held by nobody who was paying attention.

I thought 1.7 was the same homage, but with a budget and a period setting.

Too bad the money still isn't there to go all out and make the Pier exist in the same universe and quality as DLP's Main Street.
Except its been populated by Disney character decorations. Or am I missing an homage to the less than scrupulous carney who engages in the unauthorized use of intellectual property?

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Again, because you are working off incorrect assumptions. It's a common misconception that Disney didn't like circus stuff because of the references to trying to make DL something different from the type of amusement venue that people knew at the time.
You can read a little about the circus that was in DL right from the start at daveland
http://davelandweb.com/mmcc/#holidayland

Checkout a little about Holidayland here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holidayland_(Disneyland) and http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/300/holidayland1hg7.jpg/ (and btw, holidayland had beer flowing!!)

There is alot more descriptions in the various published books on Disney and Disneyland.

There was also a circus setup as one of the celebrations in the park after the first Mickey Mouse Club Circus was wrapped up... including a ferris wheel near the hub if I recall.

The original dislike for PP and Dinoland is that the impression that they were done on the cheap.. and hence barren and uninspired. Plus many supposed fans thought mimicing an amusement park seemed counter intuitive for Disney vs building attractions like they had been accustomed to like Splash Mountain, BTMRR, etc.

It's not that Walt didn't like these types of attractions..

Also to add... Walt was all about bringing guests to an experience that exist scarcely in reality or only in film/fantasy. Transporting a guest to a 1920s pristine seaside pier is definitely something that fits that mold.

SirOinksALot

Expectations held by nobody who was paying attention.
I was expecting a food court and I was disappointed with most of the interior. If Universal raised the bar, they didn't get over the new bar height. This is on par with their early, mid-2000's work at best. Improvement over what was there, but not deserving of extensive praise.

I was also expecting Android's Dungeon to be a facade, but I didn't expect that the restroom/FFB entrance theming would be at home in a Six Flags.

stlphil

agree. DAK is underappreciated because its not what people see as a typical "theme park''. If it don't have rides, it can't be any fun.
DAK can be pretty polarizing. I understand the viewpoint of those who love it, but the emphasis on animal exhibits and trails, although well done, makes it seem too much like a zoo. And my town has one of the best zoos in the country, including some highly themed trails and exhibits. But it doesn't cost $92, or even a MYW $50 for the day. Admission is zero, nada, zilch, so it's hard for me to get enthused about paying those amounts for DAK, with its small number of rides with broken effects.

One other point on MYW tickets. To me it takes incredible gall to provide 2 half-day parks, and then charge as much as they do for the "privilege" of park hopping. No thanks. We haven't added the park hopping option in many years. On the other hand, at Disneyland park hopping makes good sense.

Okay, one more point while I'm on a roll. There is a lot of debate about whether or not DAK is a half day park. But the ultimate authority, Disney themselves, think it is half day park because they only keep it open barely more than half a day during a good chunk of the year (only slight hyperbole).

SirOinksALot

Where's the bar? Tomorrowland Terrace?
On the last page where I wrote: "If Three Brooksticks and BoG are about 9-10 on the theme park fast food scale, I'd put this around a 3 or 4."

Whether it's 3B, or really any of the updated Disney menus, there's at least an effort for quality. Here you get frozen waffles on a chicken sandwich or a $10 basic hamburger.

stevehousse

I thought that the reason the park had such limited hours were because of the animals. The last thing WDW needs is rumors on animals being overworked and abuse type claims???

SirOinksALot

I thought that the reason the park had such limited hours were because of the animals. The last thing WDW needs is rumors on animals being overworked and abuse type claims???
That's just what they tell people. The real reason is that you can go on every ride in about three hours, so there's no reason to keep it open late.

What time does it usually close... 6? It doesn't get dark until 8:30 this time of year.

JT3000

I was expecting more than a food court.

The building had always been home to a food court, so that's your fault.

I was expecting a themed moe's tavern, beyond a bar with green walls.

I guess the Tangled Toilets set the bar for how simple things should be themed.....

A "themed" Moe's Tavern? There must've been some sort of bar raising going on if this is considered unthemed now.

http://360.io/S86dMp

Or you just had unrealistic expectations.

Uncle Walt

That's just what they tell people. The real reason is that you can go on every ride in about three hours, so there's no reason to keep it open late.

What time does it usually close... 6? It doesn't get dark until 8:30 this time of year.
Trying to get a little more Internet cred

disney fan 13

The last time I was here I dropped the avatar plans, sad to say that with a quic service and a gift shop is the extent of that expansion, but Hollywood has a large refurb coming soon and the magic kingdom has a new adventure around the corner. I promise the uppercrust have heard the cries and that things are on the way, DL has a Captain and his crew coming, Hollywood has some monsters from our galaxy and one far away on the way, and the Animal Kingdom has finally found its avatar and its not the one from Cameron, think a continent on earth as the new draw and pandora being the icing . Someone here keeps promoting the panda agenda, it was a strong possibility but not happening. Remember there are a few true believers here, respect them. This is the dawn and soon,very soon the light will be seen. And spirit please eat a fat one, your agenda is getting a little old, you can't ever make CEO with such a poor attitude. Good night and have fun

This should get a interesting response...

Taylor

The last time I was here I dropped the avatar plans, sad to say that with a quic service and a gift shop is the extent of that expansion, but Hollywood has a large refurb coming soon and the magic kingdom has a new adventure around the corner. I promise the uppercrust have heard the cries and that things are on the way, DL has a Captain and his crew coming, Hollywood has some monsters from our galaxy and one far away on the way, and the Animal Kingdom has finally found its avatar and its not the one from Cameron, think a continent on earth as the new draw and pandora being the icing . Someone here keeps promoting the panda agenda, it was a strong possibility but not happening. Remember there are a few true believers here, respect them. This is the dawn and soon,very soon the light will be seen. And spirit please eat a fat one, your agenda is getting a little old, you can't ever make CEO with such a poor attitude. Good night and have fun
Holy .....ake mushrooms. A lot of news in that post

Calvin Coolidge

Well this is interesting.

(I'm not getting the "Captain" reference...is that Jack Sparrow or Steve Rogers or..?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom