Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

I don't think that's necessarily true at all. Yes, it's about Mickey but again, can't exactly have Mickey be the hero if the villains aren't there to oppose him. I haven't exactly seen anyone say they need to "celebrate" the villains. But a bigger presence in the park wouldn't be bad. And rides with them in more prominence would be fun, even if they lose in the end. Heck, if Mr Toad could feature him being sent to hell, maybe you could even get away with a villain winning on one ride.
A Villain land by its very concept is a celebration of the villains. That is different than a greater presence, which would involve the villains residing in their appropriate lands and not being forcibly segregated.

lazyboy97o

Disney already made a Villain centric attraction with Tokyo's Castle Mystery Tour. The proof that an entertaining one could me made, without them winning and the "mash-up" concept, is there.
The Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour was very much a mashup attraction, pulling characters from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and The Black Cauldron. It was also about the guests proving their strength as heroes.

bubbles1812

A Villain land by its very concept is a celebration of the villains. That is different than a greater presence, which would involve the villains residing in their appropriate lands and not being forcibly segregated.
Segregated is quite an odd choice of words. Not like they wouldn't be present elsewhere. Just saying. But I see your point. Though honestly, I would find it refreshing if they did a villain land, and yes, even have the villains win there, though I don't necessarily think they would have to for it be a successful land. It could be geared a little bit towards the older set, who knows that the "celebration" to use your word, is just silly fun. And it's not like a mash up of the good guys, which is featured everywhere at Disney weakens the experience. Don't see why it would with the villains. I think you are thinking too much. But to each their own, I guess.

bubbles1812

The Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour was very much a mashup attraction, pulling characters from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and The Black Cauldron. It was also about the guests proving their strength as heroes.
You missed his point though. The point was that it worked. It was villain centric. They didn't win. It was a mash-up. And it was still a win... Showing that it can be done.

71jason

I still don't get the love of the "Villian land" idea. There is no single place where they all hang out together and the villains tend to show up already.

Uhm, welcome to Fairy Tale Hall, where 16th Century Germany, 18th Century France and 20th Century New Orleans come together... (Down the street from 19th Century England and a circus)

I think using the villains would have been a nice short-hand for "these are big kid rides, take your special snowflakes under 36" over to Dumbo." Again, this was largely an excuse to put up a couple thrill rides if (pre-Potter) IoA started taking away turnstyle clicks.

Also, if you want to see the Disney baddies play well together, two words--"Villains Tonight," on DCL. Most underrated Disney attraction I've ever seen.

MattM

Major blow dished to espn! NBC Sports picks up final 20 races of the season for sprint cup beginning in 2015. NBC Sports picks up final 19 nationwide series races as well. Big big big blow to espn. Like NASCAR or not this is a massive loss for them.

Next up. Fox Sports 1

Not as big a deal as you'd think. With them just having inked a 12 year deal with NCAA/BCS games, NCAA CWS, MLB Sun/Mon/Wed night baseball, SEC/Big12/Longhorn Network, NBA Finals (on ABC provided by ESPN), NBA Wed/Fri night doubleheaders, NFL Monday Night Football, Way too much College Football to list, The Open Championship, Partial Coverage of the Masters, US Open, & Ryder Cup, 2014 World Cup, MLS Game of the week, MLS Cup, Exclusive rights to Wimbledon, Partial coverage of Australian, French and US Opens in tennis.

There are many more. They probably would have liked to have kept it. But its not really a crushing blow.

And I *secretly* love NASCAR.

StageFrenzy

Major blow dished to espn! NBC Sports picks up final 20 races of the season for sprint cup beginning in 2015. NBC Sports picks up final 19 nationwide series races as well. Big big big blow to espn. Like NASCAR or not this is a massive loss for them.

Next up. Fox Sports 1

That's if people can find NBCSN.

Captain Neo

You know I think a villians land instead of "New Fantasyland" would have been FAR more popular with guests but that would require spending money and demolishing their precious TENT land that Disney wants to hold on to for dear life.

doctornick

That's if people can find NBCSN.

Nascar is a pretty big get for NBCSN because it compliments their existing sports properties in terms of diversifying the viewing audience. The strong rural/southern base for Nascar is completely different from the base for the NHL (midwest/new england) and EPL/MLS soccer (younger, urban "hipsters").

Still, overall, NBCSN doesn't have the sheer quantity of live sports that it needs to really compete with ESPN. FS1 has done a much better job at getting properties to fill a lot of air time with live sports.

Travel Junkie

Not as big a deal as you'd think. With them just having inked a 12 year deal with NCAA/BCS games, NCAA CWS, MLB Sun/Mon/Wed night baseball, SEC/Big12/Longhorn Network, NBA Finals (on ABC provided by ESPN), NBA Wed/Fri night doubleheaders, NFL Monday Night Football, Way too much College Football to list, The Open Championship, Partial Coverage of the Masters, US Open, & Ryder Cup, 2014 World Cup, MLS Game of the week, MLS Cup, Exclusive rights to Wimbledon, Partial coverage of Australian, French and US Opens in tennis.

There are many more. They probably would have liked to have kept it. But its not really a crushing blow.

And I *secretly* love NASCAR.

Yeah ESPN is hardly hurting for content right now. The difference between now and years past is ESPN now has to pick their battles where before they could get anything it wanted at good prices. NASCAR is not nearly as important to them as maintaining a presence in Pro Football, College Football, Baseball and Basketball. Losing NASCAR is really not a big deal to them. It's not a sport that drives ratings other than the event itself.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
So races won't be shown on "regular" NBC?

Some will, keep in mind NBC has rights to the big 3 now. Those will have to be juggled. Leaks say the remaining nationwide series races will be on fox sports 1. Word going around France let that slip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom