Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSoxNo1

Copperfield was a mid-nineties flame out project. A little before this timeline I believe.

I thought it was a reskinned TDS Mysterious Island at Animal Kingdom.
You may be right on what the MGM project was, the Great Movie Ride makeover sounds about right for that time. I think Mysterious Island was later, because at the time of planning, they didn't know how much of Lost Continent was based on Beastly Kingdom.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Yep, Great Movie Ride re-do using Military grade "C.A.V.E." technology similar to what is in the Pirate attraction at DisneyQuest

Captain Neo

Why didn't disney green light any potter swatters yet that's what I want to know? Or was there big hope that Star Tours 2 by itself would be enough along with some cheap enhancements to fantasyland for the kiddies?

DisneyFan 2000

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken but I also remember hearing that Rock 'n' Roller Coaster was, too, a knee-jerk reaction to IoA and the buzz surrounding it's more-than-impressive thrill rides. So at the time MGM did receive some "help" against IoA.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
You know how most of us hate the new Disney brand sweeper before their movies? Their YouTube for trailers and such has the full logo at the top. Perhaps it is just some asinine branding thing.

ToTBellHop

Why didn't disney green light any potter swatters yet that's what I want to know? Or was there big hope that Star Tours 2 by itself would be enough along with some cheap enhancements to fantasyland for the kiddies?
They clearly didn't think they needed to.

It seems they are changing their minds now, although I don't think you'd term it a Potter Swatter so much as "keeping up with the Kardashians competition."

71jason

Do you know what were the plans by Disney for this "reaction with addition at all four theme parks"?

I remembering reading years ago the much-discussed villains land was a potential IoA response in either MK or DHS (as in they considered it for both parks). Basically as a way to throw up some off-the-shelf thrill rides with minimal themeing.

stevehousse

I still wonder why there hasn't been a villians land added to MK! Great theming, great ride ideas! It couldn't be more perfect! Some say a land would be too dark and scary, but I think not! I've always wanted the Villains Mountain water coaster rumored ride to come true!

asianway

I still wonder why there hasn't been a villians land added to MK! Great theming, great ride ideas! It couldn't be more perfect! Some say a land would be too dark and scary, but I think not! I've always wanted the Villains Mountain water coaster rumored ride to come true!
There is no way with the current snowflake mentality that a Villains land will ever see the dark of night.

Cardinals314

With the new expansions planning to begin in DHS and AK, it's highly doubtful to see any other new expansion. MK is almost done with New Fantasyland and rumors of the Imagination pavilion getting revamped would make the construction busy as it is in the parks.

lazyboy97o

I still don't get the love of the "Villian land" idea. There is no single place where they all hang out together and the villains tend to show up already. We also know they do not win, so an attraction is just a mash up of villains, the sort of tossing together than weakens experiences, not enhances them.

stlphil

Gawd, that black n white plan for Epcot looks amazing.
Maybe not so amazing when you consider that Project Gemini was really about splitting Epcot into two separate gates. A sort of addition by subtraction way to get to the mythical fifth gate. And not too different from current management's shell game mindset of trying to convince people that there's something new without really building anything.

bubbles1812

I still don't get the love of the "Villian land" idea. There is no single place where they all hang out together and the villains tend to show up already. We also know they do not win, so an attraction is just a mash up of villains, the sort of tossing together than weakens experiences, not enhances them.
I find the villains the most interesting part of their respective films. They are also often the characters with the most "life" to them. And we wouldn't exactly have the Disney movies if they didn't exist. No, they don't win, but that doesn't mean I don't like seeing them. And I'm not sure a mash up of them would cause a weaker experience. I don't see that with Fantasmic for certain. (Yes, that show has problems, but I consider the "story" pretty solid). I don't see why having them all in one attraction in that Villain Mountain type concept with one of our favorite heros battling them couldn't be great.

And there is a single place that they all hang out together... At the House of Mouse

(Sorry, couldn't resist :p:angelic::D)

lazyboy97o

I find the villains often the most interesting part of their respective films. They are also often the characters with the most "life" to them. And we wouldn't exactly have the Disney movies if they didn't exist. No, they don't win, but that doesn't mean I don't like seeing them. And I'm not sure a mash up of them would cause a weaker experience. I don't see that with Fantasmic for certain. (Yes, that show has problems, but I consider the "story" pretty solid). I don't see why having them all in one attraction in that Villain Mountain type concept with one of our favorite heros battling them couldn't be great.
One of our favorite heroes being involved and triumphing makes it a celebration of the hero, not the villain. They've tried to push the villain angle of Fantasmic! in Florida, and even with all that time they get, it's about Mickey Mouse. The villains would need to triumph, or be left alone like with Gaston's Tavern.

bubbles1812

One of our favorite heroes being involved and triumphing makes it a celebration of the hero, not the villain. They've tried to push the villain angle of Fantasmic! in Florida, and even with all that time they get, it's about Mickey Mouse. The villains would need to triumph, or be left alone like with Gaston's Tavern.
I don't think that's necessarily true at all. Yes, it's about Mickey but again, can't exactly have Mickey be the hero if the villains aren't there to oppose him. I haven't exactly seen anyone say they need to "celebrate" the villains. But a bigger presence in the park wouldn't be bad. And rides with them in more prominence would be fun, even if they lose in the end. Heck, if Mr Toad could feature him being sent to hell, maybe you could even get away with a villain winning on one ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom