Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolbeans14

RIPD failing could have something to do with no one having a clue what jeff bridges is saying. I just hear in the trailer "nurph mah murm mur" every time he spoke. That will seriously damage it outside of the US where it isn't re-dubbed.

On a side note, I saw a trailer for that turkey movie recently, and I can't help wondering what the executive was thinking when they green lit a film based on thanksgiving- a holiday with literally no relevance outside of USA. I expect that to do poorly as well

DisneyFan 2000

Disneyland had a sole owner and four decades of successful operation behind it during which time it became an engrained part of Americana. Disneyland Paris has a shorter, mostly troubled history in which blame is still placed on the park that has seen the amassing of an enormous amount of debt.

Not to be picky but if blame is to go anywhere it is to opening 7(!!!) on-site resorts before even letting the place pick up steam. That, and cultural issues that initially created some difficulty in encouraging guest spending. The park, judged on its own, performed very well from the get-go and attracted more than enough visitors to translate into a profitable resort.

lazyboy97o

Not to be picky but if blame is to go anywhere it is to opening 7(!!!) on-site resorts before even letting the place pick up steam. That, and cultural issues that initially created some difficulty in encouraging guest spending. The park, judged on its own, performed very well from the get-go and attracted more than enough visitors to translate into a profitable resort.

Blame does not necessarily equate to the actual cause of a problem. Euro Disney SCA was posting some profits before they had to commit to taking on more debt to meet their contractual obligations to open a second gate. This has only helped reinforce the misconception that theme park spending is a problem to viewed with caution. Thankfully some of this was recognized and the involved parties agreed to push back the deadline for opening a third gate. The purchase of the debt by The Walt Disney Company also should help with moving forward, but there are still complexities with the regulation and organization of the Resort's ownership and finances.

71jason

You can count part of the problem as advertising. Make no mistake, it looks like a half assed attempt at copying MIB, but I didn't see a trailer for this movie until mid/late June and don't remember hearing of it before then. Most Summer movies have trailers in heavy rotation by April. Maybe it's just my area but I had seen 8 movies from May 1st until late June.

Saw a rumor on a film-oriented board that the studio realized they had a dog early on, decided to not go all out on marketing accordingly. Still doesn't explain how the flick got made in the first place, but there's that ...

SirLink

RIPD failing could have something to do with no one having a clue what jeff bridges is saying. I just hear in the trailer "nurph mah murm mur" every time he spoke. That will seriously damage it outside of the US where it isn't re-dubbed.

On a side note, I saw a trailer for that turkey movie recently, and I can't help wondering what the executive was thinking when they green lit a film based on thanksgiving- a holiday with literally no relevance outside of USA. I expect that to do poorly as well

No it won't it is easy to understand what Bridges says during the trailer, "You gotta earn that", etc.

RSoxNo1

Since this thread is already slightly off topic and hitting at media anyway, @WDW1974: Thoughts on ESPN picking up Nate Silver, buy his blog, AND giving him a (small) political reporting staff?

See (not self promoting, just trying to file under the right category): http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/espn-buying-fivethirtyeight-after-hiring-nate-silver.869516/
Nate Silver has been doing stuff for sports for a while now. He's been on Bill Simmons show multiple times.

willtravel

I have always wondered why, if WDW has sssoooo much land that they built Magic Kingdom. Animal Kingdom and Disney Hollywood Studios kinda close together and Epcot, nice and spread out? Anyone know? I am not asking for everything to have been built as spread out as Epcot but a little more walking space I think would have been nice. It just seems like the rides are so close together or is my perception wrong?

coolbeans14

New rumors that JJ Abrams may be backing out of Star Wars and headed back to Star Trek.

http://collider.com/star-trek-3-new-writers-abrams-leaving-star-wars-episode-7/

I never really got why he got complained about filming in the UK. He should have seen that coming, what with Disney moving a lot of production over here anyway.

If this story is true, and if he does pull out, you know who would be great for doing them? Joseph Kosinski!

He's got history with Disney, and after how great oblivion was, could you imagine how good SW could look?!

bubbles1812

I never really got why he got complained about filming in the UK. He should have seen that coming, what with Disney moving a lot of production over here anyway.

If this story is true, and if he does pull out, you know who would be great for doing them? Joseph Kosinski!

He's got history with Disney, and after how great oblivion was, could you imagine how good SW could look?!
Well, I'm pretty sure he has a family he didn't want to be away from for an extended period. Hence the wish not to go to England.

And yeah, Star Wars would probably look nice... But looking nice only gets you so far. You kinda have to have a strong story to back it up, or else you end up with say... Star Wars 1,2, and 3. Oblivion was an ok movie, but it had some serious flaws and a few sizeable plot holes. So I wouldn't be sold on Kosinski at all.

truecoat

I'm not so concerned with how it will look as how it will play out. There are many artistic directors out there but I want something more than that.

Reactions: |Q|

the.dreamfinder

People have families... families that they like going home to every night. A large reason why Disney wants them to shoot Ep VII in the UK is tax credits (free money).

Joesph Kosinski is getting better, but I would not trust him with Star Wars AT ALL. I still think he's an architect first, filmmaker second. If JJ leaves, Joesph Kosinski is not on my list.

EDIT: I'm reluctant to post this, but here's my list of directors IF JJ leaves.
Brad Bird
Guillermo del Toro
Rian Johnson
Bryan Singer

Wild cards:
Wes Anderson
Patton Oswalt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom