Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Also, an expansion based on original ideas could prove just as successful in the long run. But that kind of talk will probably get you tossed out on your ear.

I just think that ship has sailed, at least here in the good old US-of-A. I'd say that DCA would have been their last attempt, and they ended up needing to push billions into that park and inject it with a whole heapin' helping of existing franchise in order to bring it around. Maybe I'm cynical, but I just cant see a large swath of America being excited to visit something akin to Mysterious Island, based on a book they've likely never heard of. I wish I didn't feel that way, I'd love to say that I had faith that if they build an amazing area people would show up. I just don't feel it will happen again. C'mon Disney, prove me wrong.

lebeau

I just think that ship has sailed, at least here in the good old US-of-A. I'd say that DCA would have been their last attempt, and they ended up needing to push billions into that park and inject it with a whole heapin' helping of existing franchise in order to bring it around. Maybe I'm cynical, but I just cant see a large swath of America being excited to visit something akin to Mysterious Island, based on a book they've likely never heard of. I wish I didn't feel that way, I'd love to say that I had faith that if they build an amazing area people would show up. I just don't feel it will happen again. C'mon Disney, prove me wrong.

I don't think Disney has any interest in proving you wrong.

New attractions that are tied to popular movies or concepts are pre-sold which makes them more appealing. But if Disney built an attraction that wasn't tied to an IP, it could still work. Soarin', Expedition Everest and Mission: Space are all examples of relatively recent attractions that weren't based on a movie. I think the execution for both could have been better (especially M:S).

Disney can do it. They just don't want to.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

I know of many none theme park aficionados here in central Indiana that were excited when EE opened. However, I'm not entirely against use of ip. You need a mix. @lebeau's main point is correct - execution is the most important thing for something that is going to be around for 25-30 years. You are correct that a big SW expansion would be a huge draw for a year or two no matter what because it is a cultural touchstone. I think one of the issues with SW weekends and Star Tours is they are both a bit stale. Even with the ST being upgraded I've talked to many people who a) didn't know it was upgraded or b) went on the new one, but were unaware of the different ride experiences created by having different movies.....

Rodan75

Based on Magic Your Way (MYW) ticket pricing structure, most guests appear to be done with WDW after 4 days. The incremental cost of 5 days and beyond is only $10/day, a pittance compared to the first 4 days which average $84.50/day for park hoppers.

Just pondering how 4 days at WDW might be spent by a hypothetical guest: 1 ½ days at MK, 1 day at Epcot, ½ day at DAK, ½ day at DHS, ½ day for miscellaneous (e.g. DTD, TL, BB, etc.).

What’s your opinion? Will the rumored DHS changes cause guests to extend their WDW vacations or simply steal time away from other WDW locations? Are both DHS and DAK (Avatar) upgraded needed to get guests to extend their stays?

You just described exactly how we generally visit WDW for our summer vacation, we then also get a UNI trip into IOA and also to SeaWorld. Next year will be the first time in a long time I've even considered a trip to USF. I'm not sure these additions will change my patterns too much. Maybe less time in MK dealing with the strollers.

Pentacat

I don't think Disney has any interest in proving you wrong.

New attractions that are tied to popular movies or concepts are pre-sold which makes them more appealing. But if Disney built an attraction that wasn't tied to an IP, it could still work. Soarin', Expedition Everest and Mission: Space are all examples of relatively recent attractions that weren't based on a movie. I think the execution for both could have been better (especially M:S).

Disney can do it. They just don't want to.

This gives me hope for my "John Carter Sings the Songs of the South Experience" attraction. *fingers crossed*

Pixiedustmaker

All I can say is that not all departments get along.
Leaking for spite would be a good way of "flipping off" the D23 gang, no?

Sounds more likely that the . . . 'leaker', wanted to get a specific reaction from the fan community, or whip up interest in Carsland/StarWarsland at DHS from outside Disney. One poster said that they hoped that the rumors of all 3 projects would "smoke out" what, (if anything), is truly planned.

Viget

My theory:
According to Spirit, at least three versions of the DHS redo exist. They've likely selected which version they'll build, but this is Disney so for all we know they could change their minds. Higher ups at TDO and WDI feed information to CP who feeds said info to SM whores over the summer in what will be the closest thing to PB&J mud wrestling on the GF beach. But here's the catch about the info, they leak all three plans to SM whores in an attempt to build "buzz" for D23 and deliberately ensure each SM gets info that contradicts each other. The reason why CP is doing this is to permanently cull down the SM list by figuring out who actually is relevant among the Disney fan community. Of course, it seems pretty likely that this could blow up in their faces.

THIS IS A THEORY

This is BRILLIANT! I love it. It's almost exactly like the Game of Thrones episode where Tyrion plants false info on the fate of Myrcella to figure out who Cersei's mole is. That was inspired genius.

This is even better 'cause it's like the reverse situation, here Disney wants to see who the biggest leaker is so they can get rid of the other losers!

Lee

Adventurer
Sounds more likely that the . . . 'leaker', wanted to get a specific reaction from the fan community, or whip up interest in Carsland/StarWarsland at DHS from outside Disney. One poster said that they hoped that the rumors of all 3 projects would "smoke out" what, (if anything), is truly planned.
What you find "likely" is irrelevant.
The facts are the facts, and I'm told it was leaked without the permission of the group which had the most to gain/lose.

As for the second point:
The poster in question was not seeking validation that the plans were real.
He was looking for additional info and details that were lacking in his information.

Unfortunately, though the plans are real, the details are not readily available at this time. And, this being Disney, the plans will likely evolve more between now and the greenlight.

baymenxpac

My theory:
According to Spirit, at least three versions of the DHS redo exist. They've likely selected which version they'll build, but this is Disney so for all we know they could change their minds. Higher ups at TDO and WDI feed information to CP who feeds said info to SM whores over the summer in what will be the closest thing to PB&J mud wrestling on the GF beach. But here's the catch about the info, they leak all three plans to SM whores in an attempt to build "buzz" for D23 and deliberately ensure each SM gets info that contradicts each other. The reason why CP is doing this is to permanently cull down the SM list by figuring out who actually is relevant among the Disney fan community. Of course, it seems pretty likely that this could blow up in their faces.

THIS IS A THEORY social media strategy

fixed that last part for ya ;)

Pixiedustmaker

What you find "likely" is irrelevant.
The facts are the facts, and I'm told it was leaked without the permission of the group which had the most to gain/lose.

As for the second point:
The poster in question was not seeking validation that the plans were real.
He was looking for additional info and details that were lacking in his information.

Unfortunately, though the plans are real, the details are not readily available at this time. And, this being Disney, the plans will likely evolve more between now and the greenlight.

If the plans are going to "evolve" between now and the greenlight, then I doubt that they'd be announced at D23. I don't think Burbank would cancel plans of this magnitude if somebody "leaked" them as part of a convoluted powerplay at Disney. It is very vague to say, "there are plans", these can change and it might not happen . . . I don't see any solid "facts" here.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
If the plans are going to "evolve" between now and the greenlight, then I doubt that they'd be announced at D23. I don't think Burbank would cancel plans of this magnitude if somebody "leaked" them as part of a convoluted powerplay at Disney.

I mean, it's not like Disney has ever evolved plans after announcing something... <cough>New Fantasyland <cough> Avatar <cough> Hyperion Wharf

Lee

Adventurer
If the plans are going to "evolve" between now and the greenlight, then I doubt that they'd be announced at D23. I don't think Burbank would cancel plans of this magnitude if somebody "leaked" them as part of a convoluted powerplay
Lots can happen between now and D23. Anything is possible.
As of now, the plan being discussed here is a fairly accurate representation of what is to be announced. Nothing of any magnitude will be cancelled. Adjustments are quite possible.

Pixiedustmaker

I mean, it's not like Disney has ever evolved plans after announcing something... <cough>New Fantasyland <cough> Avatar <cough> Hyperion Wharf

But the story is that evil elements in Disney (which of course are waging a war against the D23 camp, whatever that means), are leaking D23's massive plans to be released at D23 concerning this project. If such an announcement is coming for D23 (unlikely), wouldn't they already have given the green light?

Is Iger going to say, "We're looking at several options for DHS, as I'm sure you've heard! Construction will start this year, end in 2018 . . . we're not sure what is going in it."

Even the Avatar announcement had more info . . .i.e. what park and what theme the new area would have.

Pixiedustmaker

Lots can happen between now and D23. Anything is possible.
As of now, the plan being discussed here is a fairly accurate representation of what is to be announced. Nothing of any magnitude will be cancelled. Adjustments are quite possible.

OK, so you're saying that irregardless of fine details . . . a massive project at DHS will be announced at D23 this year. I'll believe that when I see it!

I think that 'Anything is possible" is truly accurate as the rumors are, in my opinion, not coming from within Disney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom