Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figments Friend

I'm going to be extremely upset if they bring Carsland to DHS without the full RSR experience. That is the selling point of the whole land. People aren't flying out to California so they can visit a cars themed hot dog stand or cars themed store selling toys they can get at Walmart. They are making trips based on those awesome commercials of guests riding through the mountains of Radiator Springs in Lightning McQueen. If they change it to a dark ride, it will be a HUGE mistake that Disney will regret. This is definitely a case of if it ain't broke, don't fix it, copy it!
-
While i agree that Cars Land in DCA is quite impressive, i have had doubts that something like it would ever make it to FL soil.

Why?

Because FL already HAS that much trumpeted ride system..the original...called Test Track.
To do a RSR in rainy, humid FL exactly like the one in sunny, mild CA would be nuts operational wise.

Skyway posted his thoughts on this topic earlier ( see it quoted below in my other post )...about how the FL version should focus more on the indoor dark ride segments and then use a classic *speed tunnel* effect to recreate the RSR experience, but enclosed.
This would work well in the Florida environment better.

Yeah i know...probably not as cool a experience, but i cannot see a exact clone coming due to the weather issues and spacing constraints.

DCA needs to keep Cars Land as it is, as a exclusive.
Let DHS ( or whatever it will become..) have it*s own version of Cars Land if the powers insist.

:)

Figments Friend

RSR "lite"-- I've go no problem with this. The only benefit of using the expensive TT technology on the DCA version is for the high speed race at the end, which can currently be experienced at Epcot, yet is also subject to weather closures. 3/4 of DCA's RSR could have been achieved using any dark ride vehicle system. Imagine if WDW replaced the outdoor run finale with an updated version of the old SpeedTunnels (from WoM, If You Had Wings), using HD Pixar animation of a race through the desert, maybe even ending at the Piston Cup. It would make WDW's RSR similar but different (just as Nemo on the 2 coasts are similar but different). It would reduce the risk of weather closures. It would likely reduce technical down times. It could potentially create higher capacity. And it should free up money for other projects.

Great post.
I agree with the reasoning here.

lazyboy97o

Don't argue it's useless
Oh I know, and I'm pretty sure the troll has me on ignore so I don't have to worry about being sucked into the vortex of thoughtlessness. But it is something that many people seem to repeatedly forget. So many see this equivalency between Walt Disney World and other parts, if by the whole, of The Walt Disney Company. They fail to recognize how much more there is even just to Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Many also seem to ignore how the pricing works and why, because of that pricing model, the gains at Islands of Adventure are so amazing and paradigm shifting for the Central Florida market. They see these numbers, and knowing it's not how they visit or how visits are sold, seem to think each number accounts for a full price, one day admission.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
-
While i agree that Cars Land in DCA is quite impressive, i have had doubts that something like it would ever make it to FL soil.

Why?

Because FL already HAS that much trumpeted ride system..the original...called Test Track.
To do a RSR in rainy, humid FL exactly like the one in sunny, mild CA would be nuts operational wise.

Skyway posted his thoughts on this topic earlier ( see it quoted below in my other post )...about how the FL version should focus more on the indoor dark ride segments and then use a classic *speed tunnel* effect to recreate the RSR experience, but enclosed.
This would work well in the Florida environment better.

Yeah i know...probably not as cool a experience, but i cannot see a exact clone coming due to the weather issues and spacing constraints.

DCA needs to keep Cars Land as it is, as a exclusive.
Let DHS ( or whatever it will become..) have it*s own version of Cars Land if the powers insist.

:)

This didn't stop them from building Body Wars. Same ride system as Star Tours and even the same two parks we are talking about.

Figments Friend

True, and of course we have a lot of dark rides that use the same basic Omnimover system.

I still have difficultly fully believing however that they would clone it exactly and re-use such a troublesome ride system when it is notorious for going off-line in rainy weather.

For a flagship new attraction at the Ex-DHS, i have a hard time seeing how a exact clone would work with the Florida weather patterns.

Skip

@Skip You win the internet for today. Bravo.

I sincerely appreciate it. Tired of this nonsense.

Yes, DHS has attendance and WDW has record attendance. As noted, spending in the parks on food/merchandise is up in Disney's domestic parks. I find it farfetched that DHS's spending has not ticked up a bit as the economy has improved, this is an exogenous reason for DHS's spending numbers to improve. So even though DHS doesn't have anything new, spending would be expected to go up. DHS has always had issues being a half-day park, they have added shows and attractions over the years.

Not saying that DHS shouldn't get a new attraction in five years, like in Pixar Place, but that putting in Carsland seems very unlikely, in addition to Carsland plus a StarWarsland that is even more amazing that Carsland, plus Pixar stuff. Really? Fans want Disney to "answer" Uni's upgrades and rumors are not surprisingly, things that fans have been speculating about.

There is no evidence to support the idea that spending at DHS, and length of stay, has gone down from baseline. With higher attendance numbers you have more guests, and that is more absolute spending all else remaining equal. If the economy is improving you'd naturally expect more spending . . . as Disney has reported . . .

These rumors are all bogus.

Look what one of the "insiders" said:

So, were these rumors started just to generate fan interest, to persuade Disney, or to "smoke out" the truth of rumors from months ago?

I'm going to stop acknowleding your attendance comments because it's already been well established that the attendance is NOT the problem.

Maybe DHS's spending has gone on up a tick - after all, a rising tide raises all ships. But again, even if that's the case, DHS's numbers were apparently FAR LOWER than the other parks to begin with... so even if it did rise incrementally, it's still abysmal compared to the better performing parks. That's something Disney would want to fix, no?

I don't know what you're even getting at with the half day park stuff now, you aren't making a lot of sense since the two statements you make on the matter seem to contradict each other. Yes, it has issues being a half day park. That's agreed upon. It still IS a half day park, in fact, more of a 2 to 3 hour park, even though they've added stuff over the years. (Remember, this is the park that opened with 2 attractions!) That's the whole damn issue that warrants Disney looking at these Cars/Star Wars reboot plans.

Sure fans are clamoring for a response to Uni, the "Potter Swatter" or whatever, but that ship has sailed and most of us have accepted it. You're missing the point, though - the people who revealed these plans are not the ones who naively think Disney's going to "strike back" at Universal because Potter made them look stupid. The reason for these rumored expansions isn't to respond to Potter, it's to increase spending & length of stay at DHS. Why is this so hard for you to understand? You can't take bits and pieces of other completely opposite arguments and combine them to make your case sound better.

Disney said domestic parks spending has increased. Notice domestic parks, not WDW, specifically. If Disney had good news to report about both resorts, wouldn't they just say, spending is up at DLR by this much and spending is up at WDW by this much? Disneyland added CarsLand and the DCA 2.0 upgrades which is selling boatloads of merchandise, which of course means domestic spending is up on the West Coast. Hell, even at WDW, New Fantasyland is opening at a glacier pace, which means spending is probably up for Beauty & The Beast stuff, Be Our Guest "food," and LeFou's Brew (which I do happen to love). So Magic Kingdom spending I don't doubt is up - it should be! But why the hell would DHS go up enough to erase the existing deficit between the parks when no new significant attractions have been added? You're ignoring simple logic and assuming all 4 parks (including DHS) were on the same playing field last year. All of the evidence (INCLUDING Disney's increasing ambiguity in its released figures) points to the fact that they aren't. Trust me, if Disney had good news to share, they would share it in GREAT detail!

You keep contradicting yourself, too - first you say "DHS has always had issues being a half-day park," then you say, "There is no evidence to support the idea that spending at DHS, and length of stay, has gone down from baseline." Length of stay directly correlates with spending due to the whole "having to eat" phenomenon. If DHS is still struggling as a half day park (which simple anecdotal observation as well as deeper insider information would indicate is the case) then there are going to be spending issues.

By the way, no idea why you quoted my post, since you did not seem to actually respond to any of the logical points I made - instead, you continued to repeat the same things you've been saying like some sort of robot. We get it - you think the rumors are bogus, based on nothing but personal opinion that is backed up by - guess what - nothing. I got news for you. Lee and Spirit and a dozen others know better, and they've proven it. You're coming off as a child covering their ears and screaming "I CAN'T HEAR YOU." I get it if you don't think the expansion is a good move, or you don't like how it might proceed. But you can't deny DHS has some serious issues and these are plans Disney might be looking at.

Just so we're clear, I am not super confident that the proposed expansions will actually take place as described. But I do believe they aren't a puff of hot air. I believe they are being considered, because the people who were kind enough to share them with us have built up a degree of credibility that I respect and would not intentionally mislead us. Pixie's got nothing but his ignorance.

Pixiedustmaker

-

Why?

Heat is an issue too. Radiator Springs is very hot during the summer time in Anaheim . . . Florida can be worse with the humidity. They could plant large trees up and down Radiator Springs, but it would change the desert look of the place . . . Rockwork radiates some amount of heat, some people have said that Mermaid's new exterior can get hot.

Another issue is the hurricanes/extreme weather. We've seen what weather (and neglect) had done to the Tree of Life . . . Cadillac Mountain range might require some expensive upgrades. Just speculation.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Heat is an issue too. Radiator Springs is very hot during the summer time in Anaheim . . . Florida can be worse with the humidity. They could plant large trees up and down Radiator Springs, but it would change the desert look of the place . . . Rockwork radiates some amount of heat, some people have said that Mermaid's new exterior can get hot.

Another issue is the hurricanes/extreme weather. We've seen what weather (and neglect) had done to the Tree of Life . . . Cadillac Mountain range might require some expensive upgrades. Just speculation.
God forbid that they actually do any preventive maintenance.

articos

Depends on what you call in trouble. TDO have acknowledged intenally that the park needs help for at least 4 years now.

And lets not talk about unsuitable hotel ground or tunnels under World Drive.

Just to clarify once and for all, since you're mentioning it and others keep bringing it up every so often...DHS will not expand across World Dr. Ever. Not going to happen. World Drive is not going to be rerouted, either.
That is EXACTLY what is happening. Also EMH plays a major role in shifting guest visitation around property. DHS sees a lot of gate clicks because resort guests see that as the "early park" or the "late park" based on the EMH schedule. It's because they think they are getting something special because they are seeing the park before or after "everyone else does."

It should come as no surprise that every WDW park's highest attended day of the week is almost without fail the day they hosted EMH.
All true.
Two things, first off @Skip gets post of the day. Second, where did this Muppet dark ride thing start?

Muppet dark ride??? Not at this time.

Pixiedustmaker

You keep contradicting yourself, too - first you say "DHS has always had issues being a half-day park," then you say, "There is no evidence to support the idea that spending at DHS, and length of stay, has gone down from baseline." Length of stay directly correlates with spending due to the whole "having to eat" phenomenon. If DHS is still struggling as a half day park (which simple anecdotal observation as well as deeper insider information would indicate is the case) then there are going to be spending issues.

No contradiction. DHS's baseline is that of a half-day park, IMO. That does not mean that it is struggling financially. DHS gets visits for shows and I hear that people still eat at the Brown Derby from time to time, LOL. Baseline means DHS's usual income, plain and simple. The park has been open since 1989 . . . it is currently making money for Disney given that attendance is up. Certainly you aren't suggesting that Disney has keept DHS open for 24 years even though it has been losing money?

I'm going to stop acknowleding your attendance comments because it's already been well established that the attendance is NOT the problem.

Maybe DHS's spending has gone on up a tick - after all, a rising tide raises all ships. But again, even if that's the case, DHS's numbers were apparently FAR LOWER than the other parks to begin with... so even if it did rise incrementally, it's still abysmal compared to the better performing parks. That's something Disney would want to fix, no?

It is reasonable to assume that spending at DHS has gone up. It is reasonable to assume that DHS is profitable . . . increased park attendance also means more money, yes.

I don't think there is any evidence that DHS is "abysmal" compared to the other parks. Similar attendance to Epcot and AK, they sure seem to have a lot of stores . . . I would guess that AK might sell less merch than DHS, but I would also guess that the 3-non-castle parks have similar merch sales.

Of course Disney would like every park to make more money . . .

You're missing the point, though - the people who revealed these plans are not the ones who naively think Disney's going to "strike back" at Universal because Potter made them look stupid. The reason for these rumored expansions isn't to respond to Potter, it's to increase spending & length of stay at DHS. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

To reconcile the increased attendance at WDW/DHS . . . I think the new explanation for the rumors is less merch/food bought at DHS per capita. I don't believe this as I see no proof.

One person who revealed these plans, themeparkinsider says that it is the answer to Uni:

After many months of Universal Orlando pummeling Disney with one popular new expansion after another -- Harry Potter, Transformers, Springfield, and more Harry Potter -- it appears that Disney might, finally, be ready to strike back.

articos

Yep ... but I am wondering what Disney will do to their other Studios breadwinner -- SWW's -- when they embark on this massive makeover. ... The Ozzy and Sharon Lightacular will be history. There is nowhere for them to stick them (their current location is because they paved all of the backlot sets for LMA) now. ... But what of SWW's? I would guess they'll continue them, but they may be scaled back a bit because of space and construction issues.

I don't know anything for sure, but the assumption is DHS's refurb will be a phased build. SWW isn't a major factor as far as WDI's planning is concerned, since that's another couple divisions' problem. What will likely happen is they'll do whatever they can to move the event around so it can still happen, even if temporarily on a smaller scale. SWW is definitely factored into the future of DHS, though.

Pixiedustmaker

We get it - you think the rumors are bogus, based on nothing but personal opinion that is backed up by - guess what - nothing. I got news for you. Lee and Spirit and a dozen others know better, and they've proven it. You're coming off as a child covering their ears and screaming "I CAN'T HEAR YOU." I get it if you don't think the expansion is a good move, or you don't like how it might proceed. But you can't deny DHS has some serious issues and these are plans Disney might be looking at.

Just so we're clear, I am not super confident that the proposed expansions will actually take place as described. But I do believe they aren't a puff of hot air. I believe they are being considered, because the people who were kind enough to share them with us have built up a degree of credibility that I respect and would not intentionally mislead us.

If I said that Disney is planning on building a theme park on the moon, and you said it appeared to be a bogus rumor, then without insider info you could say based on the details of said rumor it appears to be untrue.

The rumors of Carsland, plus StarWarsland, plus Pixar . . . which one poster referred to as a controversial post to "smoke out" the truth behind the DHS, . . . appear to be outlandish and ignoring logistical issues and to be recycled fan rumors. So, yeah, based on the substance of these rumors, (and comments of promulgators) they appear to be pure bogus material.

The insiders themselves hint that Disney gives them fake leaks and they miss out on real news like NFL and the Star Wars acquisition.

Beyond just blue sky rumblings, the flavor of the rumors is almost as though said demolition and construction is fact.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
If I said that Disney is planning on building a theme park on the moon, and you said it appeared to be a bogus rumor, then without insider info you could say based on the details of said rumor it appears to be untrue.

The rumors of Carsland, plus StarWarsland, plus Pixar . . . which one poster referred to as a controversial post to "smoke out" the truth behind the DHS, . . . appear to be outlandish and ignoring logistical issues and to be recycled fan rumors. So, yeah, based on the substance of these rumors, (and comments of promulgators) they appear to be pure bogus material.

The insiders themselves hint that Disney gives them fake leaks and they miss out on real news like NFL and the Star Wars acquisition.

Beyond just blue sky rumblings, the flavor of the rumors is almost as though said demolition and construction is fact.
I was at Typhoon Lagoon this morning, and I asked the CM working at the locker rentals and she confirmed that, yes, Disney is building a theme park on the moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom