Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
If I do go, I will let you know. When I decide to go to a 'nice' place with variety the whole family can choose I , oops, well, there it is. Mythos had nothing, absolutely nothing on their menu my kids would touch. I wanted to try it based on what I had heard. Mushroom soup, might as well be a cup of rat pi$$. Pad Thai, it they cannot pronounce it, they are not going to eat it. Good, bad or indifferent, my best meal, while on the Dining Plan in 2007, was at the Brown Derby and there was something there the whole family could eat. Now, if you really want to get down to it, the Chick fil-A at King's Island was better than any meal I had at UNI, so was the LaRosa's. Hell, even the Graeter's was better than anything I ate at UNI. I doubt many people go to UNI for the food. . .

Not to insult your kids, but if they can't find something to eat on the Mythos menu (there are things like burgers and chicken sandwiches and salads and flatbread pizzas) they must be very tough to take out to dinner most places.

WildcatDen

Hey Spirit. What I guess I am saying is, since we do not know what 'additional' plans TWDC may have for NexGen, we cannot necessarily say the goose is not golden. Until then, if I want thrills, I will go to Cedar Point and King's Island. Not just for the thrills but also since I live in Ohio. If I head to Florida, my stay will be at WDW with a side trip to UNI to visit Hermoine (oh, and that Potter kid. . .)

WDW1974

Original Poster
I had the Beef Medallions the last time I was at Mythos in July and thoroughly enjoyed my meal.

At $16.99, it was an outstanding value and excellent food for a theme park.

Compare that to the Brown Derby's Chicken Breast ($30), Pork Chop ($33), Bison ($38), or Filet ($42). :eek:

All of UNI's full serve locales are like that. Quality food that in the real world would be considered largely inexpensive. Had lunch at Lombard's Landing a few weeks ago. EVERY regular entree was under$20 with a 1 1/4 pound lobster for $29.99 (imagine what Disney would charge -- about double).

But it is true that no side of Pixie Dust was available.

WildcatDen

Not to insult your kids, but if they can't find something to eat on the Mythos menu (there are things like burgers and chicken sandwiches and salads and flatbread pizzas) they must be very tough to take out to dinner most places.
Must not have looked at the right menu. Since my daughters are too old to eat off the kids menu, at first glance I did not see something they would eat. It was raining and we were close to heading out. Ended up doing a popcorn and then getting takeout from the Damon's close to the hotel. Probably spent about 1/2 to 1/3 the $$. Like I had said before, theme park food is, for the most part, a necessary evil. Quick service is meh and sit down is too expensive for what you get. That is why the choices at KI are IMO very good. I would put LaRosa's over any theme park pizza be it counter or sit down.

I don't really know how to respond to this anymore. I have many, many times.. Can you bookmark it for the next time someone responds to me as you did?

Here goes :

Disney doesn't want my business, not because I am 'difficult' or any such nonsense, but because of my expectation that they deliver the product they pimp, the product I grew up on, the product they conditioned me to accept.
They want me to just go away. But, if I do, it won't change a damn thing. Indeed, they'll just replace me with a rube who doesn't know any better and thinks WDW 2013 has never been better.

I spend a tiny fraction of what I once did. The days of blowing thousands in a week at WDW are now ancient history. I stay off-site or with extreme discounts onsite or on friends DVC for NOTHING. My days of walking out of the Art of Disney with giant boxes and AmEx statements is over. The DDE days of eating at WDW locales is long gone. And let's not forget how much Disney loses on me in Coke sales! (on that alone, Bob and Willow will have go sell one of the seven homes!)

For all practical purposes, Disney barely makes anything on me. Yet, I still get to enjoy parts of WDW, and enjoy the company of family and friends in the area.

If I stop going, believe it or not, I am just playing into Disney's hands as i will no longer have first-hand knowledge to point out that they are not running their business in a smart fashion for the long term benefits of fans, guest, cast AND shareholders.

So, I'll keep going and, try as they might, they won,t be doing much more than breaking even with me as a guest.

Do you consider your efforts productive? Do you believe you have any sort of impact?

HMF

TDO could always go the cheap and easy route of just theming the park to empty buildings.

All they would need to do is come up with an elaborate, Disney Springs-like backstory to justify the theme, and then propagate it on the official Parks Blog:

In the early 1920s, Howard Wood Studios was an industry leader, much beloved for its memorable silent movies. Then, just as the Studios prepared to take an ambitious leap into the realm of talking films, the Great Depression hit. Now, all that remains of this once-proud moviemaking icon are row after row of empty buildings...

Add a couple of fake dandelions growing up through cracks in the sidewalk... maybe a part-time Streetmosphere CM in a tattered business suit, attempting pathetically to sell a box of shriveled apples, and voila!

A substantial portion of the fanbase would eat that stuff right up... because, well, it's themed...
Brilliant! The sad thing is that it's so dead on and believable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom