Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

manutdfan1

I completely agree. Even considering how wasteful and bloated Disney has become with building new theme park attractions, 3 billion would go a long way at making improvements.

Only thing i'll say is that WDW is definitely already a shadow of its former self. Has been since the mid 90's or so when they began mutilating EPCOT and systematically compromising overall quality (attractions, maintenance, food quality and other special details that added up) across the entire property for the next two decades. It simply keeps casting a longer and longer shadow as the years go by and they continue to allow the place to rot away.

I wasn't old enough to appreciate the parks in the 90s :(

GLaDOS

Frontline CMs (those who know how the parks and attractions run and what the software would do) have been saying for months it'll never work properly. And now its coming true.

Maybe if Disney realized it's front of the line workforce was worth a damn and could give invaluable input on this matter they wouldn't be having this problem.

Yet again the company puts the cart before the horse and is paying the price for it.

DocMcHulk

5th gate...and then some...
no 5th gate. they are already stretched too thin to properly maintain the 4 they already have.

Two things to remember:
This was supposed to be a $1 billion project. While a lot, must more reasonable and palatable than $2-3 billion.
The project was designed to bring in load of cash. They wouldnt have used that same amount for an attraction or gate because those wouldnt have the profit return they were looking for.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
no 5th gate. they are already stretched too thin to properly maintain the 4 they already have.

Two things to remember:
This was supposed to be a $1 billion project. While a lot, must more reasonable and palatable than $2-3 billion.
The project was designed to bring in load of cash. They wouldnt have used that same amount for an attraction or gate because those wouldnt have the profit return they were looking for.

Monorail expansion then?? :p:D;)

Back on topic - what exactly IS this NGE BS? I really haven't been paying too much attention since I haven't been to WDW since March 2012 but now that I'm going back October 2014 I want to know what all of the hoopla (HOOPLA!) is about.

DocMcHulk

Monorail expansion then?? :p:D;)

Back on topic - what exactly IS this NGE BS? I really haven't been paying too much attention since I haven't been to WDW since March 2012 but now that I'm going back October 2014 I want to know what all of the hoopla (HOOPLA!) is about.
oh, that would cost at least $100 billion quintillion.

devoy1701

Can someone please explain to me what exactly Next Gen is? I get the basics of it but what were we suppossed to be getting out of this project and what are we actually getting? It certainly wasn't just fancy lines with electronic gizmos and the ability to fast pass taking a leak.

I apologize in advance for the extreme generalization, but from what I understand, the point of NextGen was to give Disney more information on how people tour the parks, what they buy, when they buy, how often they buy, etc for better utilization of attractions, product placement, and product offerings. All being disguised as a way to "enhance" your experience in the parks.

bhg469

haha! Right? If you're going to the game tonight, drop me a line. We could grab a hot dog and discuss this thread while watching our team kick some butt :) The last time the Pirates had a winning season, I was too young to remember!

Back on subject... @Tim_4 can you share anything else about the PhotoPass fiasco?

@WDW1974 have you heard any numbers as of late regarding attendance, rooms filled and/or projections for the upcoming fall/winter? Do you think WDW will be as busy as they've been in the past for the holidays?
Wish I could provide our suite tickets. Up until recently, PNC park was the only reason to go to a game.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Wish I could provide our suite tickets. Up until recently, PNC park was the only reason to go to a game.

Very true. It's such a gorgeous park, that you could mostly overlook the crap team on the field. However now it's actually worth watching. :) We're going tonight and Friday night.

bhg469

I apologize in advance for the extreme generalization, but from what I understand, the point of NextGen was to give Disney more information on how people tour the parks, what they buy, when they buy, how often they buy, etc for better utilization of attractions, product placement, and product offerings. All being disguised as a way to "enhance" your experience in the parks.
The guest enhancements had some great potential, not the fast pass garbage but the RFID interacting with you in a que or in the middle of a ride... Pretty stinking cool idea... But obviously the big idea was the collecting data on guest trends and figuring out how to make us spend money.

bhg469

Very true. It's such a gorgeous park, that you could mostly overlook the crap team on the field. However now it's actually worth watching. :) We're going tonight and Friday night.
My brother lives in Wexford and I try to go when I visit him in the summer not this year yet however. In my job I get to see quite a few parks and PNC is a gem. Citi field is up on my list as well but mostly because of food. I consider it a really awesome food court surrounded by illegal chop shops.
I really hope they do well, its the only Pittsburgh team that doesn't turn my stomach :)

Jeffxz

NGE is falling apart at the seams. Many of the executives who had been putting on a brave face and walking the line are now more openly pessimistic. Some of the enhancements will be nice but almost all of the revenue generating elements are crashing and burning.

I can definately see this backfiring. I am taking part in the test later in August and thanks to FP+, I will easily be able to shave off a few hours of park time each day.

Here is a typical schedule that I would follow:

Epcot: Arrive around 2:00 or 3:00, get FP for the future world E Tickets, head to WS around 6 for dinner and drinks
Epcot + FP+: Arrive around 4:00, ride E-Tickets, back to WS at 6

MK: Arrive around 4:00, start collecting FP for E-Tickets, Wishes, Leave around 11:00
MK + FP+: Arrive around 6:00, ride E-Tickets and others, Wishes, Leave around 11

DHS: Arrive around 10:00, start collecting FP for E-Tickets, grab lunch, leave around 3:00
DHS + FP+: Arrive around 10:00, ride E-Tickets, leave around 1:00

Do I like this better? Yes, absolutely. I will have more time to rest or spend doing other things but I don't see how this helps disney. I realize I am not the typical visitor (AP who visits 4 - 8 times a year), but this seems to stop me from impulse buying. If I am not waiting around for FP to become valid or waiting in line, I am just going to leave earlier or arrive later.

I also see this as a big problem with perception for first time visitors at the non-MK parks. If a first time visitor arrives at epcot and has the main E-tickets covered by FP+ before noon, they could easily percieve the park as lacking in attrations and feel bored.

devoy1701

The guest enhancements had some great potential, not the fast pass garbage but the RFID interacting with you in a que or in the middle of a ride... Pretty stinking cool idea... But obviously the big idea was the collecting data on guest trends and figuring out how to make us spend money.

rubbish!

:cautious:

Seriously though, I won't lie, some of those elements are...intriguing I guess, but to me, no moreso than simple interactive elements as they have in the queue of Indy (rubber bamboo pole, pull the rope, run from the spears, etc). The RFID really was a long stretch in how this NexGen stuff would "improve" our experience.

bhg469

I can definately see this backfiring. I am taking part in the test later in August and thanks to FP+, I will easily be able to shave off a few hours of park time each day.

Here is a typical schedule that I would follow:

Epcot: Arrive around 2:00 or 3:00, get FP for the future world E Tickets, head to WS around 6 for dinner and drinks
Epcot + FP+: Arrive around 4:00, ride E-Tickets, back to WS at 6

MK: Arrive around 4:00, start collecting FP for E-Tickets, Wishes, Leave around 11:00
MK + FP+: Arrive around 6:00, ride E-Tickets and others, Wishes, Leave around 11

DHS: Arrive around 10:00, start collecting FP for E-Tickets, grab lunch, leave around 3:00
DHS + FP+: Arrive around 10:00, ride E-Tickets, leave around 1:00

Do I like this better? Yes, absolutely. I will have more time to rest or spend doing other things but I don't see how this helps disney. I realize I am not the typical visitor (AP who visits 4 - 8 times a year), but this seems to stop me from impulse buying. If I am not waiting around for FP to become valid or waiting in line, I am just going to leave earlier or arrive later.

I also see this as a big problem with perception for first time visitors at the non-MK parks. If a first time visitor arrives at epcot and has the main E-tickets covered by FP+ before noon, they could easily percieve the park as lacking in attrations and feel bored.

I hate to see Epcot get any less love but I think you're totally right, they are ruining their own reputation.

CDavid

NGE is falling apart at the seams. Many of the executives who had been putting on a brave face and walking the line are now more openly pessimistic. Some of the enhancements will be nice but almost all of the revenue generating elements are crashing and burning.

Gee, I so wish we could have seen this coming...Oh, wait...we did see this coming. :banghead:

Long time member here and former CM but I rarely post. The amount of $$$ spent on NGE already is amazing in itself. But do the executives in charge realize the cost of not only maintaining but UPGRADING a system like this when the time comes? And that should be every 2-3 years ideally if they hope to keep it current. Keep in mind the amount of upgrades the parks usually get (almost none) and that they had the same POS terminals for almost 20 years. And don't even get me started on the outdated technology in DisneyQuest! How do they expect to keep this up and running? Short term thinking will kill this company. And unfortunately it's happening in all areas of the company today.

rael ramone

Can someone please explain to me what exactly Next Gen is? I get the basics of it but what were we suppossed to be getting out of this project and what are we actually getting? It certainly wasn't just fancy lines with electronic gizmos and the ability to fast pass taking a leak.

What we are getting:

The ability to book rides 60 days out (and if your park of the day has been locked in due to a dining reservation booked 180 days out you just might find out that the 'good' rides have all been taken).

The limitation of 3-4 FPs per day, no repeats, and all in one park.

A lot of propaganda (i'm with the band tshirts, etc) that they want to sell to us.

SPAM (more info on you and your under 13 young ones for them to use and/or share with their partners)

Longer lines, more confused guests (making some rather ornery)

A capital layout that's made the BOD reluctant to spend $$$ on needed stuff.

devoy1701

Long time member here and former CM but I rarely post. The amount of $$$ spent on NGE already is amazing in itself. But do the executives in charge realize the cost of not only maintaining but UPGRADING a system like this when the time comes? And that should be every 2-3 years ideally if they hope to keep it current. Keep in mind the amount of upgrades the parks usually get (almost none) and that they had the same POS terminals for almost 20 years. And don't even get me started on the outdated technology in DisneyQuest! How do they expect to keep this up and running? Short term thinking will kill this company. And unfortunately it's happening in all areas of the company today.

Software Maintenance usually checks in around 20% of the purchase price each year.

bhg469

There is plenty of money to support the idiotic trends because they will always hook new visitors. The problem is that we will be paying for this in lack of attractions that could have been built or improved for a loooooong time.

mickey2008.1

So spending 3billion to see how I spend hundreds makes a lot of sense:banghead: I get the in line interaction, but that does not make my trip that much better and give me the wow factor that new attractions would or great refurbs. Most people that go to the parks will never even see this nextgen stuff and just see that the parks are still the same as they were 5 years ago. Finally I will be able to keep up with Spirit for once and not be lost in thousands of posts. Looking forward to your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom