Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longhairbear

Sorry, I just believe that signing a life worth of vacations away is sheer stupidity.
I could care less if my fees are pure profit or not, which I don't believe they are. Call me stupid, but I'm paying (in membership fees now) a lot less for a place to stay in accommodations that I otherwise would not pay the current prices for. I paid cash for my membership, and broke even on both that initial outlay of cash, AND the accumulative fees incurred over 3 years, 7 years ago. I could care less if Disney gets it back when my contract expires, I will have too.

stlphil

Or add in the fact that after 40-50 years, Disney gets everything back.

Wrong.
Based on what knowledge? If turnstile count is a closely held number, unique individual attendance must be inner sanctum stuff since it is much harder to know.

Besides, while it's good to know you you are privy to such high up insider information, in retrospect I agree that I shouldn't have put a number to it since the actual number isn't germane to the point I was making.

bhg469

Based on what knowledge? If turnstile count is a closely held number, unique individual attendance must be inner sanctum stuff since it is much harder to know.

Besides, while it's good to know you you are privy to such high up insider information, in retrospect I agree that I shouldn't have put a number to it since the actual number isn't germane to the point I was making.
I work in the ticketing industry and one of my companies responsibilities is reporting attendance numbers back to our clients. The arenas and sporting events are usually about 98% accurate. The public events are a different story... They have a tendency to inflate numbers to make it sound like their event is the place to be, and if you're not there you are missing out. The actual attendance was less than a quarter of what they announced.

I'm not saying Disney is padding their numbers to that extreme but there are so many ways to make it sound like more people are there.

71jason

All Deluxe Resorts have occupancy rate problems. Simple business sense suggests you don't convert $600/night rooms into timeshares if they are occupied. Especially when it costs about $30/night to turn them over. :D

A non-Spirited observation: despite the large MK crowds PhotoDave and others reported on Saturday, that night, the GF was at only 38% occupancy. In a company that largely exists to rent hotel rooms, that figure must be giving someone an ulcer.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Spirit needed to make a run out to WDW to see the 3 weeks of Dance Party Limited Time Magic.

I mean, I kinda assumed that he couldn't contain himself and had to get there for the dog dance party thing and this weeks Villains party. But still, he could have said goodbye or something. Maybe he'll bring us back a treat... or some dirt on the goings-on at the parks.

lebeau

maxairmike

I work in the ticketing industry and one of my companies responsibilities is reporting attendance numbers back to our clients. The arenas and sporting events are usually about 98% accurate. The public events are a different story... They have a tendency to inflate numbers to make it sound like their event is the place to be, and if you're not there you are missing out. The actual attendance was less than a quarter of what they announced.

I'm not saying Disney is padding their numbers to that extreme but there are so many ways to make it sound like more people are there.

I've long maintained that the unique attendance for WDW as a whole is likely very close to 20 million (maybe up to 25). Anyone who thinks the total attendance at WDW is anywhere close to the combined numbers of all 4 parks and water parks is delusional. Attendance numbers for a multi-day destination with such a diverse ticketing and visitor base is nothing but fluff and PR material at the highest level. It is useful for some broad measurements, but the meat of your reporting for the strength of such business is going to come from spending numbers, which is where everyone's focus should really be. The attendance numbers are helpful for putting some broad context into the hard dollar figures, but focusing on attendance alone is a folly that too many park fans make.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Because part of the DVC maintenance costs are administrative fees... and who is the management company for the properties? A TWDC owned company likely?

For example of this years dues per point at BLT 2.81 out of the total is DVC administration and (mis)management fees, Which being over 50% of the total is wildly excessive.

scout68

Here's food for thought..

NGE is supposed to data mine the heck out of us right?

What happens when the data shows that they've priced themselves out?

What happens when the data comes back and they realize they're losing money because of how high their prices are?

My guess is you can say goodbye to more of the little huge money saving tactics such as bringing in your own food and drinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom