Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixargal

There is going to be an updated daily number that is constantly shifting, which is also affected by banking and borrowing of points. This allocation is going to follow certain business rules which are allowed a certain amount of subjectivity based on the timeshare plan documents.

This allocation will always favor the developer. Disney...Marriott...Westgate...go to a timeshare message board and if you think this one is negative and you will find out every timeshare developer will rent desirable rooms leaving the leftovers for the owners. This is why passionate owners argue that once sold out, the developer and manager of a resort should be two separate parties to prevent self dealing. Sadly this is the nature of the beast and why previous posters would never touch timeshare, even Disney, with a 10 foot pole.
You brought up a great point about banking and borrowing and availability. I browse the DVC resale sites and have noticed that prices have gone up quite a bit in the last six months. What is interesting is that many of the contracts are stripped of points. Some as far as next years points. So, perhaps, these "borrowed" points are saturating the system. Good news, though, if this is true then 2014 should have plenty of availability :)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
IT SHALL NOT PASS!

Seriously though, I'd love to see a quickservice that served Potatos and Lembas Bread...

With ent-draught and miruvor on tap of course!

Good pick up on my phrasing. From time to time Gollum would steal your spouse's Lembas bread and sprinkle the crumbs on your shirt creating palpable vacation tension, because, let's face it, your spouse ain't buying your literary explanation.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you remove the wristbands and everything that is connected to them, what is left?

RFID door locks...
Touch to pay Point of Sale Terminals everywhere...
New web infrastructure and sites...
New mobile applications...
Online wait times...
All the related infrastructure changes to support integrated customer info into ADR, FP, and resort systems
Field mobile applications and terminals for cast members...
Wifi across all the parks...

All of those do not hinge on bands... the bands are just one token for these systems. The bands are really the keystone for the location and customer modeling portion of the project.

doctornick

If only....

Anyway, on a topic 74 brought up before: has anyone tried to figure out the 3 IPs Universal is looking to acquire? LOTR is one... Rumors of Wonka circulated last week... I wonder if Star Trek could be one... Or if one or two of the IPs are for KidZone...

FWIW, WDW1974 did like my post where I suggested Star Trek as a possibility....

And it wouldn't be the first time having Star Trek in a Universal Park, as they had that Star Trek show in Cali in the past -- where audience members were part of a film spliced with members from the original series. I don't think that was ever in Orlando, was it?

Longhairbear

This has always been my impression of how it works. Disney can't just take rooms from DVC and sell them for cash. Timeshares are regulated and members have an ownership stake in those rooms. Sure, theoretically Disney could just be lying and cheating the system, but I'm skeptical about that given how big and popular they are and how much public scrutiny and bad PR they would get if they got caught -- and with all the public discussion and information about Disney/DVC out there they would get caught sooner or later. They wouldn't be able to fly under the radar.

Anyhow, if people are using their points at other places that aren't their home resort or WDW (DCL, DLR, Aulani, other Disney hotels worldwide, RCI, Concierge collection, Adventures by Disney, etc.) then rooms that previously would be allotted to points/DVC get assigned to Disney for cash sales. I think the technical way it happens is that DVC "sells" the owned points room to Disney (I guess the hotel division) and then uses that money to "buy" the RCI reservation or the vacation package from Adventures by Disney.

If there are more "cash" rooms at DVC resorts than in the past, it likely just means that DVC members aren't using their points at WDW as much these days. Which wouldn't be a terribly surprising thing given that the park hasn't been adding much, so much like many people on this board are saying, people might be doing other vacations with their "money" (in this case DVC points). And a lot of those vacation options take up a lot of points -- a family of four that goes on a week long DCL trip could use 650 points or so easily which is like 2-3 weeks in a two bedroom villa at OKW/SSR.
This is how we have been using our points, elsewhere. We haven't been to WDW in three years.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I enjoyed the books - and the movies - and I have no idea what any of this means. Geek.

;)
Well, Potatos are pretty well known from the movie. You know...boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew? At least, that's what Samwise thinks!

Lembas is the elvan bread given to Sam and Frodo to sustain them on their journey...

Ent-draught isn't something that's in the movies, as I recall, but it's a sweet drink brewed by the Ents (youknow, the living trees, like treebeard). It's supposed to have a light, sweet flavor (like a summer wine perhaps?) and have healing properties.

Miruvor is a strong elf liquer, like a fine brandy.

And...none of this, I suspect, did you ever want to know! <grin>

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
No, they don't switch it between the two. They can't. That's the whole point. Also, who said "we"?

Yes Disney CAN switch between the two - its called 'breakage' and supposedly offsets member fees in the past DVC inventory has been moved to 'breakage' at 14-21 days out so CRO can rent rooms that would otherwise go 'unused' and at that point in time the assumption is likely accurate.

In past years we have been able to extend stays using points to do so inventory is moved OUT of breakage back to DVC. This has not been possible this year.

The other key issue is that there are only a fixed number of points and the DVC system is set up to allow ALL members to use ALL their points in any given UY. So there CANNOT be more DVC member requests than point availability UNLESS points are going prematurely into breakage in which case you will have too many points chasing a artificially small inventory.

Captain Chaos

FWIW, WDW1974 did like my post where I suggested Star Trek as a possibility....

And it wouldn't be the first time having Star Trek in a Universal Park, as they had that Star Trek show in Cali in the past -- where audience members were part of a film spliced with members from the original series. I don't think that was ever in Orlando, was it?
don't think so... not that I can remember anyway...

Question though is: Original Star Trek or JJ's reboot... I say reboot...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
don't think so... not that I can remember anyway...

Question though is: Original Star Trek or JJ's reboot... I say reboot...

It would be sweet if they gave both versions their own 'Land' in a split reality like the movies. Have an original Star Trek Land and a transporter that goes wrong and "beams" you to the alternate reality version (jj's reboot land)[/quote]

WildcatDen

I've made a good living cleaning up IT Disasters and the Mark III calibrated gut tells me this one will be an IT disaster of EPIC proportions and a 'New Coke' moment for Disney its sad really

But was New Coke really bad for Coke in the long run. I do not have the numbers, but I am guessing "Coke Classic" did more business the Old Coke before New Coke. For the life of me, I do not understand Coke Zero. Is it meant to try and lure away pepsi drinkers? For most people I know, it has just been cannibalistic (sp?) in stealing away existing Coke and Diet Coke drinkers, like Bert here.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So we can look forward to MyMagic+ being replaced by MayMagic Classic? ;)

we can only hope Or the tech is redeployed in a guest centric manner, Even though I DESPISE the was the tech is being used currently it actually DOES have a lot of potential to improve the guest experience.

John

I tell you what....All this DVC talk.....it might as well be Flynni talking tech. Is there a Rosetta Stone program for DVC? Anyway....I know one thing. If I paid all that money and was 11 months out and couldn't get a room at my home resort....I would be 74 mad! Even if there is no monkey business with occupancy, it still does not smell right. So what you are saying is that DVC can sell the rooms to a cash ressie but cant do it the other way around? or they don't want to do it the other way around? ie. sell a cash room to DVC?

Sure you DVCers might have a clear picture of this but if I am in a presentation and I ask about it....they start giving me the explanation given here. I am running out of the room. I have a question.... a serious....honest question. What is the hook? What is the best reason you could give for owning DVC? I just don't see it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But was New Coke really bad for Coke in the long run. I do not have the numbers, but I am guessing "Coke Classic" did more business the Old Coke before New Coke. For the life of me, I do not understand Coke Zero. Is it meant to try and lure away pepsi drinkers? For most people I know, it has just been cannibalistic (sp?) in stealing away existing Coke and Diet Coke drinkers, like Bert here.

Personally I prefer the 'Real Coke' from Mexico made with real sugar instead of corn syrup, But coke zero is not bad and it has NO calories :)

Longhairbear

Yes Disney CAN switch between the two - its called 'breakage' and supposedly offsets member fees in the past DVC inventory has been moved to 'breakage' at 14-21 days out so CRO can rent rooms that would otherwise go 'unused' and at that point in time the assumption is likely accurate.

In past years we have been able to extend stays using points to do so inventory is moved OUT of breakage back to DVC. This has not been possible this year.

The other key issue is that there are only a fixed number of points and the DVC system is set up to allow ALL members to use ALL their points in any given UY. So there CANNOT be more DVC member requests than point availability UNLESS points are going prematurely into breakage in which case you will have too many points chasing a artificially small inventory.
Hi, I haven't used our points at WDW in a number of years, so I haven't experienced villas being moved in and out of breakage, nor was I aware that this year is different than the past. What is your opinion of what is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom