Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genie of the Lamp

On the orlando sentinel website today, Jason Garcia wrote an article talking about how Comcast announced today that they plan on speeding up spending on its uni parks (mainly at orlando and Hollywood). Comcast plans on boosting capital spending in parks division by 50% this year to $1.1 billion. Comcast made this announcement when they reported on Q2 earnings.
http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-76858402/

twebber55

On the orlando sentinel website today, Jason Garcia wrote an article talking about how Comcast announced today that they plan on speeding up spending on its uni parks (mainly at orlando and Hollywood). Comcast plans on boosting capital spending in parks division by 50% this year to $1.1 billion. Comcast made this announcement when they reported on Q2 earnings.
http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-76858402/
yeah i read it..two very different philosophies in orlando right now

Beholder

one thing we easily forget is... even without a penny spent on NextGen...there's no guarantee Disney would have spent money on new attractions sooner

Very true, but just knowing that they WILL spend insane amounts of money is frustrating, especially when it's on, at this point, questionable endeavors.

Captain Neo

NGE is falling apart at the seams. Many of the executives who had been putting on a brave face and walking the line are now more openly pessimistic. Some of the enhancements will be nice but almost all of the revenue generating elements are crashing and burning.

I hope the masterminds of NGE get fired. What a total waste of company resources on such a poorly thought through concept.

PhotoDave219

But...the Yeti isn't my type! :p I was being facetious. As a former castmember I know all too well about Disney management. I was working the night they decided to get rid of the turnstiles at PI and "open up" the island to regular guests to drive more bodies onto the island so people would spend more $$. I called PI's demise right then and there.

Funny, I was a guest their that very same night and I said the same thing....

You cant mix an adult alcoholic envionment with a family open environment. Bad things will happen.

lazyboy97o

I think people are going to be buried in technology in the future whether we like it or not (smartphones, watches, etc.)
If this is to be accepted as a given, then there is simply no reason for Disney or anybody else to continue to bother with themed experiences. The expenses can no longer be justified.

WDWDad13

Very true, but just knowing that they WILL spend insane amounts of money is frustrating, especially when it's on, at this point, questionable endeavors.

I personally think Avatarland is a "questionable" endeavor as well and that would be an attraction or 2

PhotoDave219

I hope the masterminds of NGE get fired. What a total waste of company resources on such a poorly thought through concept.

Actually.... no.

The masterminds who came up with this idea are very disappointed with how its grown to fruition. It is vastly different then what was originally conceived. And the last i heard, they want nothing to do with it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK, so I returned here and there's a dozen pages already. While I appreciate the support and interest, it sorta makes things tougher in getting stuff out in a reasoned order.

The first thing I want to get out, and I have to head out for the afternoon shortly, is what my personal transformation was. Quite simply, this is the visit where I realized, where I admitted to myself that while Disney may well still be the world-wide leader in immersive family entertainment parks, that in Orlando they are now a distant No. 2 to UNI in things that matter to me and should to you too.

Universal's parks are fresher, more dynamic, better maintained and have huge new attractions on the way. They are staffed by happier employees who feel the vibe of working for a company that is expanding its footprint in a huge way and creating new job opportunities. The guests, who always were dissed by Disney pixie dust addicts as slightly above Six Flags level, are -- to my quite expert eye -- largely smarter, classier and more discerning than Disney's base of addicts, rubes, newbies and one and dones.

In the past, I always enjoyed UNI, but I was like a lot of the pixie dusters. When UNI closed, I was wondering if I could still get three hours in at the MK that night. While I was taking in the amazing IOA, in the back of my mind I couldn't,t help but wonder what I was missing at EPCOT (even if I knew rationally there was nothing new, interesting or compelling). And I spent no time in City Walk because if I was done in the parks than I had to be done at UNI and happily back on my way down I-4. Why stay and look around?

That really was my attitude. The last vestige of a WDW addiction that began in 1974 when UNI wasn't even a thought really. Sure, I loved and enjoyed UNI. But I couldn't get past the idea that it wasn't warm and fuzzy, just fun and high caliber. Disney's BRAND had done a job on my brain to the point I simply overlooked reality as a matter of course. Disney was always the best and when it wasn't I had excuses at the ready.

No longer.

While WDW has Wal-Marted its product, UNI is now the Nordstrom of the business. I don't care how many resort rooms that WDW has or how many gates or social media whores. It isn't the best in anything but separating people from money at an alarming pace and living off the greats who created it. I can't in good conscious tell folks to take trips to WDW, to give their money to the Mouse, to help George and Andy build that dream mansion in Isleworth , to help Wall Street pimp Disney shares.

UNI and Disney have both transformed and so have I. The addiction is gone. The temptation is too.

And when I start talking about UNI's plans (how about a monorail?) versus what Disney will be adding, maybe you'll also look in the mirror and ask why am I defending a product, a company that deserves my scorn and pity, but not my hard earned vacation dollars.

Two different companies. Two different expansion plans. Two different business models.

But only one doing it the right way.

You fanbois recall the Disney Decade? All those grandiose theme park plans that wound up in books on your coffee tables?

Well, one day you're gonna look back at the 2010-2020 period as the UNI Decade. But there's going to be a fundamental difference. You'll be able to live it, no coffee table book required.

SirLink

Just imagine if NextGen never works as originally planned. Not even close.

For the most part TDO and those in Burbank with say have finally lost the plot. Sadly. It just gets worse and worse.

In most companies when you spend Billions and a project never makes back its investment all involved in the planning/design/approval/execution are usually thrown out a company ... it could still happen. SS is our only hope :(

Soarin' Over Pgh

If us on here are having a hard time understanding this nextgen thing and exactly all the benefits it will bring in five or six years, how do you think the people who just go without knowledge are going to know what to do. The only way I know anything about this Mydisney Experience is from this website, otherwise i would be a lost dumbass in WDW, and probably still am because of all the confusion. This is a website with 60,000 users, but WDW has millions in attendence, and many who will be blind sided. They should have waited and got it all implemented before trying to rush everything and confusing their guests. I will be one of those who will be taking a year off or two just to wait and see how it all plays. Great infrastructure, but what does that do for my stay and family, it's already hard enought to plan a trip, and with only 4 FP+ perp day for one park only, I am not going to park hop anymore, which leads me to spend less money there because I cant park hop to the fullest extent, and the price increase is not worth it to me jut so I can go to MK for the day and EPCOT for dinner. I will just go offsite, cheaper in the end.

Here's an easy test of how the general public will understand NGE. Pick someone who is vaguely familiar with Disney (or any damn theme park, or hell, your local amusement park) and then tell them that park just spent a few million dollars on a program that will track what the customer buys, does, and spends when they are in the park. Then explain that, because of this program, the park thinks they don't need to add new rides, or attractions, or anything. The program is supposed to help the customer spend more money.

Ask the person what they think of that. Then ask them if they had their choice between a tracking program- please explain here that it includes a nifty little rubber bracelet- or trying out a brand new attraction, which they'd like more.

Oooooooor you can explain it the way I did to my roommate. I made a Lincoln log house (remember those? haha!) and asked if he would like to explore the log house. He said "yes" and I promptly destroyed the house by shoving it off the table and putting an apple on the table instead. Explained that he can't have the house, but here's an apple. Enjoy! This is kinda what Disney is doing right now. I don't think it could be simplified any further.

I need a drink. @asianway is that offer still valid?

Beholder

Seems like Disney (last decade or so) spends money, while Universal (last 5 years or so) INVESTS money. UNI is executing well thought out plans, spending money to make money, and aren't waisting time about getting it done.

Wonder where they got THOSE plays from? Beginning to think they stole the entire play book and TDO can't remember the rules.

Please get better, please get better, please get better. Three times right? That should do it.

maxairmike

And when I start talking about UNI's plans (how about a monorail?) versus what Disney will be adding, maybe you'll also look in the mirror and ask why am I defending a product, a company that deserves my scorn and pity, but not my hard earned vacation dollars.

Two different companies. Two different expansion plans. Two different business models.

But only one doing it the right way.

Love the entire post, but I wanted to narrow it down to this for one point, something that will be brought up in the next Orlando City Council meeting regarding OUC easements on Universal/Lockheed land.

Just a little FYI and extra information to kind of start to tie things together.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Seems like Disney (last decade or so) spends money, while Universal (last 5 years or so) INVESTS money. UNI is executing well thought out plans, spending money to make money, and aren't waisting time about getting it done.

Wonder where they got THOSE plays from? Beginning to think they stole the entire play book and TDO can't remember the rules.

Please get better, please get better, please get better. Three times right? That should do it.

I hope you tapped your heels together while chanting that. If you didn't, it won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom