Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

RSoxNo1

Just to help add some perspective, there are about 28,000 Disney hotel rooms at Walt Disney World. Is the lock to your hotel room something you want Disney to go cheap on?
I do suspect as others have intimated that there is not 28000 unique lock systems though. I would guess that your RFID card/bracelet can open more than just your room.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I do suspect as others have intimated that there is not 28000 unique lock systems though. I would guess that your RFID card/bracelet can open more than just your room.
Huh?
Your key would open your door and your door only.

Edit: I have a feeling I'm misunderstanding you here, just can't quite figure out what I'm missing.

HMF

Um, try this. TWDC is now primarily a MEDIA company that happens to own some theme parks and that's the way Iger likes it. My guess is that Iger is/always will be a fan of hugely profitable media content and having control of it would fulfill his personal ambition of having year over year salary increases in the 20-40% range.
and that is why I dislike him.

MattM

Haven't they already done that with the Princess fixation or is that the half you are referring too? Wouldn't this bring it to an admirable 100% of the customer base. If my high school biology lessons have been retained at all our species has two basic genders, male (boy) and female (girl). This would kind of balance things out wouldn't it? :) I'm sorry, but, based on your comment, I couldn't really tell which side of the fence you fall on with this topic.

Ha. You're right, sorry if it wasn't clear. I was basically making the point that Marvel was a good acquisition because it brings a demographic back to Disney that they seemed to be drifting from: boys.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
How about some links to those other discussions? Again, I can't find anything.
There was supposedly one on the DIS, and a couple reports here.
Anybody feel like finding a link? I don't.

There was a discussion on the DIS that I read. They're search function is down for the time being though. But I also seem to recall a similar discussion here. Enough that they are not random occurrences....

RSoxNo1

OK, so I was playing around this morning with the mostly-useless-at-this-point (OK, you can make ADRs) My Experience "app." Where I'm imagining FP+ will eventually live there is a description of "reminders" you can set for stuff like Illuminations.

I'm headed down in a week or so to check out the Flower & Garden fest and the new Food & Wine offerings, so I took a glance at the Illuminations page, and voila! I see now how Disney is planning on keeping crowd levels stable for stuff like fireworks and parades. I'm confident that having folks view Illuminations from WL will definitely help me in obtaining a good spot alongside the WS lagoon, which IMHO feel is a better spot than the Nature Trail... no dissing intended, mr/mrs App Developer... keep up the great work!

badapp_zps65a2b963.png

Illuminations from the WL?!?!
Too funny! :)
You might be able to hear it from there, that's gotta count for something. Either that or they're confusing Illuminations with the campfire stories.

HMF

Haven't they already done that with the Princess fixation or is that the half you are referring too? Wouldn't this bring it to an admirable 100% of the customer base. If my high school biology lessons have been retained at all our species has two basic genders, male (boy) and female (girl). This would kind of balance things out wouldn't it? :) I'm sorry, but, based on your comment, I couldn't really tell which side of the fence you fall on with this topic.
One of the worst decisions they have made was when they turned the"Disney Princess" characters into a brand marketed to 1 to 5 year old girls. While it makes financial sense for that demographic It has done severe public perception damage to films like Snow White, Cinderella ,Sleeping Beauty ,The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast. The general public now sees these as "Little Girls Films" as opposed to the General Audience Family-oriented films they are and were generally perceived as prior to the "Princess" brand thus we have stupid marketing decisions like calling the story of Rapunzel, Tangled which sounds like a title of one of those low-brow Dramworks animated Films.

wannab@dis

While I appreciate the explanation, I'd appreciate it even more if Disney plantered their site until they weren't giving out personal information erroneously.

I also object to your saying because you haven't seen it personally it's all speculation. I dont' think it was your intent for it to read that way, but it comes off as very defensive and insulting to the multiple people that have reported this problem independent of one another.
The speculation was about the cause.

my post you must not have read said:
I'm not downplaying the issue, just speculating on a possible cause.
Where are all these reports?

RSoxNo1

Japan? China? Eh, close enough. Call it a day.

ixCrG5N.png
This is pretty hilarious. I will say that as someone that runs a site that identifies things with photos it's conceivable that things aren't pointing to the right place and this is an unfortunate coincidence, but I highly doubt it. This just looks like the programmer didn't have a picture and went with a default image of what they thought was China.

wannab@dis

There was a discussion on the DIS that I read. They're search function is down for the time being though. But I also seem to recall a similar discussion here. Enough that they are not random occurrences....
Enough for it not to be random? Really? 2 out of hundreds of thousands of reservations? While it should be ZERO, I would say that's fairly random and small given the sample.

wannab@dis

This is pretty hilarious. I will say that as someone that runs a site that identifies things with photos it's conceivable that things aren't pointing to the right place and this is an unfortunate coincidence, but I highly doubt it. This just looks like the programmer didn't have a picture and went with a default image of what they thought was China.
Programmers don't put in the content... but somebody screwed up. They should really get some perfect people to work there.

RSoxNo1

I've never needed an APP to visit WDW in hundreds of days (could it be more? scary!) I don't need one now. I don't want to need one. I don't want someone bumping into me because instead of taking in the beauty of DAK they are walking with their head down into their iPhone.

That they are wrong just is more fodder for my contention that Disney can't get anything right with technology (this dates back well into the 90s when they couldn't handle sign-ups for merchandise events at DL) and they shouldn't be given any benefit of the doubt as the horror stories pour in.

But Fred and Mary Jenkins of Erie, Penn. (and kids Brandon 11, Kayla 8, Coy 6 and Miranda 3) guess what? I just canceled your Christmas vacation at the WL ... but I did reschedule you for next week at the Boardwalk in a two-bedroom villa. Enjoy the stay! I'll make sure Mickey leaves ya something special in the room!
As an enhancement to the existing systems can benefit from a mobile app. As much as we criticize technology there are advantages to what they're doing, it just doesn't seem like they're taking them.

wannab@dis

Wow, you will really defend anything no matter how bad.....maybe you would change your tune if it was your reservations that were cancelled.
Where did I "defend" anything? Also, show me where someone's reservation was cancelled. I think we're having a factual issue here. I'd rather see some facts than wild speculation.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Enough for it not to be random? Really? 2 out of hundreds of thousands of reservations? While it should be ZERO, I would say that's fairly random and small given the sample.

Two is all that I've seen personally. But it is also two reports on only two different sites. Who knows how many more are out there, reported or otherwise.

And quite frankly, for a issue such as this, even two instances should be deemed unacceptable. It's one thing to make light of a Disney app having the wrong location for a parade or the wrong country icon, but it's another when personal information is being erroneously placed for others to see.

RSoxNo1

Huh?
Your key would open your door and your door only.

Edit: I have a feeling I'm misunderstanding you here, just can't quite figure out what I'm missing.
I could be mistaken, but this would be a better explanation for the lock set analogy made several pages ago. To encrypt an RFID key is it more cost effective to have say 1000 different encryption combinations than 28000? So your key would open your room and 28 other rooms around property? If I'm wrong, my apologies but it was my understanding of these sorts of things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom