Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

ToTBellHop

Speaking as someone who lives in the UK - 'not legally'? If a kid wants something the stores will sell it to the kids except for age rated materials, cigs and alcohol. There is nothing illegal about it.
It is presumed that the parent has approved it. A safe bet since kids cannot work for wages.

Cosmic Commando

Plus, you're still having to do a pin at over fifty dollars, so that's where the notion of a heck of a lot of small purchases will have to add up. On the flip side, will they get people who rebel against the system and are quite bothered by what they're doing and when they are there, will they actually spend less?
Agree with your post, I just wanted to get in that they changed it so that every purchase needs a PIN now.

I know it's probably too late to change anything, but I'll through this out there again just to complain (that's what the Internet is for, right?): DLR's turnstiles pull up a picture of every AP less than a second after pulling up their pass. Why couldn't we get this at every credit card/KTTW/MyMagic+ POS terminal? Basically foolproof and no hassle for the guest.

ToTBellHop

Agree with your post, I just wanted to get in that they changed it so that every purchase needs a PIN now.

I know it's probably too late to change anything, but I'll through this out there again just to complain (that's what the Internet is for, right?): DLR's turnstiles pull up a picture of every AP less than a second after pulling up their pass. Why couldn't we get this at every credit card/KTTW/MyMagic+ POS terminal? Basically foolproof and no hassle for the guest.
It's probably better for Disney from a legal perspective to have PINs guests are responsible than to have CMs responsible for positively IDing all guests?

Kuhio

Going back to the Brooks Barnes article: one of Bruce Vaughn's points of pride is the fact that MyMagic+ ostensibly personalizes the WDW experience by allowing attractions and characters to directly interact with guests using information gleaned from the data on his or her MagicBand.

But, other than very young children, how many guests affirmatively value or desire this type of personalization? (I'm not discounting young children; obviously, they are an important demographic to Disney parks. But, especially where there clearly are legal and ethical issues concerned, a functionality that appeals primarily to the very young simply can't be a substantial justification for a multi-billion dollar program.)

When a rudimentary form of personalization was introduced on the E.T. Adventure over two decades ago, it attracted attention because it was a novelty... but it never became more than that, nor was it ever viewed as any sort of cutting-edge enhancement to the traditional theme park experience. Although what Disney is doing certainly has the potential to go far beyond a wrinkly grey animatronic mispronouncing your child's name, it's not substantively different in that this type of personalization has never been warmly received by the public.

In the science-fiction movie Minority Report, Tom Cruise's character enters a Gap store, where a cheerful virtual employee greets him by name and asks him how he's enjoying a previous clothing purchase. The scene does not come across as a flattering or optimistic portrayal of future technology -- rather, it was generally taken by audiences as a negative commentary on and satire of how targeted advertising was progressing in 2002. As such, it was both creepy and amusing in its exaggerated depiction of intrusive marketing. Audiences did not view such consumer personalization as something to aspire to, but rather something to avoid.

When "personalization" is -- as the word itself suggests -- premised on personal interaction, it can be incredibly meaningful. But that entails the existence of, at the very least, an actual familiarity. When someone with whom you have a genuine relationship -- such as a trusted, longtime family doctor -- addresses you by name, it is gratifying and appreciated, but largely because that person has earned the right to interact with you with that degree of familiarity.

In contrast, when companies and organizations with whom you have never had any kind of personal relationship send you junk mail letters addressing you by name, the personalization immediately rings false because it is a function not of familiarity but purely of marketing. It is insincere, because it seeks to invoke a degree of familiarity that is unearned.

I agree very strongly that "personalization" is fundamental to a fulfilling, even (dare I say it?) magical Disney vacation -- but I disagree that having an animatronic bird directly address each guest (Vaughn's example) is the way to do it. In a way, Disney has been a pioneer in guest personalization all along, simply by creating deeply immersive theme park experiences.

When the theming, set pieces, effects, and soundtrack of an attraction are so engrossing that the guest easily suspends disbelief and feels, for just a few minutes, that he or she is an integral part of the fantastic narrative that the attraction tells -- that's personalization. You don't need an animatronic pirate or ghost to call out your name, because emotionally and mentally you're already fully immersed in their story -- it's become your story purely by virtue of the storyteller's skill and your own imagination.

Now that is true personalization... and that is what Disney needs to do -- by going back to its own strengths -- to provide its guests with deeply felt experiences that will make them want to come back again and again.

John

OK......enough is enough. I have read every page of this ongoing debate....I made it to page 84 before I couldnt take it no longer. Even though I am no where near knowledgble enough to give any insight to the technical aspect of the argument....or any legal knowledge ( da magic has some of the most intellegent members of any chat forum I have ever visted.....not sure if that is a reflection on the magic.....or me) but all this talk about "level playing feild" is totally bugging me. Disney has a long history of treating EVERY guest like they were big time spenders. It didnt matter what resort you stayed at....you were considered family...."welcome home" We were all treated like royalty. This is what is eating at me over NexGen....it will no longer be the case. Your experience will be entirely based on how much you spend.....Our worth will be profiled. How we are treated will depend on how m,any chochski's we buy....what resort we stay at. This IMO is what is a the heart of the program. It will improve guest experience....as long as you pay for it. As if we were not paying enough....not to mention paying much more in the very near future. And no this didnt already exsist. Once in the parks everyone was treated equally. Them days are over.

I just returned from 8 days at WDW spoke to MANY guest about NexGen. Took my own "guest survey" Not one person knew of the program....not one. Although my sample wasnt piticularly large I was mildy surprised no one knew of it. Also in my little impromptu survey most guest were unhappy with thier current visit. Not wanting to get the thread side tracked I will save it for another time. My point is Disney is so far behind the curve on getting the message out that they are asking for huge problems. The program seems to be on the eve of being rolled out and very few people know about it....much less understand it.

They might have spent billions on the tech side of this and untold hours of planning and installing but from my side of the fence they have set themselves up for massive dose of backlash. Hell I dont think they really know how to get this thing started publicly. Just posting it up on the website and putting a "frequently asked question" link is hardly going to get the word out.

Lastly...and I just have to say this. The quality level of the food at WDW has fallen to a almost "inedible" level. Good luck Disney.....your going to need it.

threeyoda

OK......enough is enough. I have read every page of this ongoing debate....I made it to page 84 before I couldnt take it no longer. Even though I am no where near knowledgble enough to give any insight to the technical aspect of the argument....or any legal knowledge ( da magic has some of the most intellegent members of any chat forum I have ever visted.....not sure if that is a reflection on the magic.....or me) but all this talk about "level playing feild" is totally bugging me. Disney has a long history of treating EVERY guest like they were big time spenders. It didnt matter what resort you stayed at....you were considered family...."welcome home" We were all treated like royalty. This is what is eating at me over NexGen....it will no longer be the case. Your experience will be entirely based on how much you spend.....Our worth will be profiled. How we are treated will depend on how m,any chochski's we buy....what resort we stay at. This IMO is what is a the heart of the program. It will improve guest experience....as long as you pay for it. As if we were not paying enough....not to mention paying much more in the very near future. And no this didnt already exsist. Once in the parks everyone was treated equally. Them days are over.

I just returned from 8 days at WDW spoke to MANY guest about NexGen. Took my own "guest survey" Not one person knew of the program....not one. Although my sample wasnt piticularly large I was mildy surprised no one knew of it. Also in my little impromptu survey most guest were unhappy with thier current visit. Not wanting to get the thread side tracked I will save it for another time. My point is Disney is so far behind the curve on getting the message out that they are asking for huge problems. The program seems to be on the eve of being rolled out and very few people know about it....much less understand it.

They might have spent billions on the tech side of this and untold hours of planning and installing but from my side of the fence they have set themselves up for massive dose of backlash. Hell I dont think they really know how to get this thing started publicly. Just posting it up on the website and putting a "frequently asked question" link is hardly going to get the word out.

Lastly...and I just have to say this. The quality level of the food at WDW has fallen to a almost "inedible" level. Good luck Disney.....your going to need it.

Maybe you were treated like "royalty" by cast members greeting you at a hotel, saying "Welcome home" or something like that. That will continue, no doubt, because those are cast members doing those things. Corporate Disney is not like that, obviously, nor has it ever been since probably the late 60s with the development of Disney World. An argument could be made for before that with Walt Disney in charge, but since then Disney the company has always been about making money first and foremost, just like every other company. Disney, just like every other company, is always looking for ways to make more money, wether it be building a new park, new hotel, adding timeshares, shopping districts, sports complexes, etc. It's always about making money, and the guest - to corporate Disney - is how you make money.

So I wouldn't worry about any drastic changes on the Cast Member level. You will still be greeted at the hotels, still treated like "royalty" by most of them.

Also, the program was just announced yesterday, before then it didn't exist besides rumors in the fan community. I wouldn't expect anyone to know about it unless they went looking for info on it. People will find out overtime, when they see it in the news or book trips. This doesn't seem like something that needs to be majorly publicized, but who knows, maybe a big ad campaign is being prepped. And if it's successful, I Disneyland and Paris to get it too.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

The backlash is going to be fierce on this. Anyone I have told about it has had an immediate and overwhelmingly negative reaction to it. And the people I am telling it to are in love with WDW.

Cosmic Commando

It's probably better for Disney from a legal perspective to have PINs guests are responsible than to have CMs responsible for positively IDing all guests?
Ah, that's true. Not better, but better for Disney.

Still, though, I think the idea of a system like that would be a pretty good deterrent to thieves even trying to spoof or steal a wristband. I'm sure Disney comps lots of purchases from stolen or "stolen" KTTW cards; this wouldn't completely fix it, but it would probably make it a lot better.

John

Maybe you were treated like "royalty" by cast members greeting you at a hotel, saying "Welcome home" or something like that. That will continue, no doubt, because those are cast members doing those things. Corporate Disney is not like that, obviously, nor has it ever been since probably the late 60s with the development of Disney World. An argument could be made for before that with Walt Disney in charge, but since then Disney the company has always been about making money first and foremost, just like every other company. Disney, just like every other company, is always looking for ways to make more money, wether it be building a new park, new hotel, adding timeshares, shopping districts, sports complexes, etc. It's always about making money, and the guest - to corporate Disney - is how you make money.

So I wouldn't worry about any drastic changes on the Cast Member level. You will still be greeted at the hotels, still treated like "royalty" by most of them.

You are missing the point. Saying "Welcome Home" and treating you as if you were in thier home is two different things. My last trip was my sixteenth......so no need to explain to me what the the Disney difference is/was. The point I was making is that your experience will now depend on how much money you spend via Deluxe resort versus Value. I also am talking about the park experience. The resort experience was and always will be different depending on what level of resort you stay at/how much you spend. In the park we WERE all treated the same....but my feeling is with nexgen that wont be the case. A one day visitor will be at a disadvantage versus the resrort guest. In the past there was no difference, all guest were treated equally.

Also, the program was just announced yesterday, before then it didn't exist besides rumors in the fan community. I wouldn't expect anyone to know about it unless they went looking for info on it. People will find out overtime, when they see it in the news or book trips. This doesn't seem like something that needs to be majorly publicized, but who knows, maybe a big ad campaign is being prepped. And if it's successful, I Disneyland and Paris to get it too.

John

You are missing the point. Saying "Welcome Home" and treating you as if you were in thier home is two different things. My last trip was my sixteenth......so no need to explain to me what the the Disney difference is/was. The point I was making is that your experience will now depend on how much money you spend via Deluxe resort versus Value. I also am talking about the park experience. The resort experience was and always will be different depending on what level of resort you stay at/how much you spend. In the park we WERE all treated the same....but my feeling is with nexgen that wont be the case. A one day visitor will be at a disadvantage versus the resrort guest. In the past there was no difference, all guest were treated equally.

Cosmic Commando

What I think will be interesting to see is if Disney plays progressive.. and actually offers profiles, that simply lack contact info. If you want to be about your info... we will create a unique profile for you, but exclude any info that can link that profile to you. Then you have best of both worlds. Usability isn't nearly as nice, but both sides get 'most' of what they want.
Reminds me of how it's "OK" to take naked pictures of everyone at the airport because they blur your face. :rolleyes:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

Not really. The one day guest was paying through the nose compared to the 10 day guest.

TalkingHead

I agree very strongly that "personalization" is fundamental to a fulfilling, even (dare I say it?) magical Disney vacation -- but I disagree that having an animatronic bird directly address each guest (Vaughn's example) is the way to do it. In a way, Disney has been a pioneer in guest personalization all along, simply by creating deeply immersive theme park experiences.

When the theming, set pieces, effects, and soundtrack of an attraction are so engrossing that the guest easily suspends disbelief and feels, for just a few minutes, that he or she is an integral part of the fantastic narrative that the attraction tells -- that's personalization. You don't need an animatronic pirate or ghost to call out your name, because emotionally and mentally you're already fully immersed in their story -- it's become your story purely by virtue of the storyteller's skill and your own imagination.

Great post. But, like you said, WDI has lost sight of what made those older attractions memorable in the first place. Look at the Living Character Initiative, for example. Characters on screens talking to people in an audience. Kinda neat the first time I watched Turtle Talk, but that's about it. Not something that I can't wait to go back and see.

That's sorta what the interactivity of NextGen reminds me of -- a novelty factor that misses the involvement of the older, more successful attractions. It's like you said: it comes down to interactivity (which is cheap and superficial, a bird saying "Billy" or "Susie") versus involvement (which is far more demanding creatively and imaginatively -- probably why we don't see that much around WDW these days).

yoyoflamingo

Great post. But, like you said, WDI has lost sight of what made those older attractions memorable in the first place. Look at the Living Character Initiative, for example. Characters on screens talking to people in an audience. Kinda neat the first time I watched Turtle Talk, but that's about it. Not something that I can't wait to go back and see.

I agree, but something can be said for LCI. Muppet Mobile Labs was a great example, in my opinion. Use it more as entertainment or streetmosphere. Something extra that makes Disney unique, not as a replacement to attractions. Muppet Mobile Labs was amazing when I saw it in person. The problem is, Disney also doesn't really know what to do with them once they create them, so Lucky, MML, etc. always seems to wind up in a warehouse somewhere collecting dust instead of being out and about around the parks.

And remember the Electric Mayhem Bus Living Character Initiative that was announced? Still waiting for that too.

Living Characters are a great addition to the parks, but should not be the replacement for attractions that are timeless.

awoogala

Point was.. how do you directly REACH the child. Cell Phones and email addresses are in that age group.. but are still not dominate. Reaching that age group DIRECTLY is tough because they generally only have direct contact with the remote control and what they read.
and every game website. Most kids I know have their own computer, gaming systems that connect to the internet. It is not unusual for 8 year olds to have their own cellphones.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Let's not forget the 2007 reports linking RFID devices to cancer:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/08/AR2007090800997_pf.html

And how's this for a headline:

Big Brother Mickey Mouse to monitor behavior via Disney's MyMagic+ RFID wristbands

http://blogs.computerworld.com/priv...itor-behavior-disneys-mymagic-rfid-wristbands

The article ends with:

Oh my, does Disney really want to go down this path?

Cancer now too, I was on board with some extra junk mail.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom