Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
The privacy policy can be changed/amended at any time.

Of course - but the point of referencing the policy today is to show what the company has been doing, and the company has had similar data all along. The privacy policy is also an 'alarm' when it gets changed because of the notification required.

I think it currently just says that they can't share/sell your data without permission. My bet is that we will see some language along the lines of "Use of the system implies consent to..."

But lets get back to some of the half-thruths that have been riling people up.. that there will be no 'opt-out'. People have misconstrued that to mean there will be no way to keep Disney from selling your private info -- as opposed to what the info probably really means.. there is no way to opt-out of tagged media.. or possibly no way to opt out of profile building by Disney.

There is no way (bookmark it now) Disney would cross that bridge and make it impossible to opt-out of sharing of your personal info. That has pain and legality written all over it. It is something that the negatives FAR out weigh the positives and just means nothing but pain for the company. The motivation isn't there. Now, reality is much more like 'is sharing of private data opt-in or opt-out?' - That is MUCH more viable and is easily a place where society has 'accepted' opt-out (tho its not preferred). In the interest of designing the transaction for setting up users.. Disney may chose the 'opt-out' path for the user preference instead of requiring users to opt-in. This choice IMO will be far more telling than lots of the speculation going on in here. This is a space that users and watchdogs have a legit point over how Disney could stronghand users into sharing more than they realize (the rental car agreement analogy).

Now to what you were saying about Disney selling collected data, but not personal data. Why would that cause a stir? They do that already. There is nothing to fear from NextGen in that sense. And IMO, there is even less to fear about NextGen in this sense because the type of info they can collect has limited value outside of Disney and it's partners because Disney is such a focused environment. And stuff that is valuable from an operational standpoint - it makes sense for Disney to keep as it's proprietary knowledge.

To sum up
- the claims of 'there will be no opt-out' are most likely being misconstrued into meaning no opt-out for anything
- people can not use 'personal data' and 'collected data' interchangeably when talking privacy
- I can not see any scenario where Disney does not allow opt-out of sharing of personal data
- The legit concern of privacy advocates is what default Disney applies and how well Disney informs customers and makes it easy for customers to control (This is the classic Facebook problem)

There is always going to be 'leakage' of your data even if you opt out of sharing because of exceptions in policy about joint marketing and internal usage. But that is a bridge crossed long ago.

What I think will be interesting to see is if Disney plays progressive.. and actually offers profiles, that simply lack contact info. If you want to be about your info... we will create a unique profile for you, but exclude any info that can link that profile to you. Then you have best of both worlds. Usability isn't nearly as nice, but both sides get 'most' of what they want.

CoachG

But I'm also a fan, and this entire project is one where TWDC gets the vast majority of benefit, while some guests (to varying degrees in proportion to how much they likely paid) get the rest.

I appreciate the insights and behind the scenes info 74 brings but this is what the heart of the matter is I think. Like I said before - if the price tag on this project was 5 billion and we were getting new rides and proper maintenance on the old ones or monorail expansion or whatever and NextGen was just part of the bill I think far fewer people would have a problem with it because the fans would have a large benefit for them and TWDC would have their benefits from NextGen. Instead Disney seems to basically be saying they're spending 2 billion worth of money customers have put into the company over the years in order to compile a bunch of data on those customers to sell off in hopes of making back that 2 billion and then some over time.

Given that scenario I think its pretty easy to see why so many people may feel like they're just being used by TWDC as opposed to being appreciated as guests spending LOTS of their hard earned money in WDW. There are actually some positives for the guest in Next Gen it seems but its definitely not being done in the interest of the guest and its easy to see how those minor positives can be overlooked when one side is getting FAR more benefit out of something in this customer/business relationship.

ULPO46

I appreciate the insights and behind the scenes info 74 brings but this is what the heart of the matter is I think. Like I said before - if the price tag on this project was 5 billion and we were getting new rides and proper maintenance on the old ones or monorail expansion or whatever and NextGen was just part of the bill I think far fewer people would have a problem with it because the fans would have a large benefit for them and TWDC would have their benefits from NextGen. Instead Disney seems to basically be saying they're spending 2 billion worth of money customers have put into the company over the years in order to compile a bunch of data on those customers to sell off in hopes of making back that 2 billion and then some over time.

Given that scenario I think its pretty easy to see why so many people may feel like they're just being used by TWDC as opposed to being appreciated as guests spending LOTS of their hard earned money in WDW. There are actually some positives for the guest in Next Gen it seems but its definitely not being done in the interest of the guest and its easy to see how those minor positives can be overlooked when one side is getting FAR more benefit out of something in this customer/business relationship.
Welcome new member. Out of all post i have seen so far in this thread your makes the most logical sense. You explained why so many people outside of this blog are ed off tos ee what this nexgen stuff is. Thank you for your contribution.

disneyeater

I have read all 91 pages of this thread (man I got to get a life). Here is my take:

If you don't think Disney will be selling some of this data to a 3rd party, I think you are crazy. That said, I don't think the impact will be much more than some additional junk mail in your mailbox or email account.

I think the concerns about privacy may be a little overblown.

I think the concerns about waittimes are somewhat legit. While this system may help spread lines accross the park, it will likely make my walk-ons a 20 minute wait while my "E-tickets" go from 130 minutes to 90 minutes which is still longer than I am willing to wait in a line. So, unless you are the type that waits 2 plus hours in line, it will be worse for you.

The preplanning aspect will be liked by some and hated by others. I don't mind because my ADRs generally tell me what parks I will be in and when, but I know not all plan like this.

I don't think it is the death of park hopping. I generally don't buy hoppers but if I could schedule DHS fastpasses in the afternoon, I would be more likely to hop to MK in the morning knowing I would still be able to ride TSM.

That said, if you are not a planner, this just compounds the problem for you and I can see it making a trip to WDW a real pain to the point that I would think someone like my brother would choose to vacation else where.....of course when I now tell him he can sleep in and still ride some of the rides he misses when he goes now because of the line, he may change his mind.

Overall, I don't have an issue with the company doing something that benefits the company and not the guest, but it would have been smarter of them to couple it with a big new attraction to make it look better for everyone. The spending on this is fine, especially if they get a nice ROI, but only if it does not replace or postpone spending on attractions.

PBarton

What I'm saying was that for the price of a ticket, every guest was entitled to the same park experience. The same access to FP, the sane ability to visit a restaurant, to get a good parade or fireworks viewing spot, etc.
Under the new system, if you opt out...no FP for you. No booking a parade spot or FP in advance.

Of course there have always been extra-cost add-ons like tours or better hotels to enhance your visit, but the floor, the minimum, remained no matter what.
This new plan changes that. A $90 ticket doesn't provide the same experience to those who opt out. FP+ does gave a cost...you have to opt in and take part in NextGen.
Andy Warhol Said it best....

Quote "What's great about this country is that America started the tradition where the richest consumers buy essentially the same things as the poorest. You can be watching TV and see Coca-Cola, and you know that the President drinks Coca-Cola, Liz Taylor drinks Coca-Cola, and just think, you can drink Coca-Cola, too. A Coke is a Coke and no amount of money can get you a better Coke than the one the bum on the corner is drinking. All the Cokes are the same and all the Cokes are good. Liz Taylor knows it, the President knows it, the bum knows it, and you know it"

Disney used to be "Coca-Cola" - with next gen it is now becoming Wine... Some will have the Finest Champagne, others Vinegar....

Leaves a bitter taste in the mouth..

alphac2005

Andy Warhol Said it best....

Quote "What's great about this country is that America started the tradition where the richest consumers buy essentially the same things as the poorest. You can be watching TV and see Coca-Cola, and you know that the President drinks Coca-Cola, Liz Taylor drinks Coca-Cola, and just think, you can drink Coca-Cola, too. A Coke is a Coke and no amount of money can get you a better Coke than the one the bum on the corner is drinking. All the Cokes are the same and all the Cokes are good. Liz Taylor knows it, the President knows it, the bum knows it, and you know it"

Disney used to be "Coca-Cola" - with next gen it is now becoming Wine... Some will have the Finest Champagne, others Vinegar....

Leaves a bitter taste in the mouth..

They've perfected it in the resorts for quite some time. Over the years, the disparity between service and quality between the value, moderate, and deluxe resorts have become rather in your face and obvious. There for quite some time was a feeling of appreciation and respect no matter where on the ladder you decided to stay on property, but that's long gone. There's nothing like paying for their mid-range hotels that would buy you a deluxe, four star resort elsewhere. I refuse to pay for a deluxe at Disney anymore because of those reasons.

IWant2GoNow

Whenever I hear the phrase "Mark of the Beast" my eyes roll so hard I get a headache and I completely strip all credibility from the speaker.
Fair bet she didn't believe all that nonsense and just didn't want to be tracked.

I completely agree with the "mark of the beast" sentiment. I think the odd thing to me was the federal court overruling & forcing her to wear the badge or transfer. Seems a bit harsh to impose that on a student who is basically just trying to learn.

In no way am I saying Disney is going to go to this extreme (at least I would hope not) but these types of things are already being brought up in court I guess. I try to stay as far away from the news as possible so this could have been going on for years & I probably am just living under a rock but RFID in schools attached to students? I had no idea it had already become this integrated in society. Crazy.

SirLink

I completely agree with the "mark of the beast" sentiment. I think the odd thing to me was the federal court overruling & forcing her to wear the badge or transfer. Seems a bit harsh to impose that on a student who is basically just trying to learn.

In no way am I saying Disney is going to go to this extreme (at least I would hope not) but these types of things are already being brought up in court I guess. I try to stay as far away from the news as possible so this could have been going on for years & I probably am just living under a rock but RFID in schools attached to students? I had no idea it had already become this integrated in society. Crazy.

Well a certain Mr.Smith on a the Disney blog has said:

Tom Smith Disney Blog said:
Guests staying at Walt Disney World Resort hotels, and Annual Passholders will receive a band, as well as those guests who purchase a photography package. All other guests will receive a ticket with features of touch to enter the park, touch to redeem FastPass+ and touch to pay. These guests can participate in My Disney Experience and purchase a MagicBand if they wish.

The phrasing, seems to me at least, they will tag you...you gotta love it though they want you to pay them to get, not a great product(IMHO)and get tracked to tell them that ...

CoachG

Welcome new member. Out of all post i have seen so far in this thread your makes the most logical sense. You explained why so many people outside of this blog are ed off tos ee what this nexgen stuff is. Thank you for your contribution.

Thanks - I think it was a huge blunder by Disney to tout this as something on its own that was a benefit to its customers. I know they couldn't hide the program but at the very least they should have announced it as an overall package of improvements with either New Fantasyland or better yet with whatever (if anything) they're going to do at DHS. If it was all one big bill we would all have a more difficult time assigning cost to the program itself and we'd all be high on pixie dust from an expansion project with some actual meat to it to care that much. Instead they put NextGen front and center and then basically insulted us all by making it seem like they're laying out 2 billion for our sake.

IWant2GoNow

Well a certain Mr.Smith on a the Disney blog has said:

The phrasing, seems to me at least, they will tag you...you gotta love it though they want you to pay them to get, not a great product(IMHO)and get tracked to tell them that ...

Well, I kinda meant the extreme as to enforce people to wear bands by taking them to court. I guess the result of this is on a lesser scale of wear the band or have the ticket or don't go to WDW. :/

tomman710

Everything about this is annoying. The program is annoying, TDO is annoying, the fact that we are discussing this is annoying, the fact that I keep reading threads about it is annoying.

TDO is just draining every last drop of excitement and MAGIC from the whole experience of WDW.

SirLink

Everything about this is annoying. The program is annoying, TDO is annoying, the fact that we are discussing this is annoying, the fact that I keep reading threads about it is annoying.

TDO is just draining every last drop of excitement and MAGIC from the whole experience of WDW.

Unfortunately this is a buddy buddy job in Burbank - remember if this was TDO it would of been value engineered to nothing(which in this particular case, would of been a good one)...

tomman710

Unfortunately this is a buddy buddy job in Burbank - remember if this was TDO it would of been value engineered to nothing(which in this particular case, would of been a good one)...

True, TDO was not alone, but I was trying to be succinct and rattling off all the ways TDO is annoying would have made the post longer ... one example it's annoying that 2 billion was approved for this project designed to take as much money as possible from guests already in the parks but TDO can't find enough in their coffers to approve anything new that would add value to get guests to come to the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom