Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
If we are to believe that just one blogger among the industry that now is Disney Lifestyle sites was able to procure and place a targeted CM document (I can't imagine any company thinking of hiring a prospective employee who has complete disregard for prorprietary internal documents.) ... did everyone else drop the ball? Even @wdwmagic? Considering the amount of attention this thread (and this aspect of in particular) is garnering, one must find that beyond odd. ... And to just place it up there on a Sunday afternoon ... such peculiar timing.

Keep reading ... I've got more info to come. Lots of it. ... I just hate making folks in Celebration Place, TDO or even Burbank have to work on the weekend while I lounge around and enjoy it all!

asianway

I think it's likely past the point of no return. They're probably gonna have to stick with it for quite a while and get hat thy can from it.
No way they want to take a $2billion hit.
They got the hometown discount from Lucas, I'm sure they'll try to wrap the two together for spin-while they're wrapping the noose around Nick & Jim of course

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I think it's likely past the point of no return. They're probably gonna have to stick with it for quite a while and get hat thy can from it.

No, and they'll want to recoup that investment as well. By as many means possible.....

SirLink

Maybe it myself projecting that this will be the John Carter of Mars of theme parks ... takes Iger, Franklin, JR, Jim, Staggs ... out the company ... but again I think I'm projecting onto this ... I just hope this doesn't venture across the Atlantic ...

Lee

Adventurer
If we are to believe that just one blogger among the industry that now is Disney Lifestyle sites was able to procure and place a targeted CM document (I can't imagine any company thinking of hiring a prospective employee who has complete disregard for prorprietary internal documents.)
That.
Lots of meaning right there.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Here's a tease though and something that Disney and its legal team and the NEXT GEN team all have had as a huge potential roadblock to fully implementing this massive project.

It would surprise everyone, and concern many, to learn just what Disney was lobbying against and not advocating for.

Just go and do research on COPPA, what it is and why we have it (no, I won't hold your hand or send you links) ... and I'll drop some interesting morsels of where Disney fits into this all a little later. Oh, and rest assured, you won't find a response to this on ANY blog, 'cause they don't have one yet.

And to the folks who forced my hand with this, you probably shouldn't have done that. And while I am a playful Spirit at times, I don't like games.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
If we are to believe that just one blogger among the industry that now is Disney Lifestyle sites was able to procure and place a targeted CM document (I can't imagine any company thinking of hiring a prospective employee who has complete disregard for prorprietary internal documents.) ... did everyone else drop the ball? Even @wdwmagic? Considering the amount of attention this thread (and this aspect of in particular) is garnering, one must find that beyond odd. ... And to just place it up there on a Sunday afternoon ... such peculiar timing.

Keep reading ... I've got more info to come. Lots of it. ... I just hate making folks in Celebration Place, TDO or even Burbank have to work on the weekend while I lounge around and enjoy it all!

wdwmagic dropping the ball!?!?! Never LOL ;)

What has been going around today was originally published on Jan 3 2013 as an internal document for cast members. It looks like someone has decided to publish that on the internet. Not something I would do.

Lil Fort

Here's a tease though and something that Disney and its legal team and the NEXT GEN team all have had as a huge potential roadblock to fully implementing this massive project.

It would surprise everyone, and concern many, to learn just what Disney was lobbying against and not advocating for.

Just go and do research on COPPA, what it is and why we have it (no, I won't hold your hand or send you links) ... and I'll drop some interesting morsels of where Disney fits into this all a little later. Oh, and rest assured, you won't find a response to this on ANY blog, 'cause they don't have one yet.

And to the folks who forced my hand with this, you probably shouldn't have done that. And while I am a playful Spirit at times, I don't like games.
As a web developer I know all about COPPA. Hmmmm... It will be interesting to see how this fits in... Waiting on pins and needles!

asianway

wdwmagic dropping the ball!?!?! Never LOL ;)

What has been going around today was originally published on Jan 3 2013 as an internal document for cast members. It looks like someone has decided to publish that on the internet. Not something I would do.
There seems to be zero regard for posting company assets on the interwebz nowadays-they may as well give every guest a hub password

Lil Fort

I'm going to take a stab in the dark at this one. Does it have anything to do with the fact that COPPA has recently been extended to mobile devices and Disney is integrating their mobile apps with all of this NextGen stuff???

flynnibus

Premium Member
Regardless of what I do anywhere, what right does anyone have to require that I carry a tracking device?

They have a right to impose conditions on you to use their service. Just like every website you visit tracks your usage and where you visit on the page.. and many services go far further. They have a 'right' because it's THEIR service and they can impose restrictions where they please as long as they do not fly counter to existing laws.

The courts have ruled that a convicted felon can be forced to wear a tracking device as terms of parole. What 'crime' have I committed that allows anyone to track me in such an intrusive manner?

As a customer, you are free to not use the services of company that you do not agree to their terms of use. There is no crime, and no one is forcing you to use that company.

We are not talking about (for example) a camera that is used to monitor crowds as a whole. We are talking about an active tracking device that Disney will require me to carry, tracking me individually.

The camera can track you individually as well - for the purpose of this conversation - they are equivalent. Your movements are not hidden while moving through the park. And you've yet to answer how they are worthy of keeping private or worry about them being used in some way.

Imagine my employer requiring me to carry a tracking device as the price of staying employed. Imagine the U.S. Government requiring me to carry a tracking device as the price of remaining in the country.

1) you can't mix government and private industry interchangeably. They are fundamentally different and separated in our laws and constitution.
2) Any company that uses card readers on all locked doors is effectively tracking you the same as Disney would.

And by offering discounts ONLY to people who partake in the discount programs... retailers are in effect forcing customers to opt-in now too. Tracking all their customer activity in the store.

Location services within the store is worthy of protecting how? Until you answer that question.. you're causing a panic about something that is worthless to you.

I suggest you consider reading United States v. Jones:

The case has nothing to do with private industry - but protections against unreasonable search by the government. Again - not interchangeable concepts.

If you cannot see how patently offensive the mere concept of being required to carry a tracking device is, then our democracy is doomed.

I differentiate between my beliefs and what actual law is.

I report my location by submitting user times to Wait Time apps. I don't find it offensive to use my location as part of the way to improve services I'm already consuming.

Cosmic Commando

I think I got something. This is a little old, and I don't know what became of it, but here's a start (emphasis is mine):
From 9/25/12:
http://www.nationaljournal.com/blog...blast-proposed-change-to-child-privacy-law-25
Privacy Advocates Blast Proposed Change to Child Privacy Law

Privacy advocates are calling on the Federal Trade Commission to reject a proposal first offered by the Walt Disney Company that would change how companies comply with a 1998 law requiring websites directed at children to obtain parental consent before collecting personal information from child users.
In comments filed by Monday's midnight deadline, a coalition of privacy and public interest groups voiced concern with a proposal made by Disney during the first round of comments on proposed revisions to the rule implementing the 1998 Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, or COPPA. Last year, the FTC proposed updating the rule to reflect changes in technology and the different ways children access online information.
The law bars online sites or services "directed at children" from collecting personal information from children under 13 without first obtaining their parents' consent.
In its filing late last year on the first set of revisions to COPPA proposed by the FTC, Disney, which operates cable channels and websites popular with children, called on the commission to loosen its definition of a website "directed at children." The company proposed creating a "family-friendly" classification for some websites that would recognize that not all of visitors to sites currently classified as "directed at children" are children.
Under Disney's proposal, the COPPA requirements would only kick in for "family-friendly" sites when such a site is dealing with children under 13. In that situation, the site would either not collect personal data from the child or would have to obtain parental consent. The company argued that if the FTC moves forward with more strict definitions of personal data and other changes to COPPA, older children may seek out better online experiences on websites directed at broader audiences that do not provide the same level of privacy protections.
The proposal would provide "a rational path for the development of family-friendly, privacy-protective Internet content and services, which would in turn encourage greater investment in family-friendly services such as premium content incorporated into a family-oriented service," Disney said in its December 2011 comments. "The resulting increase in family-friendly options would provide greater privacy protection to children by giving them more appropriate online outlets than are available today."
The FTC appears to be open to the proposal. In additional changes it proposed in August to COPPA, the FTC called for allowing a website or online service "that is designed for both children and a broader audience to comply with COPPA without having to treat all its users as children."
In a filing on this latest proposed change to COPPA, the Center for Digital Democracy, which filed comments on behalf of several privacy and public interest groups such as Consumers Union and the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse, argued that children would have less protection online if this change is implemented. Jeff Chester, the Center for Digital Democracy's executive director, said if the FTC makes the change to COPPA, "all of sudden a clearly targeted-to-children site ... would no longer have to implement COPPA throughout the site."
Given this, Chester's group argued in its comments that "the proposed language would permit child-directed websites or services to avoid COPPA by 'age gating,' and children's privacy would receive much less protections as a result."
Bottom line seems to be if there are/were no changes to COPPA and their FP+ website/app gets classified as "directed at children", their data mining dreams go completely out the window. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the reason there's a "mydisneyexperience.com" instead of integrating it into disney.com or disneyworld.com. Now to find out what happened since 9/25/12.

SirLink

Ok I'm a Brit but I'm feeling that because a huge piece of the puzzle was tailored experiences while data mining. That they can't use any of the data in the M+G as they would technically be giving the info gathered from web portal, mobile or not, to a third party. Again that from my limited research in bed - it could lead to issues selling...using...or something worse with the data... thus their dreams to sell data of entire families go up in smoke. So how do they profit from this again...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom