Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

ParentsOf4

There are many things in the quote provided by 1974 (via Lee) that disturb me. Perhaps chief of which is:
To reach the profit targets and overarching design goals set for this project, as well as export the technology and its fruit to other companies, Disney understood early on that there could be no opt-out for any guest.
Does this mean Disney intends to sell the information and technology to third party companies? Despite all my doom-and-gloom posts on NextGen, even I never thought Disney would be so brazen, so disgustingly money-hungry.

Animaniac93-98

Somone should contact Disney and request a Terms and Conditions document for use of this "NextGen" stuff. I'd like to know specifically what infomration they require from guests, who has (or may have) access to it, etc.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if such a document has not been finalized yet.

ParentsOf4

Somone should contact Disney and request a Terms and Conditions document for use of this "NextGen" stuff. I'd like to know specifically what infomration they require from guests, who has (or may have) access to it, etc.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if such a document has not been finalized yet.
The following links to the current NextGen terms and conditions on the Disney website:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/media/park-experience-terms-and-conditions.html

That, in turn, links to their generic Privacy Policy, which includes the following:
We will not share your personal information outside The Walt Disney Family of Companies except in limited circumstances, including:
  • When you allow us to share your personal information with another company, such as:
    • Electing to share your personal information with carefully selected companies so that they can send you offers and promotions about their products and services
    • Directing us to share your personal information with third-party sites or platforms, such as social networking sites
    Please note that once we share your personal information with another company, the information received by the other company becomes subject to the other company's privacy practices.
  • When we cooperate with financial institutions to offer co-branded products or services to you, such as our co-branded Disney Rewards Visa Card; however, we will do so only if permitted by applicable law and, in these cases, the financial institutions are prohibited from using your personal information for purposes other than those related to the co-branded products or services
  • When companies perform services on our behalf, like package delivery and customer service; however, these companies are prohibited from using your personal information for purposes other than those requested by us or required by law
  • When we share personal information with third parties in connection with the sale of a business, to enforce our Terms of Use or rules, to ensure the safety and security of our guests and third parties, to protect our rights and property and the rights and property of our guests and third parties, to comply with legal process or in other cases if we believe in good faith that disclosure is required by law

orky8

I don't get freaked out about the big brother stuff -- if Disney wants to know where I am 24/7 while on their property, that's their prerogative. What really, really tees me up though, is what a colossal waste of a billion dollars this whole kerfuffle is. If Disney spent that billion dollars on attractions, you wouldn't need to spend a billion dollars tracking my every move to determine what gets me to come back -- and hint, its not targeted advertising. Having just returned from DLR for New Years its easy to see how effective a return on investment it is for Disney to simply build good rides. Shocking, but Walt knew what he was doing when he built Disneyland as a place families could spend time together, instead of a place they could be browsing their smartphones while being tracked around stale and often crumbling attractions.

And, I know this has been said, but having finally seen it for myself, RSR is absolutely stunning. Mermaid, even on NYE, was a walk-on because while a good attraction, DCA doesn't try to deceive you into thinking it is the focal point of the park. And they don't waste fastfass on attractions that don't need it just so they can track who is using a fastpass. Small world layover, also, stunning -- an incredibly nice and well down and amazingly large amount of work.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Paranoia and conspiracy theories aside... Who cares?

If Disney targets me for specific advertising based on what I do or don't do in their parks, I still have the option to ignore said advertising. There is no private information being collected that they can't get or glean elsewhere.

flynnibus

Premium Member
'74 asked me to drop this here for him, due to his inability to post certain things.
Enjoy!

??? What's the context here? This is obviously written external to the company and could have just as easily written by anyone of us with the info we already had. 'Wheres the beef' as they say?

Things don't add up. They push this 'there is no opt out' else it doesn't 'work' yet acknowledge lack of full planning for all customer types. Or do they really mean they needed to assume no opt-in for it to be functional.

I don't see how they can possibly survive the pr and customer issues without an anonymize feature to opt out. Privacy advocates here will skewer them, and Europeans used to much higher privacy standards will push back.

One can easily twist no opt-in into half truths.

If anything this write up maybe sounds like market analyst coverage ? But the tone sounds off for that too. Maybe even just a reporter writing...

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese

If Disney targets me for specific advertising based on what I do or don't do in their parks, I still have the option to ignore said advertising. There is no private information being collected that they can't get or glean elsewhere.

While I partly agree and understand your viewpoint... if there are questions of legality with aspects of this... that could be problematic and it could be a PR nightmare.

Animaniac93-98

??? What's the context here? This is obviously written external to the company and could have just as easily written by anyone of us with the info we already had. 'Wheres the beef' as they say?

Things don't add up. They push this 'there is no opt out' else it doesn't 'work' yet acknowledge lack of full planning for all customer types. Or do they really mean they needed to assume no opt-in for it to be functional.

I don't see how they can possibly survive the pr and customer issues without an anonymize feature to opt out. Privacy advocates here will skewer them, and Europeans used to much higher privacy standards will push back.

One can easily twist no opt-in into half truths.

If anything this write up maybe sounds like market analyst coverage ? But the tone sounds off for that too. Maybe even just a reporter writing...

And these questions emphasize the need on Disney's part to come up with an understandable, yet thorough, explanation as to exactly what "NextGen" consists of for its investors and customers. Otherwise we're going to be deabating half-truths and specualtion forever (not that we here don't always do, but those outside these boards will continue to be doing the same).

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
While I partly agree and understand your viewpoint... if there are questions of legality with aspects of this... that could be problematic and it could be a PR nightmare.
WDW survived the "PR nightmare" when the biometrics scans were ranted against in the same manner. "OMG they're fingerprinting me and sharing it with the CIA!" was the inanity of the day. They'll comfortably survive this not matter how much '74 stirs the paranoiac pot.

There's nothing illegal being done or even suggested by Disney that I can see. But "haters gonna hate".

Nemo14

With all due respect Monty (you know I luv ya'), I care. I care that my privacy is being invaded, and I care that a place I have enjoyed for many years is basically taking advantage of me while I spend hard-earned money there. And I care that so much money has been invested in this, while attractions that need TLC have been allowed to deteriorate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom