Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

Disneyhead'71

I get the resentment/disdain that people seem to have for the way Disney is spending $2 billion dollars and not giving them what they want. But people seem to have the sentiment that this is the last $2B Disney is ever going to spend on WDW. Ever. That since maintenance isn't discussed in this expenditure, that it never will be done and the downward spiral will never be stopped. I look at this as an investment in their infrastructure in which they are also convinced will enhance a majority of customers experience in at least some way and will give them an ROI or future profit stream to justify the cost. Personally, I'd like the money spent a different way. But it's not my company. I also want them to be successful and make the kind of money that they can remain an ongoing and growing entity. innovation/expansion/maintenance is undoubtedly part of their vision for the future as well. NextGen is not the last project coming out of TWDC. It's the one they chose now and we're stuck with it. i hope for positive things to come of it. I don't want to see a $2B fail. But I also eagerly await the green-light for the next exciting project.

At the pace of additions over the past decade, we may see something open by the time my youngest goes to college (she's in middle school). Yes, NextGen is the current multi-Billion $$$$ Project. The last major project was aimed at little girls and didn't include an E-Ticket. The one before that has been broken since it's 2nd year of operation.

Yes, Disney can spend their money as they see fit, and I can spend mine as I see fit. From recent reports, the place is packed, so some people must love what they are doing. I don't. It's that simple. I like new cutting edge attractions. And by cutting edge, I don't mean interactive.

Disneyhead'71

Although I suppose that these previous posts about "which would you prefer" have been an entertaining switch from the thread, but, not only is it a wasted argument, but it doesn't take into consideration an important thing. That would be that the likelihood of that 1.5 billion or 2 billion, if it makes one feel better, ever being assigned to the theme parks is almost a total daydream. Disney Co. is huge. It has more hands reaching out for money then one can even imagine. It is from a completely different budget then the standard theme park budget. Separately allocated and completely out of the control of the heads of the parks. NextGen was, in all probability never intended to enhance anyones experience. It was designed to be a tool for management to determine demand on product, park space, popularity of specific rides and spending habits of every cross section of guests from filthy rich to scratched a few bucks together to bring the kids to WDW or DL or whatever park you care to name.

In order to easily sell this to the public, they then threw in a few perks for using the system that would be a selling point for their guests. The same as a store card will occasionally offer you a discount for signing on to their "I know what you bought" card. In other words, that money would never have seen the light of day in any Disney park, no matter what one wishes. WDW being the largest of Disney's property representing that cross section completely, is the reason why it is being done in WDW and not DLR. It will be in all of them if it works out the way they anticipated. A test track, if you will.

That money would have gone to some other project in the Disney Carousel of Vasts Interests. Until someone comes up with real doable additions that they can budget for and build, you will not see much of anything built here. I believe that they have started to get the hard slap of reality that Universal is inflicting on the future of WDW and that we will see some changes happening, but no more or no less then what would have been spent with or without NextGen.
Major additions don't come out of the individual parks budget. They approved and funded by the Parks and Resorts Division. And I believe that you are wrong that NextGen isn't effecting funding for future projects.

And speaking of Universal, they are about to deliver an MMA-style beat down on a bloated and out of shape mouse.

Virtual Toad

Again we are splitting hairs on what we assume the future of FP will be and most assume there will be available Day FP released just like they do at this time.

So what you are saying in that instance is what my example was. As an AP resident I wake up in my home at 8:30 when ropes drop at DHS book my 10am FP for TSMM. Jump in the shower get in my car park and walk into DHS just in time for my 10am FP.

Again all assumptions on how the future of FP will be w/o paper tickets because as of now as an AP you still will have to rush when ropes drop to get a FP. They could set up something for the AP where you are given a band and registered to you so you can log in before on mymagic+. At this time we are all assuming...

Does this not make sense to you?

Yes, but you're assuming there won't be an electronic "run with the bulls," when, most likely, the Deluxe guest will already have picked clean most of the preferred FP+ times and attractions.

Riding TSMM as an AP holder is far from easy under today's circumstances, and I hope I'm wrong, but I just do not forsee FP+ suddenly opening up a huge number of FPs for popular attractions. There will be scant left, even online, day of. And you won't be the only one trying to score those FPs.

Ever jockey online for concert tickets? Is riding TSMM such an amazing experience that I'll want to compete online for a chance to ride it? Or will my family and I just take our money and leisure time somewhere else?

Disneyhead'71

One of the major improvements with NextGen will be speedier entrance into the various parks. All of us have stood in long lines to enter the parks as people fumble with their admission media and also have to stop to have their finger scanned. The Magic Band will eliminate the admission media delays but for now, you still have to submit to the biometric finger scan.

In the future (not yet sure when) the finger scans will be eliminated and the biometric scan will be facial recognition. You will not have to stop to insert your admission media into a reader and you will not have to stop to have your finger scanned. With the Magic Band you'll just walk by the Mickey reader and wave your hand. Disney has used facial recognition for many years now. I'm not entirely sure why they haven't switched over to facial recognition. It could be that since some people have been so upset about the NextGen initiative, that Disney doesn't want to increase the freak out factor among these worrisome folks.

http://www.businessinsider.com/this...lations-about-trapwire-spying-are-true-2012-8
One reason they aren't using facial recognition for park entry is that for some odd reason, people here in the Sunshine State like to wear sunglasses.

Goofyernmost

Major additions don't come out of the individual parks budget. They approved and funded by the Parks and Resorts Division. And I believe that you are wrong that NextGen isn't effecting funding for future projects.

And speaking of Universal, they are about to deliver an MMA-style beat down on a bloated and out of shape mouse.
While I will agree that it is hard to wrap one's head around a figure like 1.5 billion, I don't think that they can afford to not invest more into WDW regardless of what they have spent on other things. To Disney 1.5 billion is parking meter change. :)

rioriz

There are HUGE aspects of this program that I am not comfortable with and I don't like!

The fact that this creepy program is monumentally expensive only compounds my disgruntled disappointment that they haven't added a major attraction to the MK in my daughter's lifetime (and she is preparing to go to college). They are dragging a 40 year old used parade down Main Street at night, an 11 year old parade during the day. The fireworks show is a decade old. All the minor additions have been aimed at toddlers. They haven't added a major attraction anywhere across the resort in 6 years. Pleasure Island has been ply boarded up for 5 years. The only recent additions to DHS and Epcot were do-overs. And they spend $1.5+Billion on NextGEN? Really?

So you are still discussing "what could have been" in your response...that leaves be to gather even with major addtitions plus Next Gen you still would be unsatisfied becasue it is "creepy"?

djlaosc

Now I will hope that WDW will somehow enhance my experience like they claim...how can this info help them help me? Well if someone in dispatch sees 30 guest entering MSUSA heading towards the exit that are staying at Pop while only two that are at AoA, maybe they can have the correct bus going to the correct resort....

I don't know if this would work, because you may not be going back to your actual resort, but I hope that they do use the RFID to help improve the bus service.

For example,

At every hotel bus stop, there could be a touch-screen kiosk - a member of your party taps the Mickey Icon to start.

Then, there are touch screen icons for...
Magic Kingdom
Epcot
Disney's Hollywood Studios
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Downtown Disney
Disney's Boardwalk
WinterSummerland
Fantasia Gardens
ESPN Wide World of Sports
Disney Resorts

You choose your option, and then you choose how many of your party are wanting to use the transportation (and if there are any ECVs/wheelchairs in your party, so that they could get more busses if necessary to accomodate more than one ECV waiting, etc.) And then hopefully this would help speed up the needed busses.

Boardwalk/Fantasia Gardens/ESPN/Other Resorts transportation could use mini busses like those used by Alamo to get you to Disney Car Care Center.

At the theme parks/water parks/DTD, they would just have to have a Mickey Pole at the entrance to the queue that you tap your card/band against so they could roughly (someone will forget to do it) know how many people are waiting for the bus.

Of course, most of this could be done with the current system, they just don't do it, so I don't know whether they will do anything to help the bus system.

rioriz

Yes, but you're assuming there won't be an electronic "run with the bulls," when, most likely, the Deluxe guest will already have picked clean most of the preferred FP+ times and attractions.

Riding TSMM as an AP holder is far from easy under today's circumstances, and I hope I'm wrong, but I just do not forsee FP+ suddenly opening up a huge number of FPs for popular attractions. There will be scant left, even online, day of. And you won't be the only one trying to score those FPs.

Ever jockey online for concert tickets? Is riding TSMM such an amazing experience that I'll want to compete online for a chance to ride it? Or will my family and I just take our money and leisure time somewhere else?

Sure you can take it elsewhere anytime you want. And yes it is an assumption there won't be regular FP (which is a popular one even insiders agree upon). What we can't argue about is the amount of tickets opened up. Could be the same as today, could be more, could be less. Until that time comes and there is definitive proof either way I see no need to harp on that which we may never experience.

I am going in two months and will experience things in whatever form they are then and will make a judgment on them. Until then it does not good dwelling on how much fun I may or may not have some point in the future when things may or may not affect me a certain way. I try to live in the here and now, and I could go to WDW and enjoy myself w/o NG full impact and that's all that matters at this time. Or I can do like I often do and enjoy Uni as it is.

Disneyhead'71

Riding TSMM as an AP holder is far from easy under today's circumstances, and I hope I'm wrong, but I just do not forsee FP+ suddenly opening up a huge number of FPs for popular attractions. There will be scant left, even online, day of.

We have already seen the Disney model of accommodating "Day ofs" with their ADR system. Good luck dining at Cindy's Royal Table or Le Cellier without at least a modicum of pre-planning. If Disney is going to make no effort to accommodate local APers at places they are likely to drop a couple a bills for dinner. What are the chances that they will do it for "free" attractions?

Another aspect of this NextGen program is so that they can schedule employees to their advantage. We have seen that at work with the ADR system. As in being turned away from EVERY table service restaurant in the park even though all of them are half empty. I expect a lot more of this when NextGen gets fully implemented. They call that strategic scheduling.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't know if this would work, because you may not be going back to your actual resort, but I hope that they do use the RFID to help improve the bus service.

For example,

At every hotel bus stop, there could be a touch-screen kiosk - a member of your party taps the Mickey Icon to start.

The cheaper way... Just put up a sign.. and all you do is tap your band on the location you want to go. No touchscreens to break, clean, etc.

This is another potential use of the bands... feedback systems.

In other parts of the world.. where people respect each other.. I've seen a simple kiosk at the exit of a restaurant that simply had a smiley face or a frown. You just pushed a button to represent which level of satisfaction you just had at the restaurant. Boom.. instant, simple, cost effective feedback system for the location. It's so bloody simple.. its genius.

Now the problem here in the states is.. no one respects anything.. so people would just keep pushing the buttons, etc and screw things up.

But with the RFID tags... we now have a way of ensuring each guest's input only counts once (per cycle.. whatever that may be for the location). You could implement a feedback system like that at the exit of any interesting place. Not only do you get your survey.. but you also get the contacts of those that were unhappy. Providing you a way to possibly reach out to them afterwards and find out more detail in terms of why they were unhappy.

Virtual Toad

Until that time comes and there is definitive proof either way I see no need to harp on that which we may never experience.

Except that, when the question was posed, you used the exact same set of "unknowns" to assert that FP+ will enhance your parkgoing experience.

So in reality my harping is no different than your assertion, except perhaps that I may have a more realistic notion of what reality will look like for APers, based on the already scarce number of FPs that are left for attractions such as TSMM by the time many APers arrive at the parks today.

Disneyhead'71

While I will agree that it is hard to wrap one's head around a figure like 1.5 billion, I don't think that they can afford to not invest more into WDW regardless of what they have spent on other things. To Disney 1.5 billion is parking meter change. :)
Recent reports are that the parks have been shoulder to shoulder crowded. This will lull TDO into thinking all is well. These recent crowds may even get the PIXAR Place project shelved. Throw in a few more silly games and the folks will be thrilled.

My guess is that the crowds will stay until it hits critical mass and then attendance will go into free fall. At that point It will be too late to turn the Titanic away from the iceberg. Of course TWDC won't let WDW roll over and die, but the cost of the life support is going to be UGLY.

Disneyhead'71

So you are still discussing "what could have been" in your response...that leaves be to gather even with major addtitions plus Next Gen you still would be unsatisfied becasue it is "creepy"?
I already said that there are HUGE aspects of this program I am not comfortable with and I don't like.

And aside from the "creepy" factor, I just don't think a day at an amusement park needs to be this complicated.

rioriz

Except that, when the question was posed, you used the exact same set of "unknowns" to assert that FP+ will enhance your parkgoing experience.

So in reality my harping is no different than your assertion, except perhaps that I may have a more realistic notion of what reality will look like for APers, based on the already scarce number of FPs that are left for attractions such as TSMM by the time many APers arrive at the parks today.

Ok so the known that will enhance my experience: touch to pay, no room key, no park ticket to keep track or, easier access through the line, and FP+ if I choose to use it. Those are all known.

Unknown: when FP MAY go away I can use mymagic+ to reserve FP w/o leavign my non disney resort room

I'm sorry if it does not help all APers and I have no clue what it is like cause im not. But for a once a year visitor that knows when I am going to the park, it will enhance my trip for the stated reasons above.

And I am havign a hard time understanding the difference between Day Guest and AP in getting FP today. Dont the AP have the same option of getting to the park at opening like day guest to get FP? We are not talking about future (the unknown) but today?

Disneyhead'71

Sure you can take it elsewhere anytime you want. And yes it is an assumption there won't be regular FP (which is a popular one even insiders agree upon). What we can't argue about is the amount of tickets opened up. Could be the same as today, could be more, could be less. Until that time comes and there is definitive proof either way I see no need to harp on that which we may never experience.

I am going in two months and will experience things in whatever form they are then and will make a judgment on them. Until then it does not good dwelling on how much fun I may or may not have some point in the future when things may or may not affect me a certain way. I try to live in the here and now, and I could go to WDW and enjoy myself w/o NG full impact and that's all that matters at this time. Or I can do like I often do and enjoy Uni as it is.
Here is where I am taking my next pile of vacation dollars (be sure to click the big arrows on the pic on the front page):

http://www.cheeca.com

rioriz

I already said that there are HUGE aspects of this program I am not comfortable with and I don't like.

And aside from the "creepy" factor, I just don't think a day at an amusement park needs to be this complicated.

What are those aspects (not being rude)? That is what I feel the discussion should be geared towards due to the fact we all can agree on the "what could have been"...

Sidenote: Just found out I will be able to once again expeience the Magic Bands in a couple months at Kings Island (sans FP+). I may be biased cause I have used the system Disney is about to roll out and for me the experience was positive

Disneyhead'71

Ok so the known that will enhance my experience: touch to pay, no room key, no park ticket to keep track or, easier access through the line, and FP+ if I choose to use it. Those are all known.

Unknown: when FP MAY go away I can use mymagic+ to reserve FP w/o leavign my non disney resort room

I'm sorry if it does not help all APers and I have no clue what it is like cause im not. But for a once a year visitor that knows when I am going to the park, it will enhance my trip for the stated reasons above.

And I am havign a hard time understanding the difference between Day Guest and AP in getting FP today. Dont the AP have the same option of getting to the park at opening like day guest to get FP? We are not talking about future (the unknown) but today?
Being a local, I will have my wallet since I will need it to drive the 12 miles down there. I probably will have difficulty getting FP+s for the headliner attractions. I already have trouble getting ADRs for a lot of restaurants even though in the slow season they are half empty therefore they are half staffed. And then they want to track me through the park like a parolee. Sounds Magical®

Virtual Toad

Like many, as (now former) APers we live about 90 minutes away. FPs for TSMM are usually gone by the time we can get the kids in the car and get going. Before FP we could have arrived late-day for a ride like TSMM and ridden it before closing with a minimal wait. Now thanks to FP standby wait times are absurd even at the end of the day. So in reality we almost never got to go on TSMM unless we stayed overnight the night before and got to the park by opening.

I sincerely do wish your AP/FPP+ scenario was plausible but I fear that day-of FPs for TSMM would be such a scarce commodity that actually scoring them would be difficult if not impossible.

Plus, at the end of the day, as parents, we weigh the hassle of doing all that vs. the payoff. Is TSMM (and are Disney's other rides) really that great to justify jumping through so many hoops just to experience them?

When the dining plan came out, the net result was that as semi-locals we got shut out, and eventually we stopped trying. Again, I'd like to be wrong on this, but I really do see FP+ doing the same thing for attractions.

And at the end of the day, it's just way too much of a headache when there are other places where we can spend our money and, quite frankly, have a better time as a family doing it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom