Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Sure I only may put it on once in a blue moon for a birthday or if i have a family reunion, but do i want it or does anyone want it if they go there more than 3 times a month.
I would answer that I would enjoy it and once I'm retired and a Snow Bird, I'll look forward to it as I spend as much time in the parks as I can :cool: . What I'm having difficulty with is the seemingly irrational "OMG they will know everything about me" crowd. They'll actually know much the same things they already know with somewhat more granularity. *shrug*

ULPO46

I would answer that I would enjoy it and once I'm retired and a Snow Bird, I'll look forward to it as I spend as much time in the parks as I can :cool: . What I'm having difficulty with is the seemingly irrational "OMG they will know everything about me" crowd. They'll actually know much the same things they already know with somewhat more granularity. *shrug*
Your correct with that.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
However, this is dealing with the privacy rights of children. Children are not to have accounts under 13 on Facebook along with many other sites and where they can have access, they are to have parental consent. Now, whether a parent lies about their age to start-up an account on Facebook or elsewhere is another story, which is actually being addressed in COPPA 2.0.

The framing of the issues with the NextGen+ is children's privacy and access. How corporations are data mining to death children in all honesty is disgusting. The targeted advertising and manipulation to make your child a lifelong customer of XYZ business is just so over the top right now and what Disney is doing here is all a part of the problem. It's called cradle to the grave consumerism.

Yes, I already retracted that statement shortly after I made it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Remeber that school in Texas. The girl and her father were not able to win the caseb ecause the company was paying the school district to allow them to track their students evrey move the system works on radiof requenciess o as you pass point a and move to point b it knows and sort of pin points your location

No, once again you have some information - but have it wrong. The girl in texas lost simply because she claimed the tag was against her religion, and when they offered her a tag without RFID, she still refused the ID, and the court said making everyone wear a uniform ID card was legal. Her case was always about trying to be a poster child.. and the court threw her daddy out on his .

The thing that i dont get is that after spending so much money, why is there that opt out option? Why not tellth e media or the public?

That is another area full of 'half-truths' - Until we know how the system is rolled out.. we don't know what it means to opt-in or opt-out here.

PhotoDave219

Yes.

This was pushed by Nick Franklin (one of Jay's longtime flying monkies) when DRE basically ceased to exist and Nick had nothing in his portfolio. He and Jay hatched this around 2008-09 ... but it's important to realize that Jay isn't known for his depth ... and that Tom had plenty of time to put the brakes on this and didn't.

They have spent an obscene amount of money on datamining and tour planning.

If you want to know when they first even asked if they had issues (beyond the ones OPs has been telling them for years) relating to the public's perception of MyMagic+ it was when some information was leaked to me and I dropped it into this thread.

Yep, those bigwigs are earning their pay every day while us losers are posting on fan sites. They are so much smarter than everyone here. Even Phil Holmes. They can see things we can't (like a heightened sense of reality from purified Pixie Dust heated to 185 degrees and smoked!)

Well the original concept came from "Hey, it would be cool if we did ....." by some people trying to enhance the guest experience. What it became turned into the disaster you now have.

tomman710

The whole argument of "it's your choice to opt in" to support the pro-MyMagic sentiment (or at least the complacent acceptance of MyMagic) is ridiculous because ...

Yes, in the technical sense of the word you have a choice but Disney's goal in this is, in a philosophical sense, to leave you no choice. It's like if McDonald's decided to simply their menu to only offer two items; the Big Mac or a blender concoction of floor sweepings, then they price the Big Mac at $20 and the floor sludge smoothie at $0.75, so yes you have a choice to pick one or the other but in reality it's no choice, to a sane person.

Of course you could just not go to McDonald's ...

bcoachable

I wonder how much of the Next Gen tracking might be for security reasons...
As PC as the parks try to be, wouldn't it make sense? This would give the company a way to allow someone in the park that might be some kind of risk/threat, but be able to track their whereabouts at all times...
No, I am not a big conspiracy theorist..(most of the time ;0)

Lee

Adventurer
FPs are being phased out in favour of FP+, that's Disney's corporate choice. If you don't like it enough to stop going, that's a consequence of their freedom of choice. I personally think they won't even notice you're gone.
Here's my problem with that, and its really my biggest issue with the whole system...
Typically, I don't plan my trips to WDW very far in advance. Usually inside of a month. If FP is phased out (which I don't believe has been stated officially), what is to prevent the uber-planners from booking all the FP+ before I even book my trip?
Say I decide to go down next week....what is he likelihood I'm gonna be stuck in Standby city for my whole trip, even if I wear the band and allow myself to be mined?

Having no kids, the COPPA issue is academic for me.
Disney knowing what I buy and ride is mildly annoying, but not a huge deal.
I'm concerned about the pre-planning aspect, which at this point appears to be a must unless you really enjoy standing in long lines.

Nemo14

Here's my problem with that, and its really my biggest issue with the whole system...
Typically, I don't plan my trips to WDW very far in advance. Usually inside of a month. If FP is phased out (which I don't believe has been stated officially), what is to prevent the uber-planners from booking all the FP+ before I even book my trip?
Say I decide to go down next week....what is he likelihood I'm gonna be stuck in Standby city for my whole trip, even if I wear the band and allow myself to be mined?

I'm concerned about the pre-planning aspect, which at this point appears to be a must unless you really enjoy standing in long lines.

yes but they're Magical lines you know.

jmb2676

Yes, you will get a lesser experience. A choice you make and the consequence of it.

They are phasing out FP in favour of FP+. When the transition is complete, you won't get FPs if you've opted out, therefore your experience will be diminished by your choice.

Just more motivation to only use my DVC room as a base for seeing other things in the Central FL area. Spent 2 days @ Universal in October that could easily become 3 next trip and will probably throw in more Sea World time also. If anything, I would maybe spend a day in EPCOT as it's the only park that we really enjoy even without anything new. Also way overdue for a return to Hilton Head Island so that could be on the agenda for next year.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Simple.. Disney

Only if Disney wants you to...

That's just it with this whole thing... Disney controls all the strings. Disney can nurture this type of customer, or they can alienate them. The technology doesn't dictate this - DISNEY DOES.

That's why playing chicken little here because there is an advanced reservation model in place is ill founded. Just because it exists, doesn't mean it HAS TO BE all units available on day 1. Disney may do that.. may not.. we just have no way of knowing for sure.

But I find it hard to believe Disney would alienate so many customers.. so its my personal belief.. there will be plenty of 'day of..' reservations.

Funmeister

I was discussing this with a fellow MAGICal member earlier. I am pretty sure that Disney is going to 'announce' something next week. Nothing big ... nothing like mythical fifth gates, new EPCOT attractions, monorail expansion or the like.

More like something to get fanbois to follow the laser pointer and take their eyes off the prize.

Maybe we could have AC performances for three weekends at TPFKaTD-MGMS announced by Georgie K in his first day ... just some stupid inconsequential thing to get people off of MyMagic+ (btw, that example was just something I made up!) and talking about how Disney really does love them (it just won't do that one act in the bedroom that you really want from a lover!):D

What is the over/under on if confetti will be utilized no matter what the announcement(s)? ;)

Bryner84

Ok, finally caught up in this thread and wanted to comment on the comparison of MyMagic+ to the dining plan brought up by @RSoxNo1. We are planning an anniversary trip in June (let's just say we won't be collecting restaurant pagers to queue up for Dueling Dumbos) and out of curiosity I did a comparison of the dining plan to paying out of pocket for the restaurants we will be visiting (5 TSR total, one of which is signature). I looked at the menus and made a best guess on what me and my wife would order at each table service restaurant (one meal, one dessert, one non-alcoholic beverage per person per meal) and did the same with a logical selection of CSR's to get an exact comparison of the cost per day. I didn't choose our menu items based on what was cheapest or most expensive, just what we would probably choose, to see what value the DDP would be for us. I did not however, factor in any snacks seeing as how when we visit if I have a dessert at lunch and a dessert at dinner (truly the American way!) I have little desire or physical space for a middle of the day snack. The TSR's used in this study were Tokyo Dining dinner, Sanaa lunch, Liberty Tree Tavern lunch, LeCellier dinner, and Be Our Guest dinner.

The result? For the two of us it would be $100+ cheaper to pay out of pocket for all 10 meals than to use the dining plan. Now like I said, the DDP includes snacks which I did not. So it is fair to say, that we would have to consume $100 worth of snacks in 5 days between 2 (slim) people in addition to already having 2 desserts a day in order to break even, much less save the coveted 20% as advertised. Not to mention that without the dining plan, we have the flexibility to spend on exactly what we want (appetizer, share a dessert rather than ordering 2, etc.)

To me, this mirrors the bundling philosophy associated with MM+ that puts false value on extra offerings that you don't need. Snacks are cheap for Disney, so by automatically including them in your plan, they instantly make $$$. A Stitch's Great Escape fastpass is no different. While you may get 3 FP's per day, at least one of them is going to be crappy and (previously) unnecessary. So you are getting less experience for your $, but marketed as more. Instead of customizing exactly what you want, you are given specific parameters in which to choose from that benefit Disney rather than the consumer.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No

OK, I'm actually fairly sure that you will be able to get a certain number of day-of FP+'s, but the move seems to be to eventually be rid of the paper FPs [I don't know that for fact, just a projection on my part]. It doesn't make sense to me to maintain the paper FP system once FP+ is up and running so long as there is a mechanism in place for locals or tourists who didn't plan to take advantage of some form of FP. In some ways, it will actually diminish my experience to the extent that despite being a [slightly obsessive-compulsive] pre-planner, I will actually end up with less FPs than I usually can manage currently. It appears I'll be limited to three per day in pre-planning and may not have access to day-of or day-of will be in some way more restricted.

Much like the DDP [though possibly not as bad], the locals, off-site resorters and non-planners are certainly going to have issues with the pre-planning aspects. As with any change to procedures, there will be those who benefit more and those who lose out. How much is anybody's guess at the moment.

I too am not directly impacted by the COPPA issue, though I will agree with the Spirited One that it deserves scrutiny, just perhaps not the "OMG the sky is falling" scrutiny he seems to be a proponent of. As long as Disney does their due diligence and are subject to the law, I expect they will abide by it. If the time comes that it's proven they haven't, I'll be amongst the first to sharpen the pitchfork.

Data has to be collected legally, stored securely, its uses clearly identified before collection and only used as indicated, but until they don't do that, I'm good with the plan. FP+ pre-planning, having enhanced interaction and potentially targeted advertising are all thing that I'm not ure I'll enjoy or not until I've experienced them, but I'm not upset enough to stop going or opt out.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member

Could this level of tracking not eventually lead to issues with foreigners? Something similar of several European Nations wanting to ban body scanners, where the use of them on the foreigners here would violate certain treaties if banned there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom