Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

HMF

Most investors only care about the price of a share today versus what they paid for it. ... Most fanbois who buy a share have no interest in the company beyond whatever aspect they have a strong pull to whether it's the parks, animation, ESPN etc.

But your overall point is so on target. Most investors of all stripes certainly don't know/care about most of what said company is actually doing. I'd be an exception to that.
Which is why you shouldn't let CNBC or Fox Business or any other of the 24 hour Market-watch channels, services or "Experts" tell you how to run your company. If only WDC believed that. I have heard many stories of people investing in companies purely because of potential returns rather than any real caring or understanding of what that company entails. The greatest example of this would be Enron, I still really have no idea what their product was exactly let alone why people would invest in it. Then again I am from the old school of thinking where companies were actually about creating products rather than being money-hoarding institutions. That school of thought is rejected flat-out in today's business world but I believe and I believe Walt did too that the money is useless by itself it's what you can do with it that gives it any real value. Then again in today's world that just makes me an idealistic fool.

Cosmic Commando

And this is the biggest problem with the bastardized version of capitalism that has been running the USA (and, largely, the world) for the last few decades.

None of it lasts. It isn't built to. There's no design for building a strong company that will be around in 10 years let alone 50 or 100. All that matters is that next quarter sets records (even if it means cutting quality and employees). It is a sick vicious game that we're all part of. The meltdown of 2008 exposed what a fraud it was and is, and should have resulted in fundamental change. But ...
I was thinking about this the other day, the ridiculocrity of expecting ever-increasing profits and what it means for NextGen. Let's just say that NextGen is wildly successful and everything TWDC hoped for. That won't be enough. Even if per capita guest spending goes up 50%, that'll only satisfy the investors for a year or two. If you can suck $5,000 per person out of 30 million people per year, they'll want 35 million. Then where does Disney go from there? Fastpass+++? They have to get back to making actual additions to the parks somewhat soon, right?

SirLink

Absolutely. While Iron Man 3 and Monsters U are money in the bank for the Studios, one has to wonder about Oz: The Great and Powerful and The Lone Ranger. Those four films alone cost billions to make/market. They've got to pull in billions or Disney is in trouble (BTW, I absolutely HATE Disney's current and future plans for the Studios. You simply can't have tentpoles and sequels, all with huge budgets, and nothing in between)

Is Monsters U really money in the bank isn't it taking a lot from The Simpsons movie with the main plot revolving a small pig which causes problems...

What other films can they produce though - they never have made anything that has been made in between unless it has been pushed through Touchstone and well they did have Miramax. Which would of been useful to keep around say I don't know if you had a land in a themepark and a whole themepark which honored Hollywood.

But to be fair, they are making more Muppet films which all that matters...

djlaosc

Newer, better attractions? You do realize that UNI will basically be a completely new park in 2-3 years. No datamining bracelets required.

That's what I'm hoping for - Universal Studios was probably my #8 park last time we were in Florida (MK, E, DHS, DAK, USF, IOA, SWO, BGTB), and it was the park we spent the least time in, but with all the changes going on, I'm sure it will quickly be climbing that list!

the.dreamfinder

Absolutely. While Iron Man 3 and Monsters U are money in the bank for the Studios, one has to wonder about Oz: The Great and Powerful and The Lone Ranger. Those four films alone cost billions to make/market. They've got to pull in billions or Disney is in trouble (BTW, I absolutely HATE Disney's current and future plans for the Studios. You simply can't have tentpoles and sequels, all with huge budgets, and nothing in between)
Wasn't Alan Horn supposed to be packing the schedule with small to medium budget films to alleviate that?

tomman710

If many (most?) analysts who cover Disney had their way, then the parks and resorts would either be sold off in full or part with Disney collecting licensing fees. They don't like the inherent risks of the business. Of course, there are some in Disney who feel the same way.

Is it too late to get Comcast's offers for the park back on the table?

MattM

But your overall point is so on target. Most investors of all stripes certainly don't know/care about most of what said company is actually doing. I'd be an exception to that.

So true. For example, I see on these boards a lot that people weren't exactly thrilled about the Marvel acquisition. I dont understand that (I mean I sorta do, they want DIS to create their own stories. etc). But from a business perspective it was a great buy. You make new movies that create more opportunity for merchandising, which in Marvels case opens up a whole new demographic that DIS was losing; boys.

It was a great move. But some fanbois who are shareholders do not like it.

lazyboy97o

So true. For example, I see on these boards a lot that people weren't exactly thrilled about the Marvel acquisition. I dont understand that (I mean I sorta do, they want DIS to create their own stories. etc). But from a business perspective it was a great buy. You make new movies that create more opportunity for merchandising, which in Marvels case opens up a whole new demographic that DIS was losing; boys.

It's a great move so long as Marvel is left alone. The fear is in The Walt Disney Company's culture of synergy and interference.

rael ramone

I'd be remiss not to drop this heading into a holiday weekend (do I work on Friday or not is the question right now?) ... Coming to a MAGICal Kingdom near you is revenue-based access and experiences wrapped in a Tinkerbell bracelet brought to you by the good folks at TWDC.

I really feel bad for Georgie ... well, OK, no, I don't.

Is the patent for an RFID blocking wristband/bracelet cover still up for grabs?:D

After reading all the info about the 'super sparkly' change in the works, there is a definite type who will embrace this (and will continue to once experiencing it):

The true target of this is someone who is so enamored with getting their one good FP+ reserved in advance (and in reality it will just be one good one) that they think that New Years Eve lines for everything else in the off-season, the resulting increased distemperment of everybody who has to 'get their moneys worth', the huge spike in prices that this will entail, and the colossal amount of spam for 'Super Sugar Junk' cereal that their kids will get in their inboxes, that they think that 11am ERR for Space* is more than an acceptable tradeoff.

*- Of course if they go with the airline model for reserving ride times, they will overbook. Heavily. And if you merely have a 11 night stay in Beach Club, and at 10:45 a family with 13 nights at the Floridian walk past the sensors at the gate, then you might be deemed 'less magical' and reassigned to Stitch.

Of course all of us that do love the parks know that there are 'experiences' besides rides, shows, parades, etc. that add to the enjoyment. And they too will become FP+ events. (They have to, they'll need more inventory). Want to go over the barrel bridge? Smell the roses in the castle frontcourt? Watch a spontaneous musical performance by the Morrocan cast members? Pat Bueller or Megatron on the head over in the Affection Section? FP+ for each (and, yes, you have to have a special FP+ for each goat, and if he stays in the roped off area during your time, then too bad for you)...

But eventually they will have to add 'rides'. But not at the expense of precious 'special event' pavillions, storage space, or executive parking. For those worried that they will demo the Fountain of Nations and replace it with a spinner, you know we'll get a 'JL remembers' DVD out of it.... Whatever they add doesn't have to be good, it just has to add to the inventory.

Of course all of this has legals blessing. While the parks will eventually become 'netlands' (you know those planes that write all those messages might fall out of the sky and they need them to protect their cu$tomer$) they didn't see any reason to block the offering of $1500 increments being available to add to those wristband gift cards at the Drunk'n'Stumble festival*. They'll bless anything that makes and/or saves money.

* - I really wish people didn't do this down there. People who want to enjoy the oak notes & cherry overtones of a glass of chardonay and see how it pairs with Flank Steak with Chimichuri and Boniato Puree shouldn't have to put up with those who think alcohol = getting sauced. You aren't even going to remember it. If you insist (and I wish people didn't do stuff like this at all), please do it at home. If you need a theme to make it interesting, try to dig up a video segment of Iger the last time he was on Mad Money. Then play a game of 'Hi Bob' every time either Cramer or Iger says the word BRAND.

While everybody here (still) likes the place down in the swamps (with the possible exception of those who are here because it's part of their job description at Celebration Place), there's plenty that isn't right, some RFID related, some not. Just imagine the possibilities if SNL does a rapid fire skit about all these issues...;)

MarkTwain

It's a great move so long as Marvel is left alone. The fear is in The Walt Disney Company's culture of synergy and interference.

This. As long as Disney remains Disney and Marvel remains Marvel, then I think it's great. What I'm afraid is that we'll end up with a Disney-Marvel type deal like what happened to Pixar, where the company puts out the ideology that "Marvel is Disney now," and all the new rides and parade floats and hotel themes and website mascots are just Marvel characters. Because, y'know, they're Disney.

Like this ad for the new Disney Infinity video game coming out, "featuring everybody's favorite Disney characters." Seems a bit imbalanced to me...

raymusiccity

This. As long as Disney remains Disney and Marvel remains Marvel, then I think it's great. What I'm afraid is that we'll end up with a Disney-Marvel type deal like what happened to Pixar, where the company puts out the ideology that "Marvel is Disney now," and all the new rides and parade floats and hotel themes and website mascots are just Marvel characters. Because, y'know, they're Disney.

Like this ad for the new Disney Infinity video game coming out, "featuring everybody's favorite Disney characters." Seems a bit imbalanced to me...

Seems pretty balanced........They're all 'PIXAR'.

It's not like they're mixing in 'Disney' or 'Marvel' characters with them.

MarkTwain

Seems pretty balanced........They're all 'PIXAR'.

It's not like they're mixing in 'Disney' or 'Marvel' characters with them.

But they are. Look closely and you'll see Jack Sparrow, the little girl from Wreck-it Ralph (on the far right), and two of the characters from Frankenweenie. It's just given the choice of using any of the characters from their vast history of characters, in the end they'll always go with the Pixar characters. My concern is that eventually, Disney will do the same with Marvel. To Pixar's credit, at least most of the Pixar characters were created while they had a working relationship with Disney, so there's at least a connection to Disney's history. The same can't be said of Marvel.

ParentsOf4

In addition to the reasons already posted by lazyboy97o and MarkTwain, the Marvel acquisition does nothing for WDW. Do to Marvel's contractual limitations with Universal, TWDC essentially spent a lot of management focus and company money on something that can't help WDW. It, along with other moves, implies TWDC senior management considers WDW to be low priority. When it comes to these threads, I believe most people's #1 Disney passion is WDW. Sure, we like other Disney properties as well but, ultimately, this is a WDW fansite.

Since the Lucas Film acquisition could be used to eventually improve WDW, I get the impression that people on this site generally are supportive of that move.

djlaosc

But they are. Look closely and you'll see Jack Sparrow, the little girl from Wreck-it Ralph (on the far right), and two of the characters from Frankenweenie. It's just given the choice of using any of the characters from their vast history of characters, in the end they'll always go with the Pixar characters. My concern is that eventually, Disney will do the same with Marvel. To Pixar's credit, at least most of the Pixar characters were created while they had a working relationship with Disney, so there's at least a connection to Disney's history. The same can't be said of Marvel.

Jack Skellington is also on the trailer

lazyboy97o

I'm also concerned about executives within Disney, mostly at the Studio, wanting to be involved in Marvel's huge films. So we get some guy with no business making story decisions who has never read a Marvel comic book insisting on this and that being done to a Marvel film because he thinks it is cool or will help sell action figures at the Disney Store.

MattM

In addition to the reasons already posted by lazyboy97o and MarkTwain, the Marvel acquisition does nothing for WDW. Do to Marvel's contractual limitations with Universal, TWDC essentially spent a lot of management focus and company money on something that can't help WDW. It, along with other moves, implies TWDC senior management considers WDW to be low priority. When it comes to these threads, I believe most people's #1 Disney passion is WDW. Sure, we like other Disney properties as well but, ultimately, this is a WDW fansite.

Since the Lucas Film acquisition could be used to eventually improve WDW, I get the impression that people on this site generally are supportive of that move.

Per usual, I agree with you. And I understand the people on this sites passion is WDW. I even like it too! But when I say fanboi, I don't just mean poster's on this site. My only point is, that company-wide, the Marvel acquisition made perfect sense for $DIS.

Cosmic Commando

Wasn't Alan Horn supposed to be packing the schedule with small to medium budget films to alleviate that?
Iger has said that they wanted to stick to the reduced 8-10 film per year schedule... even though since they came up with that idea, they've bought Marvel and Lucasfilm and made the deal to distribute Dreamworks stuff. There'll be maybe a couple small movies each year unless they decide to ramp up production again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom